The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 25, 2018, 08:14:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Found The Necronomicon !  (Read 851 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: August 15, 2017, 01:35:08 am »

Behold !:
https://www.amazon.com/Grimoire-Necronomicon-Donald-Tyson/dp/0738713384
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:42:06 am by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
NoirMagus
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:58:33 pm »

I'm suspicious about this line from the blurb -
Fans of Lovecraft now have the opportunity to reliably and safely get in touch with the Old Ones and draw upon their power for spiritual and material advancement.

From my experience of the Cthulhu mythos I'm not sure 'safely' and 'Old Ones' belong in the same sentence.
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 07:17:22 pm »

Apparently the Great Old Ones are poor sad misunderstood Ancient Beings and are really quite sympathetic and, dare I say it, "fluffy". . . . .

From a review by Jennifer Weisbrodt -

He turns the Lovecraftian Mythos into a type of 'Gnosticism'. He proclaims that the Ancient Ones don't REALLY want to destroy the human race. He tells us that they aren't REALLY forces of hideous destruction, no. Rather, this is the way we 'see' them - with our flawed, human perception. According to this idiot, what the Ancient Ones really want is to 'SAVE US!' ..... (don't pass out in laughter yet, read on.) Yep, that's right, Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth aren't the abominable alien forces that we thought they were after all! These forces desire for us to 'rise above' our 'gross, material and worldly nature' - so that we may restore the world to it's original more 'spiritual' state of being.

So we really have nothing to fear . . . .

What's that thumping at the door? . . . .

Aaaaaargh! Noooooo! The tentacles!!! The slime!!!!!! Noooooo!!!!

CTHULHU FHTAGN. . . .
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:25:47 pm by Athanor » Logged

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 05:06:15 am »

I thought Ashe left it in the Middle Ages with this boomstick...Wink
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:25:16 pm »

. . . Huh?? . . . .
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 10:57:19 pm »

. . . Huh?? . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Darkness
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 06:41:41 am »

Ah well, that would be another Necronomicon:

Re: The Brass Goggles Occult Society...The Esoteric Order of the Brazen Dawn...
Reply No.906; June 21st 2016:

According to author Colin Low, whose work deserves to be much better known than it is, the real Necronomicon hasn't been written yet; it is not a grimoire in the traditional sense because it assumes a level of scientific (and especially cosmological) knowledge that simply did not exist before the 20th century.

From http://digital-brilliance.com/kab/essays/pressure.htm ;

One difficulty I have is that as a practising magician and industrial researcher for over thirty years I have learned that some ideas have a kind of ontological pressure behind them. It is like holding an acorn and asserting that the oak tree exists. A statement of this kind may violate many of the common sense rules of language, but for me this shows that common sense language lacks subtlety of expression, and there are many kinds of useful statement I would like to make without a huge pedagogical preamble. The oak tree does exist in potentia, and the real argument is about how we rank existence in potentia versus bark and bird’s nests. It is in precisely this sense that I am prepared to state that the Necronomicon is a real book.

This is not the kind of answer that many people want to hear however so I have made the more satisfactory argument that the Necronomicon hinted at from the contextual framework of Lovecraft’s fiction is not a book that could have existed in the ancient world. It is an outcome of Lovecraft’s modern consciousness of the universe. It has attained a powerful mythic credibility precisely because it squares the circle: in a modern world where no grimoire has authority, the Necronomicon has this awe-inspiring authority while still being a grimoire. It is like the Cretan who stated that all Cretans are liars. An essential aspect of its authority is that it is content free - had Lovecraft provided any substantial content other than the vague hints we have, we would tear it to pieces like any other supposed work of authority.

I believe a book like the Necronomicon could not have existed in the past, and cannot exist in the present. It will exist in the future.

The reason I believe this is that my radar as a professional researcher tells me that a new enlightenment is in the offing. The first enlightenment transformed our relationship with the universe, so that instead of a living cosmos maintained by a divine hierarchy of being we found ourselves in a dead machine to be investigated using scientific method.

The new enlightenment is a non-dualist understanding of matter, life, and human consciousness that transcends to vocabulary of the past, where the key concepts are emergence, simulation and information. The reductive, mechanistic language of mid-twentieth century science will be discarded. The universe will once more become a place of unfathomable mystery and complexity, where life is not a frail accident but one of the most important physical processes, alongside gravity and stellar fusion. It is a new gnosticism without the inherent dualism of the past. In this vast, utterly alien, terrifying, unfathomably complex universe, Lovecraftian protagonists will journey and record their travels and experiences. One thousand years from now someone will be able to read the Necronomicon. Not a spoof, nor a fabrication... it will be the book Lovecraft intuitively grasped.

Someone alive today may be its author. In potentia of course.

Athanor.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 06:44:43 am by Athanor » Logged
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 09:41:52 pm »

Also from the archives of  The Brass Goggles Occult Society...The Esoteric Order of the Brazen Dawn...

« Reply #907 on: July 21, 2016, 08:14:28 am »  

...... but then, on the other hand, there is the Pseudonomicon, by Phil Hine, well known writer on Chaos (or Kaos) Magic; it is downloadable from

http://thexlibrary.com/index.php/viewdownload/53-chaos-magic/387pseudonomicon-phil-hine

....described by TheXLibrary as

Short and rare-ish text dealing with the Kaos aspects of the Lovecraft tradition.  Brief but concise and powerful.  Arguably more informative than the Simon Necronomicon in dealing with Lovecraftian modalities.

........ or in other words, a sort of modern version of a possible Necronomicon, and perhaps more useful than the so-called "Simon Necronomicon", or any of the other recent books claiming to be the "real" Necronomicon. Anyway, definitely worth perusal.

Hail Azathoth!

"Nisi creditis; Omnia interroga; de te ipso cogitare!"

Athanor
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:47:30 pm by Athanor » Logged
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 04:57:03 am »

I tend to collect various book sites, here's one...https://archive.org/details/texts?and%5B%5D=necronomicon&sin= but know this, that way lies madness...Wink supposedly more necronomicons...
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 10:31:07 am »

Sounds rather nice. Glad we've ironed out that small misunderstanding about the Great Old Ones with no hard feelings. I also hear the Fungi from Yuggoth just want to show us the universe. Having your brain put in a tin can is a small price to pay. Gotta love those Fun Guys from Yuggoth!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: