The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 06:11:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragoncon 2017  (Read 355 times)
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« on: June 26, 2017, 07:01:35 pm »

In August this year I will be going to Dragoncon in Atlanta for the first time. I've had several friends go from the UK over the years, and they have raved about it, one of the main reasons I'm going. Is anyone else from here going as well? If anyone's been before, do you have any advice and information that I'll find useful?

Thanks in advance, and who knows, we might even meet up!

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:34:29 pm »

In August this year I will be going to Dragoncon in Atlanta for the first time. I've had several friends go from the UK over the years, and they have raved about it, one of the main reasons I'm going. Is anyone else from here going as well? If anyone's been before, do you have any advice and information that I'll find useful?

Thanks in advance, and who knows, we might even meet up!

I'm not that close (not that far either), but it'd be awesome to meet a Brasgoggler from the other side of the pond. I doubt I'll have the means and time- unless some miracle happens.

Do get mentally as well as physically prepared, though, as you'll be going to the "Deep South" where the temperature is hot and the air is humid. It might feel a tad overwhelming for a first timer - though you're likely to be in frequent use of artificial climate in taxis, buses, and most venues. You'll get to see how incredibly widespread the use of AC is in America. I mean, we don't put AC in bicycles because no one has figured out how to extract that much energy for the compressor from the human body  Grin. But I think we came close with AC in some motorcycles...

ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 02:59:02 am »

Long time Dragon Con attendee/ staffer- if you can, make plans to attend the Mechanical Masquerade on Sunday. It's a lot of fun! Also I work the Con Suite, that is free food. It is on the second floor of the Hyatt. I would love to meet a fellow Brass goggles person!  I will most likely be dressed as a steampunk fairy....

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:18:42 am »

Dragoncon; one of the most impressive shows of the type. I attended a couple of times as an assistant to a group of film actors that appeared at the show. But I have not attended in over a decade, and am reluctant because I believe that the organizers dragged their feet in cutting their ties to Ed Kramer.

But I will tell you my favorite story from the event:

In the evening after the autograph and venders room closed, I walked with some friends down the street to a liquor store. The sidewalks were full of people in costumes on their way to evening events. I don't remember why, but I did not enter the liquor store and waited outside while my friends went in to make their purchase. A man stood in front of the liquor store in a Superman costume, and I said hello to my fellow convention attendee.

Then, after a minute, I noticed the state that Superman was in. He was very unkempt looking, and his costume was dirty and worn and had holes in it.

And I realized that Superman was a local vagrant, panhandling in front the the liquor store. He was probably wearing a costume that a Dragoncon attendee had thrown away the year before. It was possible that he wore the super suit every day, but on only one weekend a year, the cape and tights made him blend into the crowd.

That's the Dragoncon story that I will tell here, and I will reserve the story of the Klingon spanking party for other forums.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 05:47:58 am »

Dragoncon; one of the most impressive shows of the type. I attended a couple of times as an assistant to a group of film actors that appeared at the show. But I have not attended in over a decade, and am reluctant because I believe that the organizers dragged their feet in cutting their ties to Ed Kramer.

But I will tell you my favorite story from the event:

In the evening after the autograph and venders room closed, I walked with some friends down the street to a liquor store. The sidewalks were full of people in costumes on their way to evening events. I don't remember why, but I did not enter the liquor store and waited outside while my friends went in to make their purchase. A man stood in front of the liquor store in a Superman costume, and I said hello to my fellow convention attendee.

Then, after a minute, I noticed the state that Superman was in. He was very unkempt looking, and his costume was dirty and worn and had holes in it.

And I realized that Superman was a local vagrant, panhandling in front the the liquor store. He was probably wearing a costume that a Dragoncon attendee had thrown away the year before. It was possible that he wore the super suit every day, but on only one weekend a year, the cape and tights made him blend into the crowd.

That's the Dragoncon story that I will tell here, and I will reserve the story of the Klingon spanking party for other forums.

Well, if a Klingon Spanking Party is what you're worried about, then you need to appropriate the correct Gluteus maximus armor. Those Bat'leth are rather hard on the posterior Grin.
Knight Walker
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:29:26 pm »

Four day costume party!

A well place stick of dynamite solves all problems.
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 05:17:10 pm »

Thanks folks, I look forward to seeing some of you there.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 07:54:25 pm »

Will you have your brass goggles name on your badge?
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 07:58:44 am »

I may well do, or just shortened to Major Q/ Maj Q.
Knight Walker
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 01:25:26 pm »

Just wish I could make it this year.  Cry
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 04:37:10 am »

This is the reason I've been on staff for 20 years... you get in free for working the convention.
Knight Walker
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »

This is the reason I've been on staff for 20 years... you get in free for working the convention.

But do you get to see the con?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 06:14:34 pm »

But do you get to see the con?

Volunteers typically only work a few hours of each day of the convention, and can request hours that don't conflict with events that they want to attend.
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 09:05:20 am »

Packing in progress!
Evangeline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 11:18:51 am »

Major, are you packing your kilt?? I think you should take part in the kilt blowing (details under the picture):

http://thedevilspanties.com/archives/12048

I've been a fan of Jennie's for a long time and it would be great to see someone I know in there Smiley
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 01:42:17 am »

Major, are you packing your kilt?? I think you should take part in the kilt blowing (details under the picture):

http://thedevilspanties.com/archives/12048

I've been a fan of Jennie's for a long time and it would be great to see someone I know in there Smiley

I went, I took part in the kilt blowing, I had a fantastic time!

ForestB, I did pop in to the Hyatt to say hi, but the guy in charge told me you'd been taken ill. Sorry to hear that, maybe next year (already booked my room!).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:09:20 am by Major Wolfram Quicksilver » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: