The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 06:33:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk fact vs. Steampunk fiction  (Read 242 times)
NoirMagus
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: July 12, 2017, 05:35:05 am »

Today I'm a guest of The Steampunk Cavaliers, chatting about Steampunk fact vs. Steampunk fiction http://wp.me/p7eh3t-ad
The article is based on an epiphany I had will at the New Zealand Steampunk Festival in Oamaru. I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on the issue.

Cheers,

Gareth
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 06:28:46 am »

Today I'm a guest of The Steampunk Cavaliers, chatting about Steampunk fact vs. Steampunk fiction http://wp.me/p7eh3t-ad
The article is based on an epiphany I had will at the New Zealand Steampunk Festival in Oamaru. I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on the issue.

Cheers,

Gareth

Just to clarify. If I understand correctly, in the context of your treatise, "Steampunk Fact" refers to the Steampunk you see at conventions, and "Steampunk Fiction" refers to the Steampunk you read in a novel.

If I may be so bold to re-define your terms, I would refer to Historically-based Anachronism versus Fashion Anachronism. I carefully chose those terms to be specific enough about what we are talking about.

I suspect the adherence of Steampunk fashions to embellishments is a function of who is doing the dressing. The literary author vs. the Fashionista. In the former case, a literary author has an entire Steampunk universe to convey the message that this character him/herself is an anachronism living in an alternate timeline - embellishments not required. Whereas if you go to a convention, or simply take a stroll around town, the fashionista needs to convey to the public the anachrinism through artificial devices such as embellishments. Otherwise what is there to differentiate a Steampunk from a historical re-enactor?

Such embellishments are completely unnecessary in a novel, so the author is free to try to simply refer to historical fashion by itself. In other words the Steampunk fashion in a novel is a Historical-based Anachronism. The Steampunk at a convention is just the fashion required to identify personally within a group of peers in the Steampunk movement... fashion is fashion.

Or at least it seems to me to be that way  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: