The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 02:54:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Modelling?  (Read 365 times)
steamqueen
Deck Hand
Spain Spain

« on: August 14, 2017, 06:56:08 pm »

Hello.
I am wanting to get into some steampunk modelling but dont know where to start, I know we have a few models on here so I was wondering if we could pick your brains. Thanks in advance.

The Steam Queen. xx
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:04:13 am »

Are you looking for model kits to build, or suggestions for models to build from materials?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 08:56:00 am »

Are you looking for model kits to build, or suggestions for models to build from materials?

Erm... perhaps she's talking about models as in fashion models...?  Roll Eyes This is the Anatomical section (ie fashion) not the Tactile section.

Hello.
I am wanting to get into some steampunk modelling but dont know where to start, I know we have a few models on here so I was wondering if we could pick your brains. Thanks in advance.

The Steam Queen. xx

Ms. Steam Queen, I'm assuming you're talking about professional fashion modelling. Is that so? If so, you may want to contact Cpt. Vanderstorme, as she might point in the right direction. We did have one or two famous models go through this forum (e.g. , but sadly I don't think we saw them for very long in the forum).

Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 02:35:04 am »

I have a friend that models on the side and she got out there by working at the renfair and making lots of friends.  You might want to start by taking photos of yourself.  It is hard to be your own photographer but once you get the hang of it you can take some really good shots.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:48:19 am »

not to detract from the thread but has anyone else noticed that being photogenic and stunning in person are two separate distinct states of being? my sister used to work with models for commercial art and they never seemed to be more than average in looks but they all photographed very well. I've also known a few women and men whom you would call drop dead beautiful but they never looked as good in pictures no matter how hard they tried (to the point they would avoid being photographed in any setting)

just my 2 c.p. and of no use to the OP!
steamqueen
Deck Hand
Spain Spain

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:41:26 pm »

Hi yes I was talking about fashion modelling. Thank you for the help Smiley
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »

not to detract from the thread but has anyone else noticed that being photogenic and stunning in person are two separate distinct states of being? my sister used to work with models for commercial art and they never seemed to be more than average in looks but they all photographed very well. I've also known a few women and men whom you would call drop dead beautiful but they never looked as good in pictures no matter how hard they tried (to the point they would avoid being photographed in any setting)

just my 2 c.p. and of no use to the OP!

I once had the job of photographing everyone for badges at a fan convention, and I distinctly remember one young woman, attractive in person but not exceptionally so, who just looked stunning through the viewfinder and in the photo. School photographers I've known have reported the same phenomenon.
Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 01:10:00 am »

Steam Queen, I do a bit of photography with models.  Sadly, you are too far away for me to offer to point my lens at you.  But I have a couple of suggestions.

If you have not already found it, model Jen Brook wrote a short piece of advice, which may be useful: Dear Model, kindest regards, Other Model.

In the UK, the PurplePort website is a useful way for models and photographers to get in touch with each other.  Even if it lists no photographers near you, it's still worth spending a bit of time looking at the discussions in the Groups there, and the Articles.  There is a lot of shared experience in there.  Some of the photography there is, shall we say, unsuitable for viewing at work.  PurplePort.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 03:47:51 pm »

The way I stumbled into Steampunk many years ago was by way of modelling sites which were not necessarily Steampunk. I remember marvelling at some of the Steampunkish photos I saw in Model Mayhem. While the photographers tended to not be in Steampunk, they did have a good eye for the anachronistic aesthetic. I'm talking about the year 2008-9 or so...
CyanideCandy
Deck Hand
Poland Poland

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 12:49:07 am »

I'm not a model and with the issues I have, I will never become one.. But one advice I can give for sure. Don't let the photographers think that they are gods just because they own some expensive camera. I got some bad experience with photographers. Just be careful and if someone does not treat you fair (e.g. makes you wait for long hours as if only their time was valuable or doesn't do what they promised) - don't agree for that. These photos are not worth it. Find someone who will treat you as a human being at first and only then as a model/object to photograph. 
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 09:13:59 pm »

Are you in a local group?  One I am in regularly gets asked to provide models for pics and videos.  Mind you they usually expect us to provide model and outfit and travel for free.

You could try looking for an agent.  I presume there is an organisation like a trades union in the UK, that looks after actors and models.  They will have lists of agents if you are looking to do this professionally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: