The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 05:05:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The steampunk stepdad  (Read 480 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« on: July 23, 2017, 04:31:22 pm »

Sooo...since my stepfather agreed on going to the asylum with me he has been trying to gather his own steampunk costume. We now have a base:

Ideas most welcome

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:07:28 pm »

Sorry to post with no ideaal, button whatever is the Asylum?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 07:21:32 pm »

Sooo...since my stepfather agreed on going to the asylum with me he has been trying to gather his own steampunk costume. We now have a base:

Ideas most welcome

Shoes, definitely shoes - those cobbles in Lincoln are very hard on the feet  Wink More seriously, substitute the tie for a bowtie or cravat? What type of jacket are you thinking of? Maybe some badges on the beret? Actually, I think the beret will work well, standing out against the more usual toppers and bowlers.

Sorry to post with no ideaal, button whatever is the Asylum?

The Asylum is Europe's biggest Steampunk gatering held in Lincoln over the august bank holiday: https://www.asylumsteampunk.co.uk/.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 05:13:23 am »

Good for you! It seems the Steampunk bug is spreading throughout the family.

The newspaper boy-like attire is hinting at breeches or knickerbockers. Lose the modern tie and replace with a bow tie if you keep that shirt. Keep the hat (flat cap), braces (US:trouser suspenders) and the goggles. As an option, instead of the bow tie and collared shirt, if you can find a collarless shirt that would be a plus. Look for a striped pattern shirt as well. Ankle boots always look good in that context. Basically that would be wearing what I used to wear in my early days of Steampunk.

Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:46:58 am »

Very cool that he is going with you!  Love the cap.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:52:01 pm »

Making some steam powered bits
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 02:05:31 pm »

Coming along nicely
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 06:09:08 pm »

I think your stepdad makes a very nice steampunk (and I also think it's super sweet he's going with you ahhh steampunk family)! I also like the look of whatever it is you're working on; is that an arm bracer?

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 06:28:09 pm »

I think your stepdad makes a very nice steampunk (and I also think it's super sweet he's going with you ahhh steampunk family)! I also like the look of whatever it is you're working on; is that an arm bracer?

Yes it is! It will get some leather straps to strap it to his forearm
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 09:24:21 pm »

Hope you both had a great time - perhaps you should persuade him to bring you to Whitby Goth Weekend - not so many steampunks (although enough to make it pleasant), but he might enjoy dressing as Dracula  Smiley

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 04:58:00 pm »

I never showed the end result!

Best pictures i had right now
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 01:01:03 am »

Wow, he towers over buildings........oh, waitaminute, heh heh, I see what you did there.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 01:23:35 pm »

Lovely! you have a good stepdad there - probably a keeper! Grin
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 07:29:28 am »

very nice you two, looks like you got a good step dad to me too!

now as for your shoes, I know comfort over style is required at times, I mean, fashion shouldn't actually physically hurt!

what we used to do when I was young (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) for Halloween  was to cover are everyday sneakers with old black dress socks so they sort of disappeared into the backround. of course mens large nylon socks slid over kids tennis shoes fairly easily and my dad had a closet full of old socks he was too cheap to throw out when they were getting a little threadbare. still, they had enough life in them to last a day of wear, a few holes worn into the bottoms were fine since the next step is throwing them away anyways. maybe a dress sock could stretch enough to cover the shoe or even some large men's black ankle socks would suffice. combined with your gaitors I think things would look just fine.
back in the day when I had to march in parades in American civil war attire, the leather brogan shoes were sheer torture so I took some very comfortable black swede top sneakers and changed to black skinny shoelaces and painted the white sides of the sole black with some spraypaint, it held up fine for parades and my feet loved me for it. it was easy to touch up too just a few minutes in the back yard with the rattle can and good as new! the neighbors thought I was nuts. Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: