The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 05:31:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Tea Party!  (Read 714 times)
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« on: June 10, 2017, 11:29:22 pm »

I'm putting this in anatomical because I think it falls under the topic of food and drink (yummy, my favorite topic!)

Hello! I know this has been completely done to death but I was considering hosting a steampunk tea party sometime this summer. Who better to give me ideas and advice than the lovely BG community?

I'd be hosting the party at my house, outside in the garden. We have a nice area under a pergola, hidden from the rest of the garden by hedges on two sides. I was thinking making it a high tea so we could a) sit at the outdoor dining table instead of parlor chairs, and b) have it later in the day so the twinkle lights hung on the pergola would be more prominent. Since it's a high tea, I'd be serving heavier foods than just sandwiches and scones (I mean, I'll probably make a bunch of sandwiches and scones and serve them anyway because they're delicious), and I'll figure all of that out later. What I really need help with right now is how to make it steampunk!

While I'm very into steam and have several full outfits, most of my friends do not. Even the ones I started a steampunk writing with don't really have what they would need to put together a full ensemble. I'd like this to be a dress-up/costume party, but I'd feel bad asking people who don't have specifically steampunk clothes to come dressed steampunk, and I especially don't want to pressure anyone to buy an expensive piece just for my party. I was thinking of having a table where I put a bunch of my accessories for people to wear for the night, but I don't know.

Another thing is the setting. There's nothing about it that's inherently steampunk! Even if I pretty it all up, it's still just a fancy garden. I don't have any large props that really scream steam, and since I'm a stereotypical broke college student, I can't run out and get one of those $500 up-cycled industrial pipe and gauge lamps or whatever. I want to make the garden area feel like a mix between heavy, practical industry and light, delicate elegance, but I have no idea how to go about it without spending money I don't have. I know how I would decorate the table (I have a bunch of smaller things that I could use and I want the dishes to be mismatched), but I want it to be more than that. I just don't know how. Any advice, ideas, or inspiration would be very much appreciated!!!

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:47:24 am »

Poor student = painting on fabric. I know it sounds a bit lame, but you could paint cogs on an old sheet and use as a tablecloth? If you could manage something a bit fancier, then paint top hats, goggles, cog etc onto cheap bunting (you know the triangle pieces of fabric on a string kind). Since it is a tea party you could use lots of cutout black clocks with gears and cogs? Paper, cardboard and old sheets (from the thrift shop), some black paint (which would make a good contrast against the prettiness of the vintage cups and saucers) scissors and glue - shouldn't cost the earth. Do a search for Mad Hatter tea party and see what you can find.

Cheers
Rob
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 10:47:22 am »

I'm putting this in anatomical because I think it falls under the topic of food and drink (yummy, my favorite topic!)

Hello! I know this has been completely done to death but I was considering hosting a steampunk tea party sometime this summer. Who better to give me ideas and advice than the lovely BG community?

I'd be hosting the party at my house, outside in the garden. We have a nice area under a pergola, hidden from the rest of the garden by hedges on two sides. I was thinking making it a high tea so we could a) sit at the outdoor dining table instead of parlor chairs, and b) have it later in the day so the twinkle lights hung on the pergola would be more prominent. Since it's a high tea, I'd be serving heavier foods than just sandwiches and scones (I mean, I'll probably make a bunch of sandwiches and scones and serve them anyway because they're delicious), and I'll figure all of that out later. What I really need help with right now is how to make it steampunk!

While I'm very into steam and have several full outfits, most of my friends do not. Even the ones I started a steampunk writing with don't really have what they would need to put together a full ensemble. I'd like this to be a dress-up/costume party, but I'd feel bad asking people who don't have specifically steampunk clothes to come dressed steampunk, and I especially don't want to pressure anyone to buy an expensive piece just for my party. I was thinking of having a table where I put a bunch of my accessories for people to wear for the night, but I don't know.

Another thing is the setting. There's nothing about it that's inherently steampunk! Even if I pretty it all up, it's still just a fancy garden. I don't have any large props that really scream steam, and since I'm a stereotypical broke college student, I can't run out and get one of those $500 up-cycled industrial pipe and gauge lamps or whatever. I want to make the garden area feel like a mix between heavy, practical industry and light, delicate elegance, but I have no idea how to go about it without spending money I don't have. I know how I would decorate the table (I have a bunch of smaller things that I could use and I want the dishes to be mismatched), but I want it to be more than that. I just don't know how. Any advice, ideas, or inspiration would be very much appreciated!!!

One of the customers at the place I work at is a "Professional Tea Party Host and Caterer"  Grin Very Steampunk actually, Mistress Sophie Parrot (her real name) is from the UK and established in Austin one of the oddest businesses I've ever seen. She seems to be successful at it, with wealthy customers organizing themed events around the idea of a tea party.

"The Marvelous Vintage Tea Party, Austin Texas"
http://marveloustea.com

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 02:52:38 pm »

(snip)

I'd be hosting the party at my house, outside in the garden. We have a nice area under a pergola, hidden from the rest of the garden by hedges on two sides. I was thinking making it a high tea so we could a) sit at the outdoor dining table instead of parlor chairs, and b) have it later in the day so the twinkle lights hung on the pergola would be more prominent. Since it's a high tea, I'd be serving heavier foods than just sandwiches and scones (I mean, I'll probably make a bunch of sandwiches and scones and serve them anyway because they're delicious), and I'll figure all of that out later.

(snip)

Sounds lovely!

(snip)

Laying out some accessories for your guests to borrow is a great idea. In terms of the rest of their outfits, it's actually quite easy to put on a mock Victorian look. For your female gusts a long skirt in a suitable fabric and a white or cream blouse or shirt should work, and probably easy enough to source cheaply from charity shops. A little activity for the party could be making up their own Steampunk fascinator - there are plenty of paper-based patterns on the 'net for mini-top hats and tricorns.

For the males, a suit in black, grey, navy or blue, white shirt again with a suitable tie (Christmas novelty/cartoon character would probably break the mood...) and ideally a waistcote (again maybe from a charity shop)? A hat would be brilliant but that may be a bit trickier to source at a sensible price.

(snip)

That is much more diffcult to do on a budget, although the idea of painting up fabrics as suggested by Rob above is a great one. Are you, or anyone in your tea-party group, artists? I'm thinking you could obtain white bedsheets to drape over the hedges and on them paint a suitably steamy backdrop. The other thing to look out for are net curtains (again charity shop), which could be draped over tables and chairs. Could the lights you mentioned be made Steampunk? I'm thinking about making up (from cardboard) and spray-painiting some Victorian-style lamp 'cages' to go over them (at a Christmas fair we went to last year one of the activities for the children was to make up such things illuminated by little button-battery powered tealights).

Yours,
Miranda.
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 07:57:36 pm »

Poor student = painting on fabric. I know it sounds a bit lame, but you could paint cogs on an old sheet and use as a tablecloth? If you could manage something a bit fancier, then paint top hats, goggles, cog etc onto cheap bunting (you know the triangle pieces of fabric on a string kind). Since it is a tea party you could use lots of cutout black clocks with gears and cogs? Paper, cardboard and old sheets (from the thrift shop), some black paint (which would make a good contrast against the prettiness of the vintage cups and saucers) scissors and glue - shouldn't cost the earth. Do a search for Mad Hatter tea party and see what you can find.

Cheers
Rob

That's a really good idea!!! My roommate and I made flags out of her old sheet music to use as decoration in our apartment last year, so maybe I could do something similar with the table! I like the tablecloth idea a lot; I have tons of spray paint left over from old nerf gun mods (lol I'm guilty of being a steampunk stereotype) that I might be able to use. And then maybe I could make place mats? Thank you

One of the customers at the place I work at is a "Professional Tea Party Host and Caterer"  Grin Very Steampunk actually, Mistress Sophie Parrot (her real name) is from the UK and established in Austin one of the oddest businesses I've ever seen. She seems to be successful at it, with wealthy customers organizing themed events around the idea of a tea party.

OH MY STARS, I NEED TO VISIT TEXAS IMMEDIATELY
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 08:01:46 pm »

1:Where ever possible use real china(no paper),  In fact you can have everyone bring their own cup and saucer, plate, etc.  Also use real cloth (napkins and table clothes)  these do no have to match. The idea is to use no paper products. Also real furniture if possible, if not , try to cover plastic furniture with throws.
2:If this is an evening affair, lighting can be your friend. Candles and strings of small Christmas lights (better behind gauzy curtains or in frosted glass containers. (The x-mas lights with curtains, not candles) ) can add a period atmosphere.
3: Period music. Hide speakers in the foliage. Keep volume low. This is to set mood, not to be a source of entertainment.
4: Men can wear solid colored dress shirts  (White preferable. long sleeved better, if it warm they can roll up the sleeves.), dressy pants (no jeans), dress shoes and socks. They then can add hats, suspenders (bracers), ties or ascots, walking sticks, and/or vests.
5: Women are usually better at these things then the men. show the the silhouettes your looking. Explain the styles.
Remember if you set the mood peoples imaginations will fill in a lot.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 10:36:59 pm »

Get one of these:
Tea Serving Doll - Karakuri Ningyo
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 03:49:10 pm »

Place cards could add a touch of Victorian formality and then some Victorian parlour games to break the ice.

Some sort of dressing up box would definitely be a good idea, maybe a local amateur theatre group would have something they'd be prepared to let you borrow - or even come along and do a melodramatic piece for you.
It does sound like fun.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 06:40:53 am »

*snip*
One of the customers at the place I work at is a "Professional Tea Party Host and Caterer"  Grin Very Steampunk actually, Mistress Sophie Parrot (her real name) is from the UK and established in Austin one of the oddest businesses I've ever seen. She seems to be successful at it, with wealthy customers organizing themed events around the idea of a tea party.

OH MY STARS, I NEED TO VISIT TEXAS IMMEDIATELY

Well, perhaps make the excuse to come by next South by Southwest? She's a nice person to talk to. I see her every other month at the shop. Hasn't slowed down in the last 3 years in spite of going through a divorce...
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 12:51:14 pm »

For a steam need a samovar. Though where to take the samovar in America.

Therefore, it seems to me that the copper kettle boiling on the spirit-lamp would be useful. If your friends are not violent, and dangerous.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 07:20:18 pm »

And a gin bar; get everyone to bring a small(ish) bottle and some tonic water and then swap them all around.
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 01:56:55 am »

Goodness, so many replies! I'm very happy to have found such a helpful community  Cheesy

Could the lights you mentioned be made Steampunk? I'm thinking about making up (from cardboard) and spray-painiting some Victorian-style lamp 'cages' to go over them (at a Christmas fair we went to last year one of the activities for the children was to make up such things illuminated by little button-battery powered tealights).

Yours,
Miranda.
I'm sorry I skipped over your comment earlier! I just didn't see it until after I posted (oops!). I like the idea of decorating the lights even further a lot... are you suggesting I use some artificial tea lights like the Christmas fair did (I have a bunch of those in the basement somewhere) or make up little cages to cover the string lights?

1:Where ever possible use real china(no paper),  In fact you can have everyone bring their own cup and saucer, plate, etc.  Also use real cloth (napkins and table clothes)  these do no have to match. The idea is to use no paper products. Also real furniture if possible, if not , try to cover plastic furniture with throws.
2:If this is an evening affair, lighting can be your friend. Candles and strings of small Christmas lights (better behind gauzy curtains or in frosted glass containers. (The x-mas lights with curtains, not candles) ) can add a period atmosphere.
3: Period music. Hide speakers in the foliage. Keep volume low. This is to set mood, not to be a source of entertainment.
4: Men can wear solid colored dress shirts  (White preferable. long sleeved better, if it warm they can roll up the sleeves.), dressy pants (no jeans), dress shoes and socks. They then can add hats, suspenders (bracers), ties or ascots, walking sticks, and/or vests.
5: Women are usually better at these things then the men. show the the silhouettes your looking. Explain the styles.
I would definitly be using real dishes; no paper plates at this tea party! I may ask some friends to bring their own tea cups as you suggested, as I'm not sure I have enough for everyone I'd like to invite. I know many of my friends have tea sets of their own. The table I'd be using is metal and stone, and the chairs are metal with fabric, so I think I'm okay on the furniture front. I may use a fancy tablecloth or coverings like some other people suggested. And yes, yes, yes to the candles; I have loads of them that I think would fit very nicely. As for the dress code (should it be called that? I guess it should), I was thinking about including examples of steampunk-inspired fashion with the invitations.

A samovar is certainly the look I'm going for, but yes, I'd have no idea where to find one! I might have to make the tea inside and then bring it out to serve.

And a gin bar; get everyone to bring a small(ish) bottle and some tonic water and then swap them all around.
That's another thing I'd been meaning to ask about, whether or not I should serve alcohol at the tea. Technically it's not quite legal for me and many of my friends to drink where we live... but there are always ways to get around that Tongue I don't drink personally, but I know many of my friends fancy a glass of something now and again. I know absinthe is the go-to steampunk drink, but to be honest, it sounds disgusting (I still really want to try it!!! just because it looks so cool). I like the idea of a gin bar, but I don't know how many of my friends would be willing or able to bring drinks.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 08:37:27 am »

Oh! I think entourage would be a phonograph. Or other mechanical sound. Or imitation.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 08:12:56 pm »

Goodness, so many replies! I'm very happy to have found such a helpful community  Cheesy

Could the lights you mentioned be made Steampunk? I'm thinking about making up (from cardboard) and spray-painiting some Victorian-style lamp 'cages' to go over them (at a Christmas fair we went to last year one of the activities for the children was to make up such things illuminated by little button-battery powered tealights).

Yours,
Miranda.
I'm sorry I skipped over your comment earlier! I just didn't see it until after I posted (oops!). I like the idea of decorating the lights even further a lot... are you suggesting I use some artificial tea lights like the Christmas fair did (I have a bunch of those in the basement somewhere) or make up little cages to cover the string lights?

1:Where ever possible use real china(no paper),  In fact you can have everyone bring their own cup and saucer, plate, etc.  Also use real cloth (napkins and table clothes)  these do no have to match. The idea is to use no paper products. Also real furniture if possible, if not , try to cover plastic furniture with throws.
4: Men can wear solid colored dress shirts  (White preferable. long sleeved better, if it warm they can roll up the sleeves.), dressy pants (no jeans), dress shoes and socks. They then can add hats, suspenders (bracers), ties or ascots, walking sticks, and/or vests.
I would definitly be using real dishes; no paper plates at this tea party! I may ask some friends to bring their own tea cups as you suggested, as I'm not sure I have enough for everyone I'd like to invite. I know many of my friends have tea sets of their own. The table I'd be using is metal and stone, and the chairs are metal with fabric, so I think I'm okay on the furniture front. I may use a fancy tablecloth or coverings like some other people suggested. And yes, yes, yes to the candles; I have loads of them that I think would fit very nicely. As for the dress code (should it be called that? I guess it should), I was thinking about including examples of steampunk-inspired fashion with the invitations.

A samovar is certainly the look I'm going for, but yes, I'd have no idea where to find one! I might have to make the tea inside and then bring it out to serve.

That's another thing I'd been meaning to ask about, whether or not I should serve alcohol at the tea. Technically it's not quite legal for me and many of my friends to drink where we live... but there are always ways to get around that Tongue I don't drink personally, but I know many of my friends fancy a glass of something now and again. I know absinthe is the go-to steampunk drink, but to be honest, it sounds disgusting (I still really want to try it!!! just because it looks so cool). I like the idea of a gin bar, but I don't know how many of my friends would be willing or able to bring drinks.

It's better not to test the legality of alcohol. I presume you're talking about drinking age limits on your state. The problem with that is that you have to trust that no one in the party will snitch on you. While I know college kids violate that rule regularly, in Texas at least the repercussions from getting caught are severe (I live in Austin, a college town and also the live music capital of the world- meaning we have more bars than you can shake a stick at, many moons ago I used to have an alcohol sellers license as o worked in a supermarket which like most supermarkets today sold wine and beer - but this was the Early 90s, shortly after Blue Laws were phased out in Texas).

The oddity of the State where I live is that it can be simultaneously extremely liberal in the cities and extremely conservative outside the major cities.  For example, you'll see everyone smoking a certain "natural" plant everywhere, yet if you get caught you lose your freedom and possibly property in the drop of a hat. Alcohol violations don't carry the same penalty, but it's still serious offense and the law is swift and hard.
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:17:31 pm »

It's better not to test the legality of alcohol. I presume you're talking about drinking age limits on your state. The problem with that is that you have to trust that no one in the party will snitch on you. While I know college kids violate that rule regularly, in Texas at least the repercussions from getting caught are severe (I live in Austin, a college town and also the live music capital of the world- meaning we have more bars than you can shake a stick at, many moons ago I used to have an alcohol sellers license as o worked in a supermarket which like most supermarkets today sold wine and beer - but this was the Early 90s, shortly after Blue Laws were phased out in Texas).

The oddity of the State where I live is that it can be simultaneously extremely liberal in the cities and extremely conservative outside the major cities.  For example, you'll see everyone smoking a certain "natural" plant everywhere, yet if you get caught you lose your freedom and possibly property in the drop of a hat. Alcohol violations don't carry the same penalty, but it's still serious offense and the law is swift and hard.
Haha, I don't think anyone I'd be inviting would snitch on me! They drink way, way more than I would ever want to. My parents are fairly tolerant of underage drinking as long as everyone stays safe and we have a DD system so no one drives home while intoxicated. I'm not worried about getting in trouble legally, but I am a bit worried that some of my friends might overdo it on the spirits and ruin the elegant feeling I'm going for.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 05:27:54 pm »

Perhaps something like a ginger beer, lemonade or fruit punch would be better then; there are plenty of recipes online for you to choose from and you could always add a little of the hard stuff if you wanted extra oomph, without risking any alcohol-induced indecorous behaviour.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 05:33:10 pm »

Perhaps something like a ginger beer, lemonade or fruit punch would be better then; there are plenty of recipes online for you to choose from and you could always add a little of the hard stuff if you wanted extra oomph, without risking any alcohol-induced indecorous behaviour.

Yes . We don't want to risk any libertinous  behavior, uncouth language   or  lewd gyrating
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 12:33:30 am »

I was stalking the Victorian recipes threads a while back; maybe I could make one of the beverages listed there!

Yes . We don't want to risk any libertinous  behavior, uncouth language   or  lewd gyrating
Knowing my friends, a lack of alcohol won't stop them from gyrating.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 12:42:28 am »

I was stalking the Victorian recipes threads a while back; maybe I could make one of the beverages listed there!

I am totally morally outraged by the  wild uninhibited  behaviours of your young  associates

There was never any of that sort of carry on in our day
 Shocked Angry Shocked Huh Embarrassed  Cry
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 01:19:57 am »

[/quote]

I am totally morally outraged by the  wild uninhibited  behaviours of your young  associates

[/quote]

Oh dear, please forgive my uncouth laugh!
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 07:05:25 pm »

I'm sure there was some sort of uninhibited gyrating back in the days of old... behind closed doors perhaps, but still there  Grin After all, even the strict Victorians had burlesque, "romantic" poems, and mechanical pelvic stimulation devices-- for the treatment of hysteria, of course. But perhaps those aspects of Victorian society are not ones I wish to emulate in my tea party... so I think the decision to limit alcohol consumption is a smart one. Cheesy
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 10:58:26 pm »

Miss Anne P.

I'm being quite driven to an attack of the Vapours  !

I might turn Japanese
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 03:25:44 am »

Miss Anne P.

I'm being quite driven to an attack of the Vapours  !

I might turn Japanese

What a wonderful idea! I'll bring some opium to the party!

Just kidding XD I think I'll stick with tea. But what kind of tea... suggestions, anyone?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 05:23:34 am »

Miss Anne P.

I'm being quite driven to an attack of the Vapours  !

I might turn Japanese

What a wonderful idea! I'll bring some opium to the party!

Just kidding XD I think I'll stick with tea. But what kind of tea... suggestions, anyone?

I think that "Chasing the Dragon" would be even more dangerous from a legal standpoint... Besides, where on Earth does one get Laudanum nowadays? The Chinese dens of debauchery no longer exist. All they want to do now is serve you is plates of Dim Sum and a sorry excuse for tea.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 05:46:22 am »

On a more serious note,  there are the various herbal teas.  Ginger, raspberry, hibiscus, citrus etc  with their different  health benefits  and flavours .  Then you have the different  blends of tea. Irish Breakfast, Dah jeeling,  Kenyan, Earl Grey etc.

Then you have the punches made with a tea base . Check out  Alexis Soyer, a military  chef from the Georgian  era. He had several recipes for alcoholic and non alcoholic  punch, that looked more appealing than it sounds.    There are recent reproductions of his recipe books available .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_Soyer

Consider your friends tea drink habits  and  taste preferences as to whether  they would prefer  traditional tea drinking or a fruity alternative. 

[xtra merit for not pushing alcohol on guests and friends ]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: