The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 25, 2018, 06:32:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perfect Steampunk Car!  (Read 2496 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 10:09:48 pm »

I'm sure I saw one of those, many years ago now, at the RAF museum at Cosford.  Apparently it didn't take too long for people to realise that maybe it wasn't a great idea to build cars with essentially a giant blender on the front and they were banned quite quickly. 

Definitely! You wouldn't need to do pedestrian crash tests if you're going to be slicing them into small pieces... As a Steampunk idea it's great though - you just need to get it away from pedestrians. What about removing the tires and putting it on rails instead? Have it as a personal railcar, maybe running on raised rails above the streets. And then of course at some point you take it off the rails, add wings and a tail and off you fly. Maybe with a small hydrogen bag above to help with lift...

Yours,
Miranda.

It'd make a nice airship gondola.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 10:44:45 pm »

What's interesting about this to me is that the car is obviously derived from early airplanes, but in design is also suggestive of fancy horse drawn carriages, which shows me that early airplane fuselages with their wood frames covered in thin wood may have owed something to those old carriages. I tend to think of there being a vehicle evolution that goes from carriage to motorcar to airplane, but in truth the early era of aviation overlapped with the late era of horse drawn travel.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 01:31:07 am »

Though by the time these vehicles pictured above were made, a full transition to aluminium fuselages was already in progress - at least in paper. But you're right, there was so much overlap between the plane and the car, that the Wright Brothers could not find engines which were powerful enough - and light enough for the aeroplane. They had to design that from scratch too, so the aircraft engine was a parallel line to the automotive engine.

And had people other than the Wrights come up with full 3-axis control, am appropriate engine and propeller, the overlap would get closer to totality. At least I'm banking on that for my story  Wink
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 08:03:52 am »

What's interesting about this to me is that the car is obviously derived from early airplanes, but in design is also suggestive of fancy horse drawn carriages, which shows me that early airplane fuselages with their wood frames covered in thin wood may have owed something to those old carriages. I tend to think of there being a vehicle evolution that goes from carriage to motorcar to airplane, but in truth the early era of aviation overlapped with the late era of horse drawn travel.

I'm not sure precisely which   companies[boffins on here will be able to expand further],   there are   though    a few that went from carriage building , to automobile manufacture  to  aero design.  Rolls Royce may be one.

Early  motorised carriages [cars] were horse carriages with motors  [ again  others can elaborate here]

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 08:09:59 am »

I'm sure I saw one of those, many years ago now, at the RAF museum at Cosford.  Apparently it didn't take too long for people to realise that maybe it wasn't a great idea to build cars with essentially a giant blender on the front and they were banned quite quickly. 

Definitely! You wouldn't need to do pedestrian crash tests if you're going to be slicing them into small pieces... As a Steampunk idea it's great though - you just need to get it away from pedestrians. What about removing the tires and putting it on rails instead? Have it as a personal railcar, maybe running on raised rails above the streets. And then of course at some point you take it off the rails, add wings and a tail and off you fly. Maybe with a small hydrogen bag above to help with lift...

Yours,
Miranda.

Oh there is always some one who has the be the  fun constabulary    Wink  and  safety  guardsman.  If someone puts their arm in one of those things they won't be doing it again in a hurry.  Cry

Yours one handedly,
 Hurricane
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 11:54:23 pm »

All they needed was a mesh grill!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 12:49:45 am »

All they needed was a mesh grill!
That way a pedestrian hit by a car is diced in little cubes  Grin
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 07:10:47 pm »

Potentially useful in an alien invasion though.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 09:49:06 pm »

As long as you don't run out of fuel...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2017, 07:03:21 pm »

Coal fired Land Rover Defender, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wJz3_rNbhA&feature=youtu.be

This made the BBC breakfast news today. The presenters seemed quite nonplussed by it; they clearly had not heard of the steam powered cars from the Edwardian era...

Yours,
Miranda.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 03:36:07 am »

Quote from: Miranda.T link=topic=nd 49112.msg988310#msg988310 date=1513793001

This made the BBC breakfast news today. The presenters seemed quite nonplussed by it; they clearly had not heard of the steam powered cars from the Edwardian era...

Americans might be more familiar with the historic vehicles due to Stanley Motor Carriage's famous Stanley Steamer car, whose name lives on as the brand name of a carpet cleaning service.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2017, 10:51:04 am »

Yours,
Miranda.

People may not have heard of early automobiles, but they'd sure have fun listening to that racket coming to town.  Grin

The Worlds First coal powered Steam Land Rover

And I bet trying to see past all that steam when the wind is blowing in the wrong direction must be fun for the driver

Steam Engine in a Landrover!

Still the Stanley Steamer is far more elegant (and the smokestack/exhaust was placed in the right place - behind the driver)

Full Steam Ahead - 1908 Stanley Model K Steam Car

A White Steamer
1907 White Steamer - Jay Leno's Garage
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:19:20 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
D Judson Purcell
Deck Hand

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2018, 12:11:46 am »

I always like this from 1922; the Zeiner Kleinwagen. Apparently it was a one off.

This photo has clearly been colour enhanced but it still looks awesome. A bit like a dirigible from the front and a boat from the back.

D Judson Purcell, Proprietor and Contraptionist
"I cannot guarantee that it will work, but I can guarantee that it will be late."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 04:12:49 pm »

I always like this from 1922; the Zeiner Kleinwagen. Apparently it was a one off.

This photo has clearly been colour enhanced but it still looks awesome. A bit like a dirigible from the front and a boat from the back.

It is reminiscent of a dirigible

Also of one if those fabulous Banana Splits buggies and Lancelot Link vehicles from back in the day.  Imagine a world where normalcy was seeing such  vehicles lined up. In parking spaces.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 10:19:44 pm »

Also of one if those fabulous Banana Splits buggies and Lancelot Link vehicles from back in the day.  Imagine a world where normalcy was seeing such  vehicles lined up. In parking spaces.

Those are still available. They're called Argos and they're built here in Southwestern Ontario.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 02:24:36 am »

Those are still available. They're called Argos and they're built here in Southwestern Ontario.

I don't drive.   Though I do wonder if such  vehicles would be more  practical than the large  4 x4 driven around the suburbs.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 10:29:47 am »

Argos and the like are usually licenced as recreational vehicles only - unfortunately fibreglas shells don't meet modern crash safety standards. Although they might sneak in as being a mobility scooter or similar special category.

However, if I ever find my physical mobility impaired, I'm going to try for something more like this...
https://youtu.be/Qnrcr-rOcuw

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 07:19:58 am »

Argos and the like are usually licenced as recreational vehicles only - unfortunately fibreglas shells don't meet modern crash safety standards. Although they might sneak in as being a mobility scooter or similar special category.

However, if I ever find my physical mobility impaired, I'm going to try for something more like this...
https://youtu.be/Qnrcr-rOcuw

I did wonder about the  legality of road use for the  buggies

That mobility  vehicle looks   excellent for purpose.   Scooter users regularly  attempt to traverse the terrain  in  the local neighbourhood. Broken curbs, cars parked haphazardly over foot paths, berms and drive ways, wheelie bins,  beg oaken glass.  That  beast would sort the matter out, shift a few small cars  shovel meanderers out the way
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2018, 02:57:26 pm »

(snip)

These also work on the moon... http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/cguide/uc11.html
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2018, 06:09:14 pm »

Television   at its zenith.  Martin Landau wouldn't let us down.  If he's using those buggies on the moon, they must be good.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 09:47:47 pm »

Don't laugh. Argo have a Space & Robotics division, and they're currently working with the Canadian Space Agency to develop a lunar rover.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 10:52:14 pm »

Don't laugh. Argo have a Space & Robotics division, and they're currently working with the Canadian Space Agency to develop a lunar rover.

Life imitates art  Cheesy. Just so long as they don't start dumping nuclear waste up there...

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. I liked the lunar 'hopper' from UFO https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/168322104803398088/?lp=true
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:57:45 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 03:46:19 pm »

Some variations of the design were created for GI Joe:

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2018, 11:04:23 am »

GI Joe  - steampunk  ?? Hmm
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2018, 11:56:37 pm »

GI Joe  - steampunk  ?? Hmm

No, but the 1/6 scale figure is good for highly-detailed miniature clothing and gear.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: