The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 02:57:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Tea Party!  (Read 717 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 04:27:02 pm »

You have to have something besides tea; scones, shortbread with jelly, chocolate chip cookies, etc.

Get some of this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Synsepalum+dulcificum
It makes sour things taste sweet. You can put out a plate of unpleasantly sour foods and sour drinks, get everyone to taste them. Then pass out the magic pills, get everyone to chew them up. Have them taste the sour foods again, and everything suddenly tastes sweet.
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 05:13:14 pm »

I think that "Chasing the Dragon" would be even more dangerous from a legal standpoint... Besides, where on Earth does one get Laudanum nowadays? The Chinese dens of debauchery no longer exist. All they want to do now is serve you is plates of Dim Sum and a sorry excuse for tea.
We could grow the poppies ourselves. Organic, home-grown opium!

On a more serious note,  there are the various herbal teas.  Ginger, raspberry, hibiscus, citrus etc  with their different  health benefits  and flavours .  Then you have the different  blends of tea. Irish Breakfast, Dah jeeling,  Kenyan, Earl Grey etc.

Then you have the punches made with a tea base . Check out  Alexis Soyer, a military  chef from the Georgian  era. He had several recipes for alcoholic and non alcoholic  punch, that looked more appealing than it sounds.    There are recent reproductions of his recipe books available .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_Soyer

Consider your friends tea drink habits  and  taste preferences as to whether  they would prefer  traditional tea drinking or a fruity alternative.  

[xtra merit for not pushing alcohol on guests and friends ]

I personally prefer hot, dark, non-sweetened teas like English Breakfast tea, Assam tea, and Lapsang Souchong (yes, I know it's basically smoked garbage but I love it), but my friends like fruity or floral teas that basically taste like juice and lots and lots of sugar. I think I'll maybe offer a variety of three or so different types of teas, so everyone can try them and see what they like best. The tea-based punch is also a really good idea! I wanted to provide an alternative to hot teas, and it's nice to know that there's historical precedent  Cheesy

You have to have something besides tea; scones, shortbread with jelly, chocolate chip cookies, etc.

Get some of this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Synsepalum+dulcificum
It makes sour things taste sweet. You can put out a plate of unpleasantly sour foods and sour drinks, get everyone to taste them. Then pass out the magic pills, get everyone to chew them up. Have them taste the sour foods again, and everything suddenly tastes sweet.
Of course! I want to do the traditional finger sandwiches as well as a variety of other scones and treats, and maybe a soup or something. The shortbread and jelly is a really good idea! I might try that  Grin And the miracle berries or whatever they're called sound really interesting as well! 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:18:49 pm by annevpreussen » Logged

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 02:38:50 am »

And just one more thing; could we see some pictures, please?
emc
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 09:20:23 pm »

i am also planing to have tea party, for mine i am:
getting a map table cloth,
going to make some steampunk hats out of card for decorating (the house and peoples heads),
going to print off a lode of black and white pics of people dressed up in steampunk and have them in some old frames,
going to make a card zeppelin skeleton
going to have some posters and schematics
going to have candle sticks
and play parlor games.
going to fill some old glass containers with water and food dye

i also have designed two lamps that are very stempunky and will use them as a centerpiece. it is very Victorian to have a centerpiece on a table.
if you are on a low budget then just wonder around charity shops, a large part of steampunk is making things and there are many guides online that may help
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 08:54:23 pm »

i am also planing to have tea party, for mine i am:
getting a map table cloth,
going to make some steampunk hats out of card for decorating (the house and peoples heads),
going to print off a lode of black and white pics of people dressed up in steampunk and have them in some old frames,
going to make a card zeppelin skeleton
going to have some posters and schematics
going to have candle sticks
and play parlor games.
going to fill some old glass containers with water and food dye

i also have designed two lamps that are very stempunky and will use them as a centerpiece. it is very Victorian to have a centerpiece on a table.
if you are on a low budget then just wonder around charity shops, a large part of steampunk is making things and there are many guides online that may help

That sounds like it will be a wonderful party - I particularly like the airship skeleton. And I heartily second the 'trawl the charity shops' approach - most of my bits and bobs come from that exact source!

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: