The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 02:44:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Padding for eyecup goggles  (Read 535 times)
CrazyLee
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: July 18, 2017, 02:52:48 am »

Been a while since I've been here. Hello again.

I have a pair of steampunk goggles that use the plastic cup design, where each lens has its own cup. The plastic is rather hard. If I wear them against my head it can be quite annoying. I have fixed this short term by putting some adhesive backed foam on the goggles but want something more long term.

I thought about adding padding to the goggles similar to the leather padding one would see on old-fashioned aviator or riding goggles. Not seeing anything online that looks vintage, I have endeavored to make my own. But I am stumped.

Here is what one of the goggle pieces looks from above. Ignore the foam blocks stuck to the back of them.

As you can see the goggles, like many ones out there do not have a straight back, but curve, and quite significantly on the outer side. I had considered making padding that was removable and would stay on the goggles using hidden elastic, like a waistband. But I find the unique curve of the goggle edge to be a challenge. Also, the placement of the strap hole at the very end of the goggle's curve also is in a place where it would be in the way. So I wonder if anyone has tried anything of this nature or has ideas.

The gears on the airship go round and round, round and round, round and round....
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:52:16 am »

I haven't tried this, but I have an idea here. This is untested and I am making it up on the fly, so I can't guarantee its efficacy.

What you want to do is make four leather pieces the shape of the part of the cup that touches your face, but slightly larger; each would be roughly an oval with a smaller oval cut out of the middle. Two pieces are used for each cup.

What you are going to do then is stitch two of the pieces together; outer edges. You should then be able to fit it over the rim of the cup to cover it so that there is leather between the cup and your face. If the leather doesn't offer enough padding, you could pack it with cotton or padding of some kind.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 04:32:40 am »

Been thinking about doing similar for my fit's-over goggles for a while now. I'll be watching to see what transpires...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
CrazyLee
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 10:57:53 pm »

I haven't tried this, but I have an idea here. This is untested and I am making it up on the fly, so I can't guarantee its efficacy.

What you want to do is make four leather pieces the shape of the part of the cup that touches your face, but slightly larger; each would be roughly an oval with a smaller oval cut out of the middle. Two pieces are used for each cup.

What you are going to do then is stitch two of the pieces together; outer edges. You should then be able to fit it over the rim of the cup to cover it so that there is leather between the cup and your face. If the leather doesn't offer enough padding, you could pack it with cotton or padding of some kind.

So what you mean is make 4 leather donuts. Each donut would be cut the shape of the goggle edge, and then two would be sewn together back to back. I think I get what you mean. However I'm not sure how that would work exactly. Using just ONE piece of the leather cut in the same shape might work, not sure what the second piece per cup is there for.

My plan was to try to cut an actual band that I'd sew end to end to make a loop, that would probably be more flexible than what you suggested, it could bend around any corner. My question is how to make it stay on the eye cups. I thought elastic but I'm not sure how well that elastic will stay on. Gluing would be the more permanent way, I guess.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 12:53:18 pm »

So what you mean is make 4 leather donuts. Each donut would be cut the shape of the goggle edge, and then two would be sewn together back to back. I think I get what you mean. However I'm not sure how that would work exactly. Using just ONE piece of the leather cut in the same shape might work, not sure what the second piece per cup is there for.

My plan was to try to cut an actual band that I'd sew end to end to make a loop, that would probably be more flexible than what you suggested, it could bend around any corner. My question is how to make it stay on the eye cups. I thought elastic but I'm not sure how well that elastic will stay on. Gluing would be the more permanent way, I guess.

I think I see how this might work- the hole in the donut would be the size of the goggle eyepiece just before the flange flares out. The sewing of the hole would be of a larger diameter to form a lip on the back and the front, that the goggle flange would sit inside...

I'm not sure if this is any clearer  Embarrassed

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 04:08:50 pm »

I think I see how this might work- the hole in the donut would be the size of the goggle eyepiece just before the flange flares out. The sewing of the hole would be of a larger diameter to form a lip on the back and the front, that the goggle flange would sit inside...

I'm not sure if this is any clearer  Embarrassed

HP

That's pretty much it.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:39:38 pm »

Take a look at the padded leather ring of a pair of headphones.

If you can get hold of some really soft garment leather, some very soft neoprene foam, some normal thread and some elastic thread, it shouldn't be too difficult to make up the eye cushions.

--
Keith
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 11:50:37 pm »

Take a look at the padded leather ring of a pair of headphones.

Yep. That's it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: