The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 19, 2017, 10:34:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Ice Chest Question  (Read 446 times)
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« on: July 15, 2017, 12:08:19 pm »

Hey There Good Folks,i was looking around on the Internet when a Question Hit Me:Has Anyone Made a Steampunk Ice Chest? i was Thinking it might be a Fun Project to Try,What Do You Folks Think? I'm Considering Trying to Make one but........I'm Unsure what would Work for Making it Portable,Usable,and Really Steampunk Looking. Thanks for Looking.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 04:23:55 pm »

I remember once stopping in at an old corner grocery store that still had original early 20th century iceboxes; updated with modern refrigeration coils and compressors. The cabinets were heavy oak, stained dark, with glass windows. I found a picture of something similar:

Like that except built into the wall.

If you build an ice chest like that, it would have an authentic look, but it might be a little heavy and inconvenient to haul to events.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 05:55:00 pm »

Pah; you just need a couple of porters Tongue

Seriously though; wood is going to give you weight issues.  Unless you go for something like balsa, which is so flimsy as to be useless (unless you shellac or varnish it to within an inch of its life, and even then it will be fragile when finished). 

I'd be looking for something like a wicker picnic hamper to start from; wicker hamper (with the lining all stripped out), aluminium or brass sheet lining placed inside (expanded polystyrene insulation between the wicker and the metal to keep it all cool?)- you could even use a bucket if you found one that would fit in the hamper (shades of the champagne bottle in a bucket of ice trope) and then keep the ice in a plastic container or somesuch.   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:10:03 pm »

Pah; you just need a couple of porters Tongue

Seriously though; wood is going to give you weight issues.  Unless you go for something like balsa, which is so flimsy as to be useless (unless you shellac or varnish it to within an inch of its life, and even then it will be fragile when finished).  

I'd be looking for something like a wicker picnic hamper to start from; wicker hamper (with the lining all stripped out), aluminium or brass sheet lining placed inside (expanded polystyrene insulation between the wicker and the metal to keep it all cool?)- you could even use a bucket if you found one that would fit in the hamper (shades of the champagne bottle in a bucket of ice trope) and then keep the ice in a plastic container or somesuch.  

The basket is a good idea of you can figure out the lining. There's plenty of thermal cooler bags out there. But for you redcoats across the Atlantic, you might want to get some Aspen wood. It is significantly stronger than balsa and very light, and much lighter than pine. It grows in Northern Europe, Asia and North America.

In terms of hardness from soft to hard, Balsa is the softest, followed by Norwegian Birch, then Aspen. There's a huge difference between Balsa and Aspen in terms of strengh.

Why not make a self propelled icechest? Steam/electric powered with a remote control Grin. A servant robot attached to the chest... If made from a basket, make it look like a tiny carriage... And rhe robot can be the driver.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:43:33 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:19:57 am »

the arts and crafting mega stores here in the states sell replica steamer trunks to be used as furniture/storage. perhaps something like that and a well fitting conventional plastic portable ice chest inside? stuff the gap between the chest and the trunk with polyester pillow fill/batting and maybe make a slip cover for the plastic lid out of a leather looking vinyl. heck the vinyl might even make the lid seal a bit better.

you could also put the poly fill in a velvety cloth tube and fill the gap with that, to allow for the cooler to come out to drain melt water and clean the cooler.

decorate the trunk with travel stickers including zeppelin passes and martian cruise line badging.

some casters on the bottom and rope handles to carry/pull it by.

I picture a nice banner on it "the midnight sun ice company" ~best nocturnal solar ice on the planet, the moon too!~

don't ask me what nocturnal solar ice is, I just deliver it ma'am. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: