The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:58:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE oldest complete section of wooden railway in the world has gone on display  (Read 230 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: July 28, 2017, 07:37:08 pm »

THE oldest complete section of wooden railway in the world has gone on display

THE oldest complete section of wooden railway in the world has gone on display to the public for the first time since it was discovered.

The rare 18th century waggonway, which was used by horse-drawn carts to transport coal, was unearthed in 2013 and has been undergoing preservation treatment since.

The fascinating timbers are now being exhibited at the Stephenson Railway Museum, in Wallsend, for the first time as part of the national Festival of Archeology - which is celebrated between 15-30 of July. (c) The Northern Echo 2017

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:13:00 pm »

Good read - another indicator as to why 4' 81/2" became 'standard' gauge!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: