The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:05:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Punk really part of Steampunk?  (Read 1381 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »

Does anyone want to comment on the "steampunk is just goths wearing brown" thing?
Well I still wear black in the evenings, or cream and beige in summer if that helps hehe. Yeah the whole Goths in brown thing is kinda annoying. They exist, but can I wear colours? tended to be a fairly common question from newcomers, proving the perception of a brown 'n' brass uniform was a real thing. There were a number of Goths that jumped all over Steampunk a few years back. I'd list Abney Park as an example. That also led to objections from other quarters, who clearly failed to understand what possible attraction SP could have to those (in their eyes) miserable, insular black haired types. I guess the Neo Victorian aspects of Goth passed them by (in fairness the Cyber/Rivet trends had become rather dominant). Still mix Cyber/Rivet with Neo Victoriana and what do you have? The first person to say "Dreadpunk" receives -10 cred damage.

*stifles himself*

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2017, 11:11:01 pm »

Lol, no no don't hold back! I merely object to the term Dreadpunk, because (for those that don't know) some folks have attempted to attach it to a genre we simply know as Gothic Horror. I believe it initially sprang up around the time of the tv series Penny Dreadful, and some people are still using it. To my mind It just comes across as a rather disrespectful form of re branding, and a pointless attempt to add yet another trendy Retropunk to an already over crowded stable.

Speaking of mixing Cyber/Rivet with Neo Victoriana, look up those classic early pictures of Mr Kit Stolen, aka The Anachronaut. His style back then was some of the first Steampunk attire to grace the interwebs, and not a stitch of brown in sight!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:17:01 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 12:55:31 am »

To be honest, in addition I was actually thinking "Dreadpunk" sounds like a Rastafarian offshoot of Dieselpunk/Steampunk... Cheesy
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 06:12:56 am »

To be honest, in addition I was actually thinking "Dreadpunk" sounds like a Rastafarian offshoot of Dieselpunk/Steampunk... Cheesy

You mean like this? "Dreadpunk"  Grin

The Matrix Reloaded - The Twins Are Aggravated...

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2017, 07:39:59 am »

Eureka!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2017, 10:49:55 am »

Eureka!

For additional hilarity, as an example of Dreadpunk, I was going to include John Travolta's portrayal of an alien race, in what possibly could be the worst movie of all time, "Battlefield Earth" (2000). But I was so put off by any images, animated gifs and any other material on my search that I decided not to do it.

I just don't know why anyone would want to look like that, even as a joke  Tongue
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2017, 05:55:07 am »

My Dear J
we think along the same lines....

dreadpunk =

steamy dreadlocks?
dreadlocks + fedora?

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2017, 11:54:32 am »

The biggest difference between Goth and Steampunk is that Steampunks can smile without breaking character.

Sadly, I cannot take credit for that line.
Having been both, I can safely say I've never been in character other than myself & I've always been a smiler.  Seems like an outsider's opinion of both scenes to me.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: