The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 11:19:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1960's Futuristic Futuro Houses in Ruins in Taiwan  (Read 231 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: August 10, 2017, 03:17:16 pm »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/inside-abandoned-ufo-village-families-10963413

The article is about a small neighborhood of flying-saucer shaped houses, built in Taiwan in the 1960, designed by Finnish architect Matti Suuronen, which are long abandoned and decaying.

The interiors remind me of Buckminster Fuller's Dyxaxion House, which I've taken a tour of at the Henry Ford Museum.

I remember seeing photos of these houses when I was a child; they were featured in one of the futurist children's books that was in my school's library. I believe that illustrated futurist books for children have now gone the way of Futuro Houses, which is a shame.

If you need photo reference for a future society that was wiped out, leaving it's buildings to decay, there you have it.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:39:06 pm »

The problem is and always was, that the design is more capricious than useful. From my childhood, I much prefer geodesic homes, some of which are still being made. A few of them were actually nice and looked like some place you'd want to live in.

Spherical, or ovoid shapes appear practical at first glance because the maximize structural strength and minimize surface area. But the fact is that we live "rectangular" lives. All our furniture, beds and appliances, not to mention transportation tend to be rectangular in shape. So when you try to accommodate your life to the round dwelling, you end up wasting a lot of space...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:46:30 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:14:10 pm »

I think that the main problem is that they are not easily repairable. Regular carpenters don't have the esoteric skills to repair fiberglass and polymer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:18:25 am by RJBowman » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:42:26 pm »

I think that the main problem is that they are no easily repairable. Regular carpenters don't have the esoteric skills to repair fiberglass and polymer.

Another reason the geodesic homes ae better. The prefabricated triangular panels are made from traditional pine stud plus plywood panel components and insulation. But still experience on the geometric construction of the triangular panels I think would be important for repairs.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 02:50:58 am »

It's a pity. I wouldn't mind one of those in my (big) back yard!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:20:48 am »

Some organization should buy the neighborhood and clean and renovate the saucers. Give them a chance at another fifty years of futuristic life. Eventually they would be antique buildings; protected historic landmarks.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:42:08 am »

Some organization should buy the neighborhood and clean and renovate the saucers. Give them a chance at another fifty years of futuristic life. Eventually they would be antique buildings; protected historic landmarks.

Can't do that they were demolished a few years back!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:22:29 pm »

Well, phooey!
Just what I wanted was a Mars residential pod in my backyard!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 11:29:29 pm »

Can't do that they were demolished a few years back!

That really sucks. These were historically important structures. They couldn't even save one of them? They couldn't move it to a museum sight? Do the Taiwanese care nothing for history?
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 03:18:15 am »

I still want one!
I would mayhap have it a little lower to the ground, with a circular ramp (lame, you know) - it would make a fantastic office/library/study, and would steampunk the inside!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: