The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2018, 09:23:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you find/get into Steampunk?  (Read 2991 times)
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 10:35:34 am »

You want a short answer, or would you rather settle into an armchair and sip absinthe for a while?  Grin I suppose I could dot point it.
My parents took me to the local drive-in theatre some time just after Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" came out. At that age (under 10) I was thrilled, and also terrified by the squid. I have it on DVD now and still revisit it, mainly for Nemo and his boat.
Aged about 10 (i.e about 1960) wheedled a Classics comic from parents every week or two. Shakespeare, Mark Twain, anything, but my favourites were "War of the Worlds", "Robur the Conqueror", "First Men on the Moon", "From the Earth to the Moon" and "20000 Leagues Under the Sea", not to mention "Alice in Wonderland", "The Red Badge of Courage" and "The Downfall". (I see a relevant thread elsewhere, http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49455.0.html )
By early teens I had read the full "War of the Worlds" and a few others, as well as, in passing, a lot of Biggles. I began heading into science fiction and horror, notably H.P. Lovecraft and his school of confederates.
I stayed with horror and sci-fi, but in general led a sensible life, working, having a family, divorcing a couple of times, wearing occasional uniforms seriously, that sort of thing. I have learned that there is an alternative to sensible, though.
Now happily retired and finding my money goes further than it did when I was working, I've reviewed my habits and asked, why the blazes not? I started buying clothes I liked, for one thing. Initially, they had to be things I could wear without getting my sanity questioned, but I found myself liking things like waistcoats and fob watches with indecently exposed gears. I had heard of steampunk but, really, since I no longer have a car, couldn't chase around to any gatherings, if there were any, or explore shops several towns away.
I found a local steampunk shop, heaven help me, because I found a lot of things I wanted to buy. I found the first hat that ever fitted me perfectly, a top hat. Clearly, an omen.
I still had a mild dose of sensible. I bought clothes I could wear on most occasions, but, with a simple tweak - or by mixing several together - I had all kinds of steampunk possibilities. All it took was a top hat or a pith helmet, odd neckwear, a few feathers in a hatband, a fancy belt, and it stopped being ordinary. It's not just the clothes. The art appeals to me, and there's some good music out there too.
Now I just have to find a coven of steampunkers.
Okay, someone asked... now you know! Cheesy
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 10:20:18 pm »

I've appreciated steampunk literature since before it was called steampunk. Verne, H.G. Wells, etc. It always seemed to be different than regular sci-fi, which I also loved, but something about Victorian themes just grabbed me. In the 70's there was mini-series on TV, I can't believe some of the things that got past the censors on this one, called "Frankenstein, the True Story". It enthralled and horrified me all at once. It gave me both nightmares and fantastic dreams. It the first depiction of Victorian society that I understood was "Victorian Society".

Over the years, I've been just about every kind of punk there is, except for Nazi punk. I came to Brass Goggles in 2010 by way of the "Pyracy Pub", which no longer exists as a web site. They had a small section dedicated to "airship pirates" and steampunk and it brought me here.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: