The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:23:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robot butler [split topic]  (Read 49 times)
milamber
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 28, 2014, 03:15:09 pm »

If we are on the subject of steampunk vacuum cleaners I bought this around 6 months ago.......It just screamed 'steampunk', but I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. My proposals for a coffee table were met with stony silence Smiley

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:37:48 pm »

If we are on the subject of steampunk vacuum cleaners I bought this around 6 months ago.......It just screamed 'steampunk', but I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. My proposals for a coffee table were met with stony silence Smiley

Firstly - WOW! Nice!  Shocked

Secondly - what the hell is it??  I've never seen anything like that before (looks like some sort of industrial steam generator (cleaning, wall paper stripping etc). Any more pics?  Smiley

And thirdly - Steampunk? Yes, VERY!  Grin

Now that I finally have the my classic car fixed up, MOTed and put back to bed - I can get back to working on this project. And with that said, I'm off to the back yard to do some paint effects on the robovac...  Wink

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 05:02:45 pm »

It's just a vacuum cleaner - probably an industrial one like you say. I'd guess it dates from the 1950's. It had a separate motor in each of the three domes and each had it's own bag. I've stripped it out completely as it weighed a ton and I wasn't willing to trust 60 year old electrics. Still not exactly manoeuvrable. It's pretty big, about 35" long and 30" high. Someone before said it looked like something for hatching baby daleks Smiley

I just had to have it and it only cost £20. Trouble is, the barn is full of things like that. This just happens to be the biggest.....

I can easily take some more photos if you like
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:45:47 pm »

I don't think that's 1950's, more like 1930's at least...  the style of construction suggests 1920 - 1940 max. Likely it was for factory / office cleaners, which allowed more than one to work a room / multiple rooms with one device. It was common to have only one electrical outlet in a room, whole floor or even for the whole building. Often the only available socket was for lighting, which required a special bayonet plug to fit into the lamp socket. Mind you this is mostly guesswork, once I have a make or model number, I might be able to dig up the true history.  Smiley

Indeed, I would be quite interested in a few more pics of that, especially the triangular name plate and any other identifying marks. Feel free to post 'em here - I can tidy up the thread later.  Wink

I'm willing to bet you just made some antique vacuum cleaner collector very angry...  Grin
milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:31:01 pm »

Here you go. I originally thought 20's/30's based on the style - very Flash Gordon, but the second photo would date it no earlier than 1952, though it may well be an earlier model that they were still churning out. Not that I know anything about vacuums - just thought it looked cool Smiley

Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:41:42 pm »

Definitely potential for something.  What, I am not sure.  I see three robot heads sticking out of a space ship, but beyond that.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:12:00 am »

Hmm...perhaps something like a three headed butler?

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:18:18 am »

Right, limited info, but yeah you're right about it being 1950's. So, it was made by New Welbeck Ltd, circa 1953. It is an industrial vacuum cleaner as suspected. The model is the New Welbeck "Triplex".

FLIGHT, 25 February 1955

THE INDUSTRY

NOW being used to an increasing extent by aircraft operators and the industry is the range of industrial vacuum cleaners made by New Welbeck, Ltd., 120 New Bedford Road, Luton, Beds. Users in the industry, it is stated, include English Electric, Fairey, deHavilland, Rolls-Royce and Folland; and these cleaners are also being used in the servicing of R.A.F, aircraft of the Queen's Flight, and in the U.S.A.F.

A characteristic of the equipment is portability, each machine being light and compact enough to be taken to any part of the work area, where it is used with a short length of hose. The dust-bag commonly used in domestic machines is dispensed with, the dirt going straight into the metal container and the air exhaust-ing through a self-cleaning filter

The New Welbeck range consists of three models, the Simplex, Duplex and Triplex, with one, two and three driving motors respectively; there is also a lightweight machine, the "Bak-Vak"; designed to be carried on the operator's back, it weighs 16-1/2 lb complete. For all models there is a wide range of nozzles, brushes, etc., for use in various situations.

I think I was right about you probably getting some collector angry, can't have been many of these machines to have survived.  Wink
Now you are duty-bound to make something awesome with it. Steampunk computer case?... 

Not bad for a £20 eBay find.  Wink
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:31:54 am »

Or put that meter to good use and make a slightly sad three headed butler...

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 01:56:13 am »

Or put that meter to good use and make a slightly sad three headed butler...

Nice
milamber
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 05:43:16 am »

That's awesome, Cubinoid. Though the finished concept would be around 5' high and almost as wide. Can't see having that in the corner of the living room would make me any more popular than my idea of putting a glass top on it and using it as a table.......It's a very creative design though - love it. The sad faced meter was another car boot bargain. It's currently in my pile of 'bits' without any firm plans, but bakelite and brass with a cool dial and arcane looking symbols on the switches - got to be good for something Smiley

Thanks for the additional info Siliconous Skumins. I have actually seen one of the Duplex models on Ebay, but that's the only other one by New Welbeck that I have seen. I originally thought it might be good for a rocket pack, until I saw how big it was that is. I thought £20 was pretty good too, but I have a barn full of 'bargains'. Currently working on my rocket pack and leather armour for my wife. After that perhaps I will turn to the vacuum and have a proper think.
K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:10:50 pm »

I keep seeing some kind of arcane ghostbusting equipment...

Thank you Wikipedia! (Assuming this is true, of course.)

Aykroyd's vision of "Ghostmashers" traveling through time, space and other dimensions to fight large ghosts was deemed financially impractical by Reitman.

Makes the brain pan quite explode.

'Arthur, you have no historical perspective. Science in those days worked in broad strokes. They got right to the point. Nowadays, it's all just molecule, molecule, molecule. Nothing ever happens big.' ~The Tick
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

cubinoid
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:29:19 pm »

I think that's a pretty neat size for a robot butler, personally!
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:00:06 am »

a bit late in the process, but I had an idea reading about the ironclads of the civil war. turn it into a monitor turret.

if the robot is of the "bump into something, back up a bit, turn and scoot off" you could in theory have two stubby gun barrels on the switch plate out front. even out the back, as long as they don't snag anything while rotating away.

along the lines of having a chimney, you could add a smaller turret (or two) and a chimney and a little flag at the rear.

home security!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 12:52:54 am »

Work on this project has been on hold as I have had a couple of other big projects to deal with (renovating a house that's been empty for the last 20+ years for starters...). I'm just getting to the point that I can get back to the vacu-bot in my spare time. Should be in the next few days.  Wink

I have been taking some inspiration from Victorian carpet cleaning gadgets of the time, and I think I have a rough idea where I'm going with it. Stay tuned.  Grin
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 07:00:15 pm »

wow, empty?

nothing destroys a house faster than being empty. cold of winter and heart of summer destroys everything, right down to the studs and foundation. renovating can be a soul sucking experience anyways, 20yrs? like making out with chuthulu Cheesy

you have my sympathies and I wish you good luck on that.

feel free to log on and vent your spleen here, we can dust you off and send you back in whenever you need.
tech support for the soul, as it were. Wink
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 10:50:31 pm »

Reserecting this thread - just found this project buried in a big pile of incomplete projects... Roll Eyes

Have began working on it, painting complete, partly reassembled, currently working on electronics as I type this.
Seems I have lost several screws, but I can improvise / steal them from other things. Missing a spring from the power switch - found LOADS of various sized springs, but non fit! May have to improvise something or change the power switch... Undecided

Pics to follow. Wink
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 01:31:15 am »

Going to be interesting to see these 'butlers' evolve. Keep up the good work, everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: