The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 20, 2018, 02:02:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Dying?  (Read 2332 times)
BonkPrismine
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2017, 01:26:04 am »

It isn't really dying, but I do have less Steampunk friends that I used to..sadly.
madamemarigold
Gunner

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2017, 08:56:42 pm »

[quote author=J. Wilhelm .......
Quite honestly, if you closed this forum, I would simply start a new forum or I'd start a blog! There is no way I'm going to expose myself as a Steampunk, more importantly as a gender non-binary person coming out among the Steampunk, as well as an amateur historian, an aerospace engineer, and all of those things, to the often ignorant and hateful cacophony of voices in FB, and if I set my FB page and profile to private then only the people I know will ever talk to me, which makes the whole endeavour pointless.
[/quote] 
Agree with you 100%. If this horrific catastrophe you bring up comes to pass? Please notify, I would definitely want to follow to your new forum/blog. This is THE ONLY steam-punk place I have found so far to always keep coming back to! I know I have not posted as much as I have wished but trying to rectify that.  Grin
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2017, 09:37:37 pm »

Agree with you 100%. If this horrific catastrophe you bring up comes to pass? Please notify, I would definitely want to follow to your new forum/blog. This is THE ONLY steam-punk place I have found so far to always keep coming back to! I know I have not posted as much as I have wished but trying to rectify that.  Grin

There's a number of free venues we could pick from. I don't mind advertising, to be perfectly honest. The other forums I was involved in, TexasSteampunks (nee Seaholm  Steam and Diesel) and Steampunk Mexico were both free forums.

Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2017, 12:58:56 pm »

Dying?

Certainly not as popular. I joined this forum at its peak. There where so many posts I couldn't keep up.

But it turned out that the thing about steampunk that really interested me, the idea of a back to basics yet still industrial and creative culture, turned out not to be true for the community in general. In a world like ours not being able to talk about politics meant that pretty soon I had nothing to talk about. Not being able to talk about building real weapons meant I had no where to share my builds. The general air of political correctness meant I really couldn't talk about anything I actually cared about.

Its been said before but I think its very true that steampunk seems to contain very little steam or actual punk.

In addition, it seemed that for awhile every new fantasy sci/fi book was steampunk and most of them where really bad so I lost interest in the fiction side of things as I couldn't sort the gold from the brass.

A given the ongoing economic collapse (at least for people of my social economic status) its hard to invest anything in something just to make it look cool. I still feel the future will resemble 1800's fiction more than  2200's fiction but mostly I'm just invested in prepping these days. Storing up as much food as possible on cheap shelving rather figuring out how to make the storeroom look like something from a video game (even though it would be so freaking cool to set up that way)

But dying? No..its just several years past its peak trendiness. Nothing ever dies. At some point there will be a really good movie or book or game or something and the whole thing will get revitalized for a while.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2017, 07:13:34 pm »

Dying?

Certainly not as popular. I joined this forum at its peak. There where so many posts I couldn't keep up.

But it turned out that the thing about steampunk that really interested me, the idea of a back to basics yet still industrial and creative culture, turned out not to be true for the community in general. In a world like ours not being able to talk about politics meant that pretty soon I had nothing to talk about. Not being able to talk about building real weapons meant I had no where to share my builds. The general air of political correctness meant I really couldn't talk about anything I actually cared about.

Its been said before but I think its very true that steampunk seems to contain very little steam or actual punk.

In addition, it seemed that for awhile every new fantasy sci/fi book was steampunk and most of them where really bad so I lost interest in the fiction side of things as I couldn't sort the gold from the brass.

A given the ongoing economic collapse (at least for people of my social economic status) its hard to invest anything in something just to make it look cool. I still feel the future will resemble 1800's fiction more than  2200's fiction but mostly I'm just invested in prepping these days. Storing up as much food as possible on cheap shelving rather figuring out how to make the storeroom look like something from a video game (even though it would be so freaking cool to set up that way)

But dying? No..its just several years past its peak trendiness. Nothing ever dies. At some point there will be a really good movie or book or game or something and the whole thing will get revitalized for a while.

Merry Christmas, Tower  Wink Grin
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2017, 02:30:14 am »

Merry Christams Tower - good to hear from you!

I share many of your same laments....

at least my knife, axe, and firearm projects that are based on pre-1898 "stuff" are tolerated here ....

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2018, 12:52:38 pm »

Merry Christmas, Tower

Happy new year from the Tower:

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2018, 09:05:32 am »

Happy New Year My Good Tower, and Everyone!

the towers are looking good!

BTW I have read about using concrete-soaked cloth (such as burlap) ie burlap-crete - for walls or fences, like stucco. have you ever tried that?

yhs
prof marvel 
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2018, 10:32:36 am »

BTW I have read about using concrete-soaked cloth (such as burlap) ie burlap-crete - for walls or fences, like stucco. have you ever tried that?

No, I've never heard of that before, but it sounds interesting.
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 01:04:20 am »

I have seen plant planters made out of burlap dipped in concrete. Also a 'statue' which was dipped burlap wrapped around a wire frame.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2018, 01:44:42 am »

yhs
prof marvel 

As a means of making semi-temporary housing perhaps?
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2018, 09:49:44 am »

I have seen plant planters made out of burlap dipped in concrete. Also a 'statue' which was dipped burlap wrapped around a wire frame.

yes indeed - i saw several DIY entries on that

yhs
prof marvel  

As a means of making semi-temporary housing perhaps?

I first read about it as an expensive commercial product being sold to contractors & military for fast but durable buildings - set it up and soak with water!

Burlap-crete is said to be suitable for permanent use!
One DIY home builder first built a framework, then hung burlap-dipped in concrete on the framework.
After drying they added more concrete as tho it were stucco, and then applied some sort of finish coat

Another draped stucco-soaked burlap over rammed-earth walls for house walls and garden walls.
I myself would rather trust posts-and-beam for support, but rammed earth and burlap create should be a strong and durable infill wall.

Another stretched heavy canvas thickly soaked and coated with concrete to make roofing that was strong enough to walk on without plywood decking!

I am planning on doing a cellar floor ( aka "rat slab") and "fake adobe walls" with concrete soaked bedsheets from the thrift store.

If the fake adobe walls work I will use it on another outbuilding I want to put up ( county permit will read "garage" - but it will be shop/artspace/ guest sleeping )

- I have opened a new thread with links I found so far:  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49492.0.html

And since concrete was original developed by the romans, using volcanic ash and lime, it is very steamy.

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:23:22 am by Prof Marvel » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: