The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 06:33:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spats and Gaiters Discussion Thread  (Read 618 times)
montysaurus
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »

They also sell special sewing machine needles for sewing leather . They have a special tip and are sturdier. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=leather+sewing+machine+needles
 Here are some examples on E-Bay.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 06:44:56 pm »

They also sell special sewing machine needles for sewing leather . They have a special tip and are sturdier. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=leather+sewing+machine+needles
 Here are some examples on E-Bay.
Sadly, I don't have access to a sewing machine. I guess a machine could be used for the straps, because you can lay it on a flat surface. I stitched the rest of the spats/gaiters by hand, and because of the curved edges, I needed to position the pieces "in 3D space" as opposed to a flat surface. I could however, stitch the edges (perimeter) of the spats with a machine, again, because you can lay the edges flat on a table.

Sewing by hand is not that hard. Turned out to be easier than I thought.

Right click to zoom
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:49:08 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 09:31:23 pm »

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/diamond-hole-chisel-set These help for hand sewing.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 10:12:24 pm »

l

That's an interesting tool.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 02:37:41 pm »

Was talking more about the thick eva foam floormats and the like
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 05:49:24 pm »

Was talking more about the thick eva foam floormats and the like
I'd be interested to see that in this thread. We need more spats tutorials!
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 06:19:10 pm »

indeed. If I get around to doing them I'll post it
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 06:42:51 pm »

In other news, I've opted for the one inch wide nylon strap, and plastic buckles. Not Victorian but will be easier to sew on, and easier to clean. I've bought camel coloured thread for that. The spats should be finished tonight. And I'll be finishing the phone case for my new phone. So I guess that will conclude my contribution to the thread. I'll post photos tomorrow.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 10:24:50 pm »

So I burned the midnight oil, and attached a pair of nylon straps and two plastic slide buckles. With my atrocious sewing skills, I had to use a matching thread that would be as invisible as possible. Again I used the thick craft grade thread. I chose a camel coloured thread which nearly matches the suede colour. I will have to sew the whole perimeter of the spats, though as I don't know when the neoprene will start detaching from the leather. It's becoming clear to me that the contact cement alone will not cut it, especially in hot and humid weather, the leather will "curl" away from the neoprene at the edges. I've seen that happen before on suede cuffs I made for my Steampunk watches. For now it's alright as is for Halloween, but I'll definitely have to sew around the button  eyes and the perimeter. It should not take that long, but for me it'll be a few hours extra. I'll keep you posted on that.

I performed field test to see how they behaved in the real world. Very comfortable for a 1.4 mile walk to the supermarket plus a bus ride.

The strap needs to be short enough to make it not drag on the ground. It's a bit tricky sliding the strap through the buckle, but once you pinch the end of the strap it's easy to pull and tighten. Taking it off is very easy, you just angle the buckle outward and it's easy to pull the strap off.

These nylon straps fray rather easily, and a step you just can't forget when buying this material is either using a hot knife to cut the strap to size, or use a razor blade and immediately apply a few drops of cyanoacrylate glue to the sliced end after cutting. This step insures the straps will not unravel.

With the neoprene lining, the leather spats feel fairly rigid and very secure, and the leather bends with your boot and ankle easily, without too many creases. The spats provide a noticeable thermal cover, and they might feel warm on a hot day. Otherwise, I found the added ankle support very pleasant. They do, however, tend to rotate a wee bit about the lower leg, but the spats are held securely in place by the strap.

When I picked up the buttons at the store I noticed a nice small detail. The legend "Equipments Militaires" is engraved in each of the buttons. I found that rather appropriate  Wink you know what they say. "God is in the details."

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:39:54 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: