The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 03:40:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Higgsbury Memorial Museum  (Read 1466 times)
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2017, 07:54:05 am »

Lowe returned to the Library to find Miss Emily and her new staff all scurrying about, each peering eagerly at their surroundings through a small white stone with a smooth round hole in it, like they were elderly ladies at the opera or some Great Consulting Detective whose magnifying lens had unexpectedly shrunk.
At this last whimsical thought he tried - only partially successfully - to stifle a small chuckle.

Presumably at hearing the unexpected noise, first one, then all, of the small company turned and regarded him through their comical new eyewear. Their reactions - a smattering of gasps, a mix of defensive stances, and even a few shudders from the ladies - caused him to selfconsciously look down to check the cleanliness of his shirtfront and the security of his flybuttons.

"Is there a problem, Ma'am...?"

With a hesitant and shaking hand, the newest recruit passed him another one of her stock of perforated viewing stones.
Taking it cautiously, Lowe first held it in front of his eye and saw a slightly different view of the Library, one in which the patterns of light and darkness had no correspondence with the rays falling through the high windows.
Then, realising that this altered view of him had been the cause of their response, he craned his neck and turned the stone loupe downwards to awkwardly regard himself through it.

"Well, I'll be...", and here he only just caught himself before completing that dockside exclamation in the presence of the fairer sex, changing his reaction to a more measured, "Oh.", then after another pause he took a deep breath and continued, "Well, Ma'am, I suppose an explanation may be in order..."

To buy time to properly compose his words, Lowe diverted himself by holding out one long slender arm, turning and twisting at elbow and wrist, fingers clenching and splaying as he regarded his appendage through the peculiar view of the little white stone.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2017, 12:00:51 pm »

The usually unflappable Lowe shifted uneasily, having ceased to examine the twisting glowing shapes that rippled underneath his pale skin where other men would have musculature when he realised that the rest of the group were also seeing this eldritch scene through their perforate stones.

"Uh, well, it's like this, Ma'am. This is how I came to work for the late Lord these last twenty-odd years. When I got back from the ships, I was like this. Now most folk can't see it, except those with the sight, and any with magickal things like the young Miss' stones, but most people could sense that there was something wrong with Old Lowe. So, since the word around the docks was that there was this Lord who paid good coin for odd and mystick things that sailors brought back from exotic lands, I figured that included me, so here I came. And the late Lord, gawdblessim, he took me in - studied me a bit, gave me a position, tried to work out what it was, and so I've served him here and as per his Will, promised to serve yourself just as loyal, and since part of this thing is I don't get old as much as most men, probably for just as long....", at this he paused to confirm the new Mistress' approval but as she stood mute he continued, "As to what it is, the best he could draw out and test was some sort of clear goo like Cook's gelatine pudding, but it keeps me moving and fixes my cuts and scrapes."

At this last he shocked the assembled company by raking the tip of his large blade along his exposed forearm.
The pale skin parted in a neat line under its sharpness, and the flesh underneath parted bloodlessly... then promptly sealed itself up again.

All through this macabre display, his eyes never left the Lady of the House, evidently anxious as to her reaction.
The first response from her lips was a question of concern.

"Oh my, Mister Lowe, and it doesn't hurt when you do that? Remarkable."

At this mixture of compassion and scientific curiosity, Lowe smiled widely.

"Oh no, Ma'am, I've just cut meself with a ruddy great knife, haven't I? Pardon my french. Of course, it ruddy well hurts, even after it sticks itself back together, otherwise I'd be doing it as a trick act on the Stage ."

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:11:44 pm by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2017, 03:25:11 pm »

Mordavo had been getting odd hints here and there, from the preternatural side of his senses, that Lowe was not quite as he seemed for some time. None of that had prepared him for what he saw through his hagstone, however. His gasp and the drawing and aiming of his pistol had been inadvertent, a reflex born of long habit, much like Lowe's tendency to pull his shiv at the appearance of a possible threat. A moment later he reddened beneath his fur (unnoticeably to the others, it being under the were's thick pelt, but he felt it in any case), and straightened, returning the huge howdah pistol back into the depths of his greatcoat.

"Your pardon, Mr. Lowe," he said somewhat embarrassedly. "I should remember zhat I myself am perhaps a bit odd to look at sometimes." He looked at the place where the wound on Lowe's arm had healed over miraculously. "A useful  trait I imagine, yes? I haff to change completely, und back again, to do that."
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:27:13 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2017, 12:21:49 pm »

Lowe attempted as much as was possible to return to his more familiar obscurity, waving off the kind offers of a lace handkerchief to bind his self-inflicted wound with a deprecating display of his pale hands, and a reassuring demonstration that the open rent where moments before his white ulna had shone whitely beneath the musculature was now neatly rejoined by seamless skin.

To further distract the conversation from his arm, he held up the small white stone and looked about the room through its aperture, glimpsing but not inordinately staring at the hirsute Mordavo, and politely avoiding examining both ladies, as he emulated the group's previous interest in examining the stacks of books.

"So, with these, your hag... pardon, Young Miss, but more fittingly, of course... with these scrying-stones, what other curiosities are we finding in the library?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2017, 10:45:27 pm »

"I hope it can help us from geting snared up because unless I am mistaken at least three volumes have some sort of magical protection and that gargoyle in the corner is giving me a frightful look whenever it thinks I won't notice. I am hopeing the late lord left some notes on his collections to make things a bit more simple but If not I know a few ways of learning the true nature of things."  Of course one of those required brewing herbs for almost a week so Gwin hoped either it did not come to that or that the cook was especially obliging.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2017, 06:30:37 pm »

Mordavo was eyeing a bell jar, apparently a sort of terrarium, filled with ferns and moss and stones and what looked for all the world like tiny trees. High above on the topmost shelf, next to a row of Encyclopedia Thaumaturgicae, it kept showing an aura of pink, silver and gold hues whenever he looked at it through the stone, as if there were a very happy fairy or some such inside - but every time he brought the hagstone to bear, something darted out of sight just quickly enough to be noticed, but not quite seen. As he strolled over slowly and began to drag the ladder over on it's railway, the pinks and golds became visible to the knack of the naked coyote's eye, and a vary faint giggling noise could be heard, as if emanating from within a sealed box. The werecoyote's nose began to catch a whiff of what smelled remarkably like sugared ginger-root, coupled with a feminine aroma and a very strong scent of eldritch magic...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:28:30 am by MWBailey » Logged
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2017, 10:05:08 pm »

Lowe tried to follow Miss Gwin's warning about the gargoyle, but it appeared immobile every time he turned the scrying-stone in its direction, so either she was mistaken or more likely having to swing the stone around was too obvious a warning that it was being observed.
He noted that the hairy chap was now following something glowing gold and pink up on the upper shelves, and used the diversion of the general commotion and the clattering of the rickety ladder on its tracks to slide back into the darker obscurity in the corner of the room. Now he paused to examine the scry-stone itself. It was a smooth white rock, possibly some kind of hard granite, a disc about as thick as his little finger, and it seemed to be about the right size... Holding his eyelids wide by stretching his eyebrow and cheek, he pressed the stone into his eye-socket like the old Master's monocle... yes, it would fit, with just a little work...
Taking out his knife, he gripped it over the blade near the tip and very carefully made a small incision just underneath his left eyebrow. Steeling himself against the pain - he would have to work fast - and another matching incision just above the cheekbone, and he quickly slid the stone into the two slices as they began to rapidly seal themselves over. He had to reposition the central hole with a wrench against the closing flesh but now it was centred over his left eye with a clear view of the room despite the pain of the cuts and the pressure of the stone now wedged into his flesh.
Turning back to follow the actions on the other side of the room, he noted with relief that his little scheme had been reasonably successful. His vision in his left eye was now slightly restricted at the periphery but he still had binocular vision and the view was now augmented by the magickal properties of the stone.
As the hairy European chap climbed the antiquated ladder, he could see the object of his attention glowing more brightly, a large glass vessel, probably another of those that housed the old Master's collection of stuffed owls and falcons in the third bedroom, that was filled with a miniature copy of a small forest made of what appeared to be live plants. As Mordavo approached the colours swirled more brightly until as his large clawed hands - paws? - closed over the vessel it was almost the brightest lamp in the room.
Using the distraction, and with his scry-stone now less obvious as it was almost hidden within his eyesocket, he turned to sneak a peak at the gargoyle.
Like the rest of the party gathered at the base of the ladder, it was now stretching its granite neck to peer upward, fascinated by the glowing globe...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:10:50 pm by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2017, 07:06:08 pm »

The bell jar made her feel sort of fizzy the closer she got to it.  Qwin was trying to find a reason for that when there was a laugh like a tiny silver bell and a stream of bubbles appeared out of nowhere. She tried to get a closer look at one and it popped on her nose causing Qwin to have a sneezing fit that sent her backwards and tripping over a pile of books.  As she was getting up much to her shock someone had pinched her bottom.  Trying to find the culprit Gwin noticed the smug smile on the gargoyle."Well for goodness sake!" She snapped.  It looked like the gargoyle was firmly stuck on the shelf but that wasn't stopping it from being a cheeky little devil.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2017, 11:51:00 am »

While everybody else was still focussed on Mordavo's unsteady climb up the rickety library ladder, Lowe from his position in the corner crossed to Miss Qwin and offered his hand to help her to her feet. He tried to ignore the evident signs of her well disguised revulsion as his cold and jellied hand grasped hers. At least she was polite enough to try to hide her perfectly normal reaction - so, a real lady despite her initial unkempt appearance upon her arrival.
Noting that she was looking away from him, Lowe thought he understood why, but realised that her gaze was again fixed upon the immobile gargoyle. Immobile... but set in a different pose to the one he had seen through the stone, it's neck still craned towards the scene atop the ladder, but turned slightly.
So now that long slender stone neck was still immobile as it was suddenly grasped in Lowe's other pallid grip as Miss Qwin regained her footing amidst the scattered books.
Well, if it thought playing dead would work, he was quite interested to see what would happen if the carved granite just happened to crumble in his hand...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:54:36 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: