The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 11:11:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux Command Line Questions  (Read 323 times)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« on: June 18, 2017, 06:05:12 pm »

I have a raspberry pi zero w that I finally managed to get ssh working after a weekish of flaffing about (spaced out over a monthish) because I couldn't figure out why wifi wasn't working on it. I have it updated, and right now it's living in an old glasses casemerrily puttering away on my network doing little to nothing. This thread is twofold.

With the pi as is, sitting on my network with just the tiny amount of storage it has on crd what can I do with it through SSH that would be useful? This part would potentially be helpful to those that have any old hardware that they can afford to leave somewhere running their flavor of linux on.

I have a simi sorta goal if I can get help with the fiddly soldoring bits to make a pocket terminal, mostly aimed at writing, but possibly for a few other things depending on how comfortable i get with command line.

so on to the questions!

Are there any 'writer centric' text editors for command line? Failing that any way to make Nano a little more friendly to long period writing?

Any way to take text files and post those as blog entries?

Non-obtuse/easy to use mail clients?

Any chance at a CLI boingboing board program?

Is there a way regardless of what the terminal is doing, to have a line of screen space reserved for battery indicator, current time/other infobits that'd be nice at a glance?

Any way I can easily alt-tab between terminal windows? A related question is if that is possible how do i close out of a terminal when i'm no longer needing it to conserve on memory used and cpu cycles?

Any good command-line music players?

IM Applications (steam, AIM, Google, etc? I know bitlbee is a thing and i used that off of my DS since there was a homebrew irc client with a not infuriating UI. However are there other alternatives? I... how hard is Finch to use?

Clamshell or slide-out? As in do I use a clamshell DiW 'let's get an xbox chatpad connected to a pi and an adafrit tft' or do I go with N-O-D-E's modded iphone keyboard case?

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:37:51 am »

Command line text editors, nano is among the better available.  Some swear by vim or emacs, but I'm not among them.

The last command line email client I used was pine, many years ago.  I recall it being pretty friendly.

VLC has a command line interface for playing media.

"alt-tab" switching between applications, and a status line, are functionality I haven't seen over ssh.  But I expect a shell between the ssh session and the applications could be devised for both.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:01:33 pm »

response I got elsewhere about asking after using a raspberry pi to basically DiY a palm-top honestly is more than a bit... odd...:

> Well honestly, if it's just for console use only, I would buy a Walmart $50-80 android tablet and install an ssh or console app.

This is very true. I could go buy a no-name china-slave-labor tablet. However where's the fun in that?
Machinecoin
Deck Hand

Machinecoin
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:10:36 pm »

Are there any 'writer centric' text editors for command line? Failing that any way to make Nano a little more friendly to long period writing?

- VIM/VI is awesome once you get used to it.

Any way I can easily alt-tab between terminal windows? A related question is if that is possible how do i close out of a terminal when i'm no longer needing it to

- On Centos, I am able to open up new tabs with ctrl + shift + T, and switch between terminals with ctrl + pgup  or pgdown
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: