The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 10:20:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you find/get into Steampunk?  (Read 575 times)
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« on: June 04, 2017, 02:16:56 pm »

I was just wondering how everyone got into Steampunk?

My own journey was via a wunderkammer. I wanted to make one - the cabinet and all the wonders inside - so I took early retirement and went back to uni to do a Fine Arts degree. (I know, right? A little cracked in the head, but my significant other is a very supportive chap, bless him.) Long story short, I started using my botanical illustration skills to paint weird little creatures and odd plant life. These illustrations will go into the set of flat little drawers (with eyes in the drawer knobs) that will be included in the cabinet.

I then decided I needed some 3D weird creatures to stand alongside the small collection of scientific gizmos that will also reside in the cabinet. What would be stranger than some odd little insects. And so the Google brought up Steampunk insects in a search. Steampunk, STEAMPUNK! That was it! The perfect combination of odd creatures and scientific gizmos!

What a relieved revelation to realise there are "others" out there.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:18:21 pm »

I was aware of, and appreciated, Steampunk as a genre and anesthetic before I discovered it was something you could actually do. For several years we had been attending an annual Victorian event over in Wales, through which I found I rather enjoyed the Victorian style but noted how terribly difficult it is to get things properly, historically accurate. Anyway, whilst trawling the internet for other such events I stumbled across BrassGoggles and thought - that's it! A place to combine a love of history, science fiction, mad ideas and dressing up without the inconvenience of having to be period correct. Damn fine company here, too.

Yours,
Miranda.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:58:07 pm »

I came in to ask for directions, about oooh, ten years ago (BLOODY HELL!  Shocked) and then they've never let me leave.

Sometimes I wonder what the wife thinks happened to me. And if she's still got the engine running...

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 10:11:43 pm »

I came in to ask for directions, about oooh, ten years ago (BLOODY HELL!  Shocked) and then they've never let me leave.

Sometimes I wonder what the wife thinks happened to me. And if she's still got the engine running...

By the way, I need to check your shackles, Mr. Steamfish.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:13:18 pm »

Back in the day I read a great deal of science fiction and my favourite sub-genre was always Alternate History. In the '70s a few new writers began creating gonzo-historical stories and one of them jokingly called his work "steampunk" to differentiate it from the more high tech cyberpunk stories also popular at the time.

Fast forward forty years. I am recovering from spinal cord surgery and decide (in my drug-addled state) to look up the specifics about Edgar Rice Burrough's Barsoomian Radium Rifles. This lead me to some of Herr Doktor's creations and onward to finding a community of folk who dress as if they were in a Victorian / Edwardian Adventure Story! Being a tweedy sort myself I turned my normal wardrobe up to 11, added a pair of goggles, and slotted myself right into the group.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 05:34:14 am »

Scott Westerfeld, Castle, and Panic! At The Disco

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:22:41 am »

It would have been- what?- eleven or twelve years ago, that I first came across the name.  I can't remember how exactly I found it.  But it described exactly what I'd been interested in for about ten years previous to that (since boyhood).  So I guess you could say I'd been a steampunk for years without knowing it, or at least a closet one.  I didn't so much get into steampunk as just let the nascent pre-existing neo-Vicwardian side of my nature come out. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:17:04 pm »

I wandered into it backwards after seeing it at Dragon Con for a few years, and thinking ' Hey, that looks like fun!' I was right....

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 04:32:47 pm »

As a child I was fascinated with early radio and telegraph equipment, antique machines, vintage cars, Jules Verne and HG Welles movies, and a Rowland Emett kinetic sculpture in a museum in Chicago. It was the '70's and the word steampunk hadn't been coined yet.

I read "BASIC Programming with Sherlock Holmes" when it was first released and loved the idea of the classic characters having adventures with technology that was only theory back then. I loved photos of old worlds' fairs and illustrations of past predictions of futures that never game to fruition. In a high school art class, circa '85, I built a model of an odd flying machine; a faceted passenger capsule surrounded by a ring with fan blades, all spray painted gold. Around that time I saw an old children's book in an antique shop, "Life in 100 years", if I remember the title correctly, from circa 1920, which had illustrations of children wearing flight suits with wings, and a bit of dialog where the children's mother tells them that she will radio them when dinner is ready. I have never seen a copy of this book since, and have been kicking myself for not buying it.

Circa '89, I had a conversation with my brother about the idea of retro-futurism; about an idea I had for a role playing game based on 19th and early 20th century futurism. He told me about a game called "Space 1889". I looked at a copy of the game's sourcebook at a hobby shop, but did not find it compelling enough to buy it and play it; the pseudoscience of the game did not appeal to me. I really wish that I had done something with my own game idea because anything along those lines that could have been published at that time would have been considered innovative and it might have made me some sort of steampunk pioneer.

Move forward to about 2010: the Detroit area had its first steampunk event that I was ever aware of. I attended. It was interesting. I was mot much interested in costuming or acting out a character, but I was glad to know that the genre had a significant following.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:34:32 pm by RJBowman » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 07:08:52 pm »

I've always read science fiction and liked alternative world fiction; didn't realise that dressing up was possible until my husband suggested going to Whitby Goth Weekend with a trans group (s)he's a member of.  A bit of research and attire sewing later and off we went.  I was always disappointed that I had to stop playing 'dressing up' when I grew up and now low and behold I don't!  It's such fun but the clothes are now taking over the house ...... (not that that's going to stop me).

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Kleven
Swab

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 11:41:39 am »

I was into old architecture and came up with a reason to build an entire old city, and that reason I found out was steampunk.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 01:16:46 pm »

I went to a festival, Elfia. Here i came in touch with steampunk, and soon found myself interested. I wanted to make a pretty costume like the steampunks i saw had. At the time i knew little about the lore...but as i ventured the internet i learned more and more...and got more and more interested.
And now I'm here.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 02:03:42 pm »

Through Steampunk literature first, by way of precursors like Verne, Wells and Moorcock during the 1970's, and then the books of Jeter, Powers and Blaylock in the 1980's.

Also comics and graphic novels by people such as Bryan Talbot, Ian Edginton and Alan Moore.

I became interested in the Victorian aesthetic during the 1990's due to membership of various vampire related groups and organisations which is where I first started wearing Victorian influenced clothing. I wasn't, however, a Goth as my interests were in vampire literature and films but not any lifestyle. I was, and always have been a Punk at heart. By that I mean an 'old school' 70's Punk.

I became physically involved with Steampunk when I attended the first annual gathering at The Asylum in Lincoln in 2009. I will be attending the 9th this year. And I haven't missed one yet.

I've attempted the 'maker' side of things although I lack the skills for anything but rudimentary mods. But I appreciate and admire those who have those skills and believe they should be supported and encouraged.

It's really the satirical and social side of Steampunk that keeps me interested. Not to get too political but I lean to the left and enjoy poking fun at Imperialism and so-called 'victorian values'. I gravitate to the underdog, the outsider, the anarchist....'The Other'.

And then there's 'The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing' but that's a whole other thing......  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:24 am »

I pretty much had the clothes  from http://www.sassnet.net/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOvswfcJk8s 

-Karl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: