The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 02:46:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F**k you Photobucket!  (Read 469 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« on: July 06, 2017, 03:39:33 am »

Ahem, please forgive the vituperate heading, but I'm a tad unpleased. Doubtlessly I'm not the only one affected here, but for those of you that don't know. Obviously BG like a great many forums, requires the use of a photo hosting site in order to post pictures. There have been a few to choose from, and traditionally they've mostly been free. Like a lot of folks, I've been using Photobucket for years now. Despite a few daft memes and such, I consider certainly the historical pictures, to be probably the most constructive thing I've contributed to this forum. Anyway Photobucket in their infinite wisdom, have decide to suspend third party sharing and block years worth of images all over the net. These will not be unblocked unless the account holders cough up $399 a year for the privilege. An absolutely disgusting form of blackmail , which I hope ultimately results in their site being completely abandoned. However the damage to the forum archives is done. https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:43:54 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 07:04:34 am »

Ahem, please forgive the vituperate heading, but I'm a tad unpleased. Doubtlessly I'm not the only one affected here, but for those of you that don't know. Obviously BG like a great many forums, requires the use of a photo hosting site in order to post pictures. There have been a few to choose from, and traditionally they've mostly been free. Like a lot of folks, I've been using Photobucket for years now. Despite a few daft memes and such, I consider certainly the historical pictures, to be probably the most constructive thing I've contributed to this forum. Anyway Photobucket in their infinite wisdom, have decide to suspend third party sharing and block years worth of images all over the net. These will not be unblocked unless the account holders cough up $399 a year for the privilege. An absolutely disgusting form of blackmail , which I hope ultimately results in their site being completely abandoned. However the damage to the forum archives is done. https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges

$399? Why that's highway robbery. But like you said, it is absolutely possible that will end their business. Just take a look at some upstarts like rebelmouse.com. They were not even in the vocabulary when they decided to start charging money. Now people will never hear from them again. And Hulu? That is still to be seen, but I haven't gone back to Hulu since they started demanding money. I suspect most people will put up with commercials as long as they can get free service. From my perspective the Internet entertainment industry is - in spite of all these years- still learning how to treat consumers and capitalize on the media. Trial and error, we shall find who stays open for business.

And you say you were not given any warning?  That is bad form indeed.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 07:10:15 am »

BTW you need to do what I do. I always have in mind the most important relevant threads I have written on this site. I'm always necromancing my own threads. I regularly inspect whether the photos are still in place, and if not I use another host and replace the pictures. It allows me the excuse to re-visit old material.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:20:10 am »

I rarely post photos to Forums with the intention of there being a permanent link.
However, when I did I used Photobucket because it was free and easy.

As I have now deleted all my photos from Photobucket and deleted my account a few blank spaces may appear.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:21:22 am »

I just tweet my pictures and the post the link. I haven't lost any pictures yet since 2009... Deviantart photos have been there for many years as well. No need to rely on half-baked image hosting services.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:19:34 pm »

You can register a domain and get real web hosting for significantly less.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:20:49 pm »

You can register a domain and get real web hosting for significantly less.

No need to register a domain, you can simply use one of the free 'dynamic DNS' services - and then host from your own computer for free.  Wink

Mind you, if you do go the route of self hosting, make sure you have enough data allowances and are able to run a server via your internet service provider. Also you may find that over the years, your service bandwidth may start to bottleneck if you post a huge number of popular images all over the net.   Cheesy

Anyhow, I'm in the same boat - I am in the process of deleting all my old accounts and images (I have several for different uses and due to storage restrictions). However I am downloading and re-uploading the images used for this forum to a new service when I decide what to use. So at least BG will not have loads of dead image links from me, however I get the feeling that Tactile is about to become much less interesting than it once was - you may want to save copies of any interesting old images before they expire...

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 06:19:43 pm »

I switched to imgur a few months back.  I have given up as irretrievably lost any photos of mine from around the middle of 2016 back (I tend to prune my laptop image folders from time to time).  The ones I had on photobucket I wanted to keep, I downloaded, before deleting every photo of mine on there and closing my account.  I won't be held to ransom by a third-rate third party host.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 07:40:34 am »

How does one delete one's Photobucket account? I'm having trouble finding a link to do so.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 11:48:09 am »

From what I recall of deleting my account, I had to go into the 'help' section and look it up.  (The link to delete the account might be in settings?) Anyway you have to click a couple of links to confirm you want to delete it, then you have to fill out a little form telling them why you want to delete it ("Because you're a grasping bunch of thieves" or words to that effect was my answer) and then they delete the account within 48 hours, or so they say. 
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 07:48:39 pm »

Photobucket? More like PhotoF**kit!  Angry
I'm taking down my account.
I haven't heared anyone who was pleased with their recent changes.
I haven't used their website recently and I don't have a lot of pictures there anyway.
I have moved to Flickr many years ago, because Photobucket was instable. Crashed quite a few times a year and for what I'm experiancing right now, it hasn't changed.
Do they use telephone dail-in connection or something? It's terribly slow right now.
While I'm waiting for the site to show up, I'm writing this rant.

For those who would like to delete their account:
To delete a Free account:
Place your mouse on the Profile icon next to Plans (top right), and choose Settings.
Your settings will display. Click Here if already logged in!
Click the Account tab and scroll to the bottom of the page.
Click Delete this account.
Enter a reason, slide the slider to prove that you are a human and click the Delete My Account button.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 12:10:35 am »

How does one delete one's Photobucket account? I'm having trouble finding a link to do so.

One deletes one's account by not paying  $399.99 a year.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 12:15:00 am »

That's true. The account will be closed either way. The best way to stick it to them is to not pay, so their server will still be occupied with your photos until they realize you will not pay at all. Of course that means a whole bunch of adverts and emails to convince you to come back, though that may happen any way.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 01:13:01 am »

Photobucket is terrible. I'm really happy I switched to imgur before the bucketpocalypse! I hope everyone is able to salvage their favorite photos!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:16:10 am by annevpreussen » Logged

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 01:39:48 am »

I guess I'm particularly annoyed, because really only having had my own proper internet since late 2009, BG was the first forum I joined. I set up the Pb account specifically for this place, and the vast majority of images are indeed linked here. I was never intending to delete anything, because when trawling the annals of the interwebs for some obscure research, I still find it really annoying when so many images are missing. Often removed by the OP, which can happen for many reasons obviously. Nevertheless I do view the internet as an invaluable archive, particularly for esoteric interests. Someone might be really interested in an obscure post you made 10 + years ago. If there were accompanying images which are now gone, that can be frustrating. Pb's actions are particularly underhand, because they're perfectly aware people have been using their service for exactly this purpose for years. To suddenly go from charging nothing to this ludicrous amount of money is pure extortion.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:03:32 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 08:10:00 am »

Yes, I'm afraid all my images that were displayed on BG have all gone 'dark' - photobucket has kicked the bucket.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 12:16:46 pm »

When I click on a Photobucket picture at the Hilarious Pictures thread (there's a few still PB pics visible apparently), it's linked and I get to a page where, I see a whole bunch of advertising framing the picture. Has it always been that way? Or am I to assume any picture still visible in BG belongs to someone who paid the ransom?

If so, then you pay, and on top of that your pics will bombard your audience with advertising.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 03:17:09 am »

In any case, I guess I'll just wait 'til my account expires and they have to dispose of the crud themselves (the smelly nerks); I've backed up everything anyhow, not that any of it is still relevant (most of it's just gratis artwork I did for a defunct website).
montrehomme 50
Officer
France France

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 09:10:55 pm »

I too have lost all images on the forum, I too refuse to pay the ransom to Photobucket and I too have just signed up to Imgur.
I shall try and replace my missing images just as soon as time allows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: