The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 05:35:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need basis for Bracers  (Read 412 times)
MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« on: July 16, 2017, 07:43:13 pm »

I need a cheap and easy base for a bracer i want to make.
What i plan to use so far:
https://www.decathlon.nl/p/scheenbeschermers-f100-kinderen-voetbal/_/R-p-166931?mc=8383800&c=ZWART
These are shin pads for children, since my underarms are smaller than my underlegs.

I will paint it metallic and add some gimmicks on it, but if anyone has other suggestions on what to use.
I tried arm guards (for archery), but i could not find one i liked.
I also tried looking for toy bracers (like the one Wonder Woman has), but i have not been able to locate anything on that search.

I don't think i want a leather bracers, because i have no skills to work on that, and i will have an easier time to glue or drill stuff onto the plastic.

Harvey Midnight
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:38:52 pm »

I've used 'Wilson' youth shin-guards for that purpose-- this style:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilson-Perfect-Club-Youth-Shinguard/11968971

They have a distinctive shape. Rather than painting them to look metallic, I used a faux-leather painting effect on some craft-foam and glued it over the surface, to make them look like leather bucklers. They come in three sizes...

I've always wanted to take a large and a medium, turn one in the opposite direction, so that side-curve lines up "top to bottom",  and overlap them around my forearm to make a full gauntlet.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:40:43 pm by Harvey Midnight » Logged
MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:04:36 pm »

Would you be willing to take a picture of what you ended up with? it does sound interesting and i never tried painting something as leather.
Harvey Midnight
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 02:12:47 pm »

This is basically how I do the leather effect with craft foam-- I don't actually pull out the iron, tho... hair-dryer over the foil seems to do fine.

HOW TO... Faux leather from Craft foam - Great for armor cosplay!

As for pictures.. well, it was one of my earliest pieces... initially it was just the bracers I wore. But I've lost one in a move, and I ended up turning the other into a 'pip boy':

I'm not terribly pleased with the paint-job. It's just survived a con, as well... looks about time to freshen it up. Here's a pic of the back, hopefully you can see how the leather effect looks. I do apologize for the condition it's in:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:36:00 pm by Harvey Midnight » Logged
MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 02:24:53 pm »

Thank you for the link, it seems do-able even for an clumsy idiot like me, and it would offer some nice opportunities for some other projects as well. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:31:10 pm by MichielH » Logged
Harvey Midnight
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:37:04 pm »

You're very welcome! You can find all sorts of "how-to" videos on Youtube.  I edited to add some pics, too!

Edit to add: Also, I guess we're all at different levels of 'expertise'. I've seen some posts that have AMAZING designs & pieces, folks who actually work with metal, etc.. and here I am paintin' a plastic "leftover" container to look like a vid-screen. There's nothing wrong with a solid amateur effort.. just keep the interest!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:43:37 pm by Harvey Midnight » Logged
MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 02:43:06 pm »

It has a leather look i would be pleased with, so i will definitely try this at some point. So many things i still want to do though, but it's added to the list Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: