The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 06:33:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you hiding, Mr. Tesla?  (Read 321 times)
Stormcat
Officer
United States United States

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« on: July 06, 2017, 10:08:24 pm »

I am intrigued by Nikola Tesla's theory of "Free Energy for All", but you simply can't type that into Google without getting a whole boatload of conspiracy nuts trying to peddle their woo.

So, I am asking for help finding relatively objective sources for research about Tesla and his numerous inventions. In particular, I am interested in his ideas about energy distribution. I am writing a story which features creatures that can manipulate all forms of energy, so Tesla might have some good ideas about where to find energy in the world around us.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:26:28 pm »

Tesla's plan was to harness the entire water flow of Niagara Falls to produce electricity to transmit to the masses through a tower. As it turns out, investors are not interested in putting their money into giving things away free to the world with no possibility of recovering the investment, and it also turns out that transmitting electricity more than a few yards is not feasible.
Stormcat
Officer

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:32:51 pm »

Oh, I'm well aware of what he did in Niagara falls, but I want to find out more information about the plans he drew up for his inventions.
SkyCityPublishing
Swab

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:49:01 am »

Captain Obviousman man here, but did you check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla ?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 07:52:13 pm »

Oh, I'm well aware of what he did in Niagara falls, but I want to find out more information about the plans he drew up for his inventions.

When he died a lot of his papers were sent back to Czecoslovakia where his only living relatives lived, but those papers vanished into government archives and I don't know if they ever resurfaced. There are reports of blueprints being blown away by the wind when Wardenclyffe was demolished during the first world war. However, some of his papers do still exist, and many have been published. I believe that there is even a Tesla book in the classics section at Barnes and Noble; leatherette bound for about $20.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:59:28 pm »

Wasn't his idea to send out electromagnetic waves which could then power objects at a distance? It can be done but so much energy would go wasted.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
SkyCityPublishing
Swab

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 09:59:09 pm »

When he died a lot of his papers were sent back to Czecoslovakia where his only living relatives lived, but those papers vanished into government archives and I don't know if they ever resurfaced. There are reports of blueprints being blown away by the wind when Wardenclyffe was demolished during the first world war. However, some of his papers do still exist, and many have been published. I believe that there is even a Tesla book in the classics section at Barnes and Noble; leatherette bound for about $20.

Theres also these... I haven't read them - https://vault.fbi.gov/nikola-tesla
SkyCityPublishing
Swab

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:03:07 pm »

Wasn't his idea to send out electromagnetic waves which could then power objects at a distance? It can be done but so much energy would go wasted.

Wasted... and the power companies would lose all that money...
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 05:53:46 am »

I recall a claim that the "magnifying transmitter" would somehow trigger the release of natural free atmospheric energy that would multiply the energy transmitted.  With the more mature understanding today of electromagnetism and Earth's atmosphere, that does not appear to be a realistic proposition.

I've also observed that Mr. Tesla, especially in his later years, tended towards delusions of grandeur, paranoia, and very poor note taking for fear of his inventions being stolen.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 04:28:01 pm »

I recall a claim that the "magnifying transmitter" would somehow trigger the release of natural free atmospheric energy that would multiply the energy transmitted.  With the more mature understanding today of electromagnetism and Earth's atmosphere, that does not appear to be a realistic proposition.

I've also observed that Mr. Tesla, especially in his later years, tended towards delusions of grandeur, paranoia, and very poor note taking for fear of his inventions being stolen.

The lack of mature understanding of electromagnetism, combined with the poor note taking, and the delusions of grandeur (leading to many premature press announcements) is what lead to modern conspiracy theories that there are physics-defying Tesla technologies being suppressed by sinister forces.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:45:59 pm by RJBowman » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 10:49:51 am »

Sorry, I spoke out of turn, and desire to test the idea before I post about it here. Sorry about that. (it was the old flourescent tube special effect experiment as proof that there's an accessible energy field under high tension power lines. I said a number of things that, in retrospect, I do not know to be true firsthand, thus the decision to take my post down. Again, my apologies).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:06:47 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: