The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 03:49:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with finding 15 inch gauge track  (Read 391 times)
SgtBash96
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« on: August 15, 2017, 04:33:09 am »

As the title states, I'm looking to find tacks for a 15 inch live steam railway.

I plan to buy a piece of land at the point that I have the money to do so and I want to build a live steam railway for both play and work, the problem is finding the track for said railway. In some public miniature railways that I've seen (at smaller gauges) are basically flat bar steel bolted together in sections, which is fine for their size, but I want to have a bigger locomotive, so it calls for proper track.

I live in Canada so if there is any in the US, I can probably get it shipped here, but one in Canada is preferred.

Thank you guys, cheers!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:08:07 pm »

Ooooh. *sucks breath in between teeth*

At that sort of gauge you're probably having to look at either making it yourself, or commissioning it as a one off job rather than getting something 'off the shelf' anywhere. The only railways (that I know of) running on that sort of gauge are 'light railways' which are run as tourist attractions or industrial narrow gauge lines.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 11:20:42 pm »

Check google news search for stories of amusement parks that are closing. Find out if they have a 15-inch gauge train. Offer to buy their track.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:30:41 am »

The only source of narrow gauge track like that that that I can think of, is the stuff that is used in mines. It may be possible to source some used track from a recently closed mine works. The track is usually pulled up and removed once the mine closes, mainly as it's still worth money and so is often reused by the mining company in other operations.

Mine Cart / Ore Cart rail seems to be available from a number of companies that deal in underground mining equipment (based on a quick google search). There are many different sizes, seemingly in pound weights - and I have no clue what any of that means, so I leave that up to you to find the correct type and pricing.

Or I suppose you could always take some tools and "salvage" some from the many abandoned mine works found in BC...  Wink Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:59:48 am »

The only source of narrow gauge track like that that that I can think of, is the stuff that is used in mines. It may be possible to source some used track from a recently closed mine works. The track is usually pulled up and removed once the mine closes, mainly as it's still worth money and so is often reused by the mining company in other operations.

Mine Cart / Ore Cart rail seems to be available from a number of companies that deal in underground mining equipment (based on a quick google search). There are many different sizes, seemingly in pound weights - and I have no clue what any of that means, so I leave that up to you to find the correct type and pricing.

Or I suppose you could always take some tools and "salvage" some from the many abandoned mine works found in BC...  Wink Grin

Beat me to it!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 06:56:42 pm »

... There are many different sizes, seemingly in pound weights - and I have no clue what any of that means, so I leave that up to you to find the correct type and pricing.

As I recall, railway rail is sized in pounds-per-foot. Main line track would use rail in the 135- to 150-pound range, and light industrial rail would be around 70 pounds.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:42:30 pm »

You 'probably' won't find any ready-built ready-to-lay; when you consider how many track gauges there are when you get up to approaching full size you might begin to see why:

-5'' gauge;
-7/25" gauge;
-10" gauge;
-15" gauge;
-1' 11.5" gauge;
-2' 3" gauge.....

And so on and so forth.  It might be possible to locate some ready-to-lay narrow gauge track but odds are that it won't be what you're looking for! (quite recently there was a lot of narrow gauge track from an army depot for sale on Ebay- to 1' 11.5" gauge). 

If you're happy to consider shipping in from abroad there is Alan Keef in the UK who do a full range of parts.  (No connection I should say). 

http://www.alankeef.co.uk/

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 03:13:47 am »

Xinxiang New Leader Machinery

They offer a range of rail heights. There's a table on their site. 65mm and 79.37mm are probably the ones to consider for 15-inch gauge. Price is about $500/ton.  "We can free provide technical guide and technical drawing for rails installation." They also sell the accessories - mounting plates and such. But they don't do switches.

Narrow gauge industrial railroading seems to be alive and well in China. 15 inch is the gauge at which it starts to get serious.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 03:25:30 am »

16" switch for sale. That ad is from 2012, though.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 03:33:27 am »

It's a nice project if you're into construction. You'll probably need a tractor of at least Bobcat size with backhoe and front-end loader attachments, a welder, a reasonable shop, a big supply of gravel, and some muscular friends. That's just the trackwork. You can probably get the rails and parts shipped from China in one shipping container.

You can buy rails, fishplates, bolts, and tie plates. You can make ties with a drill press and some guides to get the holes right.  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:21:56 pm by oldskoolpunk » Logged
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 08:48:07 am »

The Redwood Valley Railway in Berkeley, CA is 15" gauge. They have some very nice rolling stock, including four custom-built steam locomotives (one guy spent 17 years building one), and 1.25 miles of track. Good place to get technical advice about 15" gauge operation.
SgtBash96
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:55:29 pm »

Thank you kindly for all you help guys! I'll contat that track company and ask the other 15" railways where they get there stuff (some I've looked at don't have a contact email)

I'll (one day) post up the railway when I build it...which could be while ^^; but, hey, dream big to do big
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: