The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 25, 2017, 01:21:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk dog breed?  (Read 725 times)
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« on: July 29, 2017, 11:59:28 am »

We've all seen threads about the most Steampunk buildings, music, vehicles, attire, ectetera. But what about dog breeds?
What is your most Steampunk dog breed and why?
For instance, the Irish Wolfhound. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Wolfhound#Pre-19th_century
It's not Victorian era specific, but it's sheer size and fur has a certain rugged, masculant look to it. Something that might fit someone like a steam engine operator.
Or maybe a Jack Russel Terrier? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Russell_Terrier
More period to the Victorian era. Bred for fox hunting, having plenty of stamina and thinks it's as big as an Irish Wolfhound.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »

When we say dog are we referring to lapdogs, toydogs and generally upper-class playthings, or working/ hunting/ gundogs?  The distinction was greater 120 years ago than it is today. 

If we're discussing the former, I'd go for something like a Pekingese, on no greater grounds than that breed appears time and again in Saki's satirical Edwardian short stories. If the latter, a Border Collie, a 'proper' working farmdog. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 01:05:24 pm »

Pug used to be bigger a century ago than they are now today.  Big pug are pretty much what i see as the steamiest dog breed. This and pretty much all shepherd dogs as well than british bulldogs.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
cossoft
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 01:48:06 pm »

It would be the British lion dog wouldn't it...

although not wishing to be too politically overt, it's probably one of these today:-

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 03:41:12 pm »

Corgi and Dachshund. Lurcher and greyhound. Spaniels of all types, and the original poodle, which was a water dog of some renown before the 'breeders' got hold of it. Boxer, too.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 10:42:46 am »

Big dogs like the bouvier, shepards and husky's were used to draw carts.
This practice stopped during the start of the 1900's due to animal welfare.
Period wise it would be concidered Victorian.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 07:16:09 pm »

Any breed that was trained to be courteous and well-behaved, in true steampunk fashion?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:03 pm »

Buster Brown's dog was a pit bull.

A century ago, when the comic strip was popular, pit bulls were considered good family pets. It is possible that breeding in the past century has made the breed more aggressive.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 06:26:20 pm »

A century ago, when the comic strip was popular, pit bulls were considered good family pets. It is possible that breeding in the past century has made the breed more aggressive.

Funny you should mention that; a friend of mine owns a Staffordshire bull terrier which is a breed that has a bit of a reputation. Quite where this reputation comes from is perhaps a mystery as his dog is daft as a brush (her response to a relative stranger in the house is to amble over in hopes of a fuss) and indeed historically they've been used as child minders because you tell them to 'stay' or 'watch' and that's all they will do until you tell them otherwise. 
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 10:24:56 pm »

Some are and some aren't.  Out today with the dog we found a wonderful staffie puppy and the two dogs played together for ages.  It was so sweet.  But a few years ago it was a staffie who attacked my previous dog and sank its teeth into her face and eye causing bleeding.  It turned her over onto her back and would not let go.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 02:46:15 am »

In which case it is usually the owner you have to take issue with, not the dog! My part staffie part blue heeler part who knew what looked like he would rip your face off without hesitation - he had the temperament of a very soft marshmallow. But, as precautionary measures, when he was home he was behind a five-foot high arc-mesh fence, and when he was out he had a harness and a halti, on seperate leads! Never a problem.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »

Back on topic, what about a Chinese Crested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Crested_Dog
or a Peruvian Hairless Dog https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peruvian_Hairless_Dog
Nothing is more Steampunk then a hairless dog.  Grin
Unless some strange mix breed...
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 05:04:18 pm »

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 02:41:23 am »

Has to be Bill Sykes, right?
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 08:44:53 pm »

Has to be Bill Sykes, right?
Tom Hardy as Bill Sykes (2007) with a Bull Terrier Bullseye, Yep.

As for Staffs' all depends on the individual dog, I have experienced soft and dopey as you like, to rip yer face off scary. A very popular breed where I live and often given away for free on Gumtree, due to changes in family circumstances.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:13:25 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 10:42:00 pm »

Read: "Bit somebody, but not bad enough to be put down!"
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 01:23:19 pm »

I'd really appreciate it when we stay on topic.
For this thread, I don't care if you have a vicious dog or if you are ever bitten by one.
This thread is about what would be concidered a Steampunk dog breed and why.
 Angry
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 01:55:41 pm »

Uuuuuum, this is Brassgoggles, notorious for going into topic tangent mode. Wink

OK...... Steampunk.

Bull Terrier, Oliver, Charles Dickens, Bullseye etc.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, great, loyal, loving but often misunderstood.

Parson Russell Terrier/ Border Terrier, smaller and can be quickly tucked in a kit bag for unexpected Airship deployment.

That would be my initial choices
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:25:26 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 03:45:56 pm »

My Staffy cross could be considered a Steampunk dog - the fact that he never bit any one made him a gentle Steampunk dog!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »

If we could find another toxic waste product to produce a different colour..........

Blue dogs roam the streets of Mumbai

Bespoke wildlife. For F&*^s Sake!!  Roll Eyes Sometimes, I really do despair.
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 02:07:14 am »

A steampunk dog would surely be any dog that would tolerate wearing goggles or other steampunk attire.

Neither of my cocker spaniels (and I will not put 'English' in front of that name, as that is a given), would allow such a thing to happen. They view themselves as too wild to wear the 'shackles of oppression' (a collar), so a hat or any other type of accessory would be viewed with doggy horror. Neither has bitten, but they can give an extremely dirty look...
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 02:25:20 pm »

A steampunk dog would surely be any dog that would tolerate wearing goggles or other steampunk attire.

Neither of my cocker spaniels (and I will not put 'English' in front of that name, as that is a given), would allow such a thing to happen. They view themselves as too wild to wear the 'shackles of oppression' (a collar), so a hat or any other type of accessory would be viewed with doggy horror. Neither has bitten, but they can give an extremely dirty look...

Given those criteria, then my English Pointer, Sarah Jane Smith the steam bitch, may be given due breed consideration. markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 09:03:13 pm »

It would be the British lion dog wouldn't it...

although not wishing to be too politically overt, it's probably one of these today:-

Dat second one ain't no dawg!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 12:15:43 am »

Sarah Jane Smith wins the Steampunk dog award!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 08:14:37 am »

Sadly Pit Bull Terriers  were bred as fighting dogs, as averse to the  other Bull terriers that were bred for herding and guarding cattle. This has meant the  breeding in of a nervous disposition  and aggressive instinct in the pit  bull terrier. It can be a cruel world  at times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: