The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:43:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tea sets  (Read 463 times)
emc
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 29, 2017, 10:08:53 pm »

I am looking for a steampunk tea set. There are some amassing ones on google images but i am having a hard time finding a similar stranded to buy. Dose anyone know where i can get some, or anyone who i could commission to make me a set?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:12:08 pm »

It would depend on what style you are after (china, pewter / silver, riveted boiler plate etc) and whether or not you want it to be functional or purely decorative...
Also what price band are you looking at, I know that some of these sets have some hefty price tags attached! 

You may be better going the DIY route, browse through the local charity shops and you can usually discover some incomplete tea sets (90% are missing the tea pot and usually the milk jug for some reason) for reasonable cost, and usually you can find abundant sets of 'orphaned' cups and saucers for very cheap prices. Some of these will actually be genuine antiques, but most will date from the 60's and earlier (so still "vintage") and still be copies of earlier Victorian / Edwardian styles. I have found several incomplete tea sets in the local charity shops, and non have cost me more than about £8 - one set I even use nearly everyday for my daily cuppa.  Grin

You can easily find a silver plated tea service that is often "over polished", ie they rubbed too much and wore the silver down to the base metal. These are extremely cheap to purchase and due to the interior silver coating remaining intact, can also be used if desired (silver is also antibacterial).

For about £20 you can find a silver plate "4 Piece Tea Set Service" (Teapot, Coffee pot, Sugar & Milk or Cream Jug) which will be in worn but 'acceptable' condition. heavily worn items are usually between £5 and £10. Perfect condition can go as high as £50 to £70 depending on condition. So it pays to shop around, you could pick up a real bargain.

Also, don't be afraid to "mix and match" the various items of the tea set, just have a go and see what works for you.  Smiley

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 03:29:53 am »

After reading this post I did a search for Steampunk tea sets and was a bit confused by what came up. The images ranged from hand-made pottery type ones with pottery cogs incorporated into the pottery to metal ones that obviously would never hold tea. Personally I feel a Steampunk tea set is exactly the same as a nice china tea set. I would look for trios and match it up with other antique finds.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:43:08 am »

Sounds like you know what you want. Go for it!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
42Bloodbath
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:51:29 am »

Try here click on the store link at the bottom of the photo.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=3eHi35iF&id=54DC3BE0AEFFCEB775774D782C4021BBF698E54E&thid=OIP.3eHi35iFjgprHUKpdA2baQEsDg&q=steampunk+tea+set&simid=607988798781918760&selectedIndex=23&qpvt=steampunk+tea+set&ajaxhist=0

Bloodbath
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:54:26 am by 42Bloodbath » Logged

The Butcher of New Liberty
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: