The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 02:00:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Piracy on the Great Lakes  (Read 247 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: May 30, 2017, 05:51:40 am »

Interesting article:

http://www.michigan.org/blog/events/holiday/three-michigan-marauders-who-ruled-the-great-lakes

Piracy on the seas was largely gone by the steam era, but on the American inland waters, a few pirates operated in the 19th century. If you've never seen the Great Lakes, they are really more like freshwater inland seas, with hundreds of miles of water and crashing waves. The trade on the lakes in those days was mostly lumber, furs, and consumables; no chests of gold to speak of.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:35:48 pm »

Aaaargh! Shiver me timbers! Thar be freshwater scallywags!

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 10:25:47 pm »

It looks like the section about John Rackham was included on the page by accident when someone cut and pasted the article from another source, since he doesn't seem to have ever sailed on the great lakes.

When I first heard about Lake Michigan pirates, the first thing that I thought of was the small "foolkiller" submarine that was found in the mud of the Chicago River in the early 20th century. Imagine a would-be Captain Nemo, sneaking up on Great Lakes cargo ships from underneath.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: