The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 11:07:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typewriter to computer text program  (Read 318 times)
SgtBash96
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« on: July 29, 2017, 06:01:27 am »

Hi, again!

I've been a writer as a hobby for a few years now, but I've had writers block for a about a year now with no end in sight. I looked up ways to fix it and someone said that they got a type writer and it helped them get over it, which I now plan to do. Only problem is that I want to be able to post what I write online for others to read.

So, does anyone know of a computer program that might be able to do this?

Thanks guys
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:38:17 am »

I'm having a hard time understanding what the issue is. Do you mean that if you type your text in a mechanical typewriter you can unblock your mind? If so, what is the difference between writing on a computer monitor and on a piece of paper? Is it that paper forces you to not back out on your thoughts?

I don't know that a computer program would help you at all. Because basically you'd be needing to type on paper and then scan the paper with text recognition software. But I have to warn you that text recovery is downright poor by scanning papers like that. "Tesseract" in the Ubuntu Linux operating system does precisely that - scan and recognize text from pictures. There is a "front end," that is a graphical shell called "YAGF" which makes Tesseract look nice and easy to use on the screen and which you can download apart from Tesseract (both are free software with Tesseract being part of Ubuntu) . I don't know the equivalent software for Windows, though.

But I find such method extremely inefficient and slow. That method is good only when scanning text that is not available digitally, like valuable books and ancient texts.

Why not just write on the computer directly using one of those old style typewriters which have been converted to a USB keyboard?

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:42:11 am »

https://www.usbtypewriter.com/#gs.MLbA3EI
cossoft
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 01:12:55 pm »

Valuable books are scanned with a gizmo like:-

It just means that you don't have to open the book fully. This is the Codex Leicester valued at ~$30M. You shouldn't eat spaghetti when reading it in the armchair.

cossoft
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 01:39:45 pm »

Have you considered Tony Buzzan's  mind-mapping technique?  I know that it' s probably an extremely clichéd management fad, but it works for me.

You may find that the typewriter actually becomes nothing more that a physical and mental stimulus for spontaneity.   It might not be a transcription device.  If I'd written a short story about a chap hunting down human looking robots in the future, I wouldn't be worried about having to retype it into a computer. 

With respect, you're procrastinating. I know all about it Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: