The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:57:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Italian Futurist Cooking  (Read 268 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: July 15, 2017, 05:22:55 am »

Someone started a topic elsewhere on this forum about Italian Futurism in steampunk. I did a little research and found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurist_cooking

The idea was to break away from old culinary traditions and create something completely new. The resulting ideas are insane.

Go down to the section marked "Example meals and dishes" and read the paragraph with the heading "Tactile Dinner". It sounds like an event that Salvador Dali might have organized. I could imagine Andy Warhol hosting one of these events at his factory.

EDIT: (Fixed your broken link) -JW
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:28:06 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:29:58 am »

Someone started a topic elsewhere on this forum about Italian Futurism in steampunk. I did a little research and found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurist_cooking

The idea was to break away from old culinary traditions and create something completely new. The resulting ideas are insane.

Go down to the section marked "Example meals and dishes" and read the paragraph with the heading "Tactile Dinner". It sounds like an event that Salvador Dali might have organized. I could imagine Andy Warhol hosting one of these events at his factory.

From Wiki:

cooking and eating needed to become subservient to the proper aesthetic experience that Futurism favored

Oh boy! You know you're going to get in trouble with a line like that, eh?

Abolition of the knife and fork

Because smearing sauce all over yourself and the table tends to produce modernist art  Grin

Perfect meals requiring originality and harmony in table setting, including all implements, food aesthetics and tastes, and absolute originality in the food

Totally lame line. I would have expected something more along the lines of "dissonance" or "contrast." "Harmony" just sounds too "old fashioned" to me...  Roll Eyes

Sculpted foods, including meats whose main appeal is to the eye and imagination

Use of perfumes to enhance the tasting experience

Well, we do that already. Just look at one of the myriad foodie shows on cable. Pastry competitions, Cutting edge and Molecular Gastronomy are in full swing with the hipsters now...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_gastronomy

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurist_cooking
Divorced Eggs:

I think the Italians stole than name from a Mexican egg dish (no joke, that is the name of a type of egg dish): https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=huevos+divorciados&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Milk in a Green Light: A large bowl of cold milk, a few teaspoons of honey, many black grapes, and several red radishes illuminated by a green light. The author suggest it be served with a "polibibita" or cocktail of mineral water, beer, and blackberry juice

I fear this migh make the guest a bit nauseous...

Tactile Dinner:

A multi-course meal featured in Marinetti's The Futurist Cookbook. Pajamas have been prepared for the dinner, each one covered with a different material such as sponge, cork, sandpaper, or felt. As the guests arrive, each puts on a pair of the pajamas. Once all have arrived and are dressed in pajamas, they are taken to an unlit, empty room. Without being able to see, each guest chooses a dinner partner according to their tactile impression. The guests then enter the dining room, which consists of tables for two, and discover the partner they have selected.

The meal begins. The first course is a 'polyrhythmic salad,' which consists of a box containing a bowl of undressed lettuce leaves, dates and grapes. The box has a crank on the left side. Without using cutlery, the guests eat with their right hand while turning the crank with their left. This produces music to which the waiters dance until the course is finished.

The second course is 'magic food', which is served in small bowls covered with tactile materials. The bowl is held in the left hand while the right picks out balls made of caramel and filled with different ingredients such as dried fruits, raw meat, garlic, mashed banana, chocolate, or pepper. The guests cannot guess what flavor they will encounter next.

The third course is 'tactile vegetable garden,' which is a plate of cooked and raw green vegetables without dressing. The guest eats the vegetables without the use of their hands, instead burying their face in the plate of vegetables, feeling the sensation of the greens on their face and lips. Each time a guest raises their head to chew, the waiters spray their face with perfume.

Oooh! Sounds like fun. But you might have more guests leaving than the ones who came. What if instead of vegetables you get a mouthful of something else?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:49:31 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:48:39 pm »

I see a small germ of enlightenment surrounded by a thick chaff of stupidity. I am also slightly saddened by the fact that the originators of this movement are most assuredly now dead and unavailable for me to slap some sense into. its like they were careening down a mountain road and skillfully keeping the car on track... until they all decided to clap each other on the back and let go of the wheel and hand brake and went sailing over the guardrail, totally confused as to why they just crashed.
they should have turned the wheel before they hit the "absurdity curve ahead" sign

they seem to be suffering from the disconnect that I witness in a lot of so-called food critics who put as much weight in the looks of a dish as they do in the actual taste of it.

I'm sorry but if it looks great and tastes like crap, I don't care that it looks great, its still crap. if it tastes great and looks like crap, I'm going to complain that it looks bad and eat it anyway. if need be, with my eyes closed. my own version of tactile eating I guess Grin
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:22:10 pm »

Vincent Price was known to have macabre dinner parties. He would have all the food dyed blue.

So if I make my guests wear unwashed wool. Then serve them mash potato sculptures I'll be a futuristic Italian cook!

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:39:20 am »

just be careful with the food coloring... my sister called her doctor once when she sh!t bright green. he told her to stop eating bagels at the local shop. turned out the cook there misread the directions for adding the food coloring to the cream cheese for their bagels, in support of the local college football (Michigan, blue and yellow)
once eaten, blue and yellow made green in the end, at least her end and the ends of the 8 other people the doctor had seen that day already!
damn illiterate futuristic Italian cook! learn2read! Roll Eyes
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:33:35 am »

Otto Von Pifka, you just made my day.  Smiley

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 04:12:58 pm »

Vincent Price was known to have macabre dinner parties. He would have all the food dyed blue.

I have a copy of Vincent Price's cookbook. I haven't read it in its entirety, but I haven't seen any mention of dying food blue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: