The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:46:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Dying?  (Read 1766 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 02:20:08 pm »

(snip)

But I can see little evidence of it actually dying. Not in the UK anyway.

I completely concur - we were at a brand new event at Stourport last weekend which was really well attended and for most of the day was 'buzzing'. So, I would say the evidence is Steampunk is alive and well in the UK at least.

Yours,
Miranda.
SkyCityMint
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 10:36:26 pm »

It does seem there are not that many forums, but having attended many comic conventions, there is no lack of steampunk storm troopers and the like. Even if not fully steampunk themed, there seem to be steampunk type characters in all kinds of video games, movies, books, and everything else if you are looking. Take a look at this guy in Harry Potter and tell me he was not inspired by steampunk.

Steampunk has integrated into society. Not that I think it needs it, but something big, like a steampunk film or something would put the spot light back on it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:00:07 am by SkyCityMint » Logged
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 10:50:40 am »

I've been around here for almost 7 years (trying not to realise how old that makes me).

The community has changed massively in the last couple of years. New blood keeps us fresh and there just hasn't been very much. As with any culture/subculture, it ebbs and flows. Finding an online following of anything can be difficult sometimes, and I think in terms of forums, it's because people have largely migrated over to the British Steampunk Community facebook pages and similar. Whilst this isn't an issue, it's not quite the same charm and freedom as good old BGF.

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 01:47:50 am »

I've been around here for almost 7 years (trying not to realise how old that makes me).

The community has changed massively in the last couple of years. New blood keeps us fresh and there just hasn't been very much. As with any culture/subculture, it ebbs and flows.

I find it awesome ( in the old sense) that the webisphere allows so much visibility and contact into so many things and with so many wonderful folks. WhenI was in High School, if it wasn't happening in the school or or local community, nobody knew anything about it. When I was in College, if it wasn't on the Bulletin Boards, in handouts, or pasted the town fences and telephone poles, it didn't exist.  Or word of mouth, but only if you wre a social creature.

Since that time, I too have noticed "ebb and flow" .... and whilst there are always eddy currents, it seems to have a 1 year and a 4 year tidal cycle which often corresponds to .... school years, freshman classes & graduating classes!

most recently I have been following a few online comics, and noticed several stopped in midstream - the authors graduated and suddenly have jobs and entirely new lives!

yhs
prof marvel ( the grey, turning to white)

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
ValancyJane
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 07:41:51 pm »

Short story:  I got into steampunk way back in 1999-2000.  While it seemed there were large local groups in the nearby cities--I was in a small town and newly married with kids.  I mostly limited my "steampunk social time" to going to the World Steam Expo in Dearborn, MI once a year.  After it ended, I still occasionally made things and read and such, but it became largely a background hobby.

Last year, our local downtown businesses started hosting themed First Friday events and for some reason, the February event was steampunk themed.  I was excited and shared with local groups on facebook, hopeful maybe I could draw some of the old crowd down to visit me. And while I did get to see a few of my old friends, I made a whole bunch of new friends who were all local.  We decided to form our own group: The Monroe Steam Salon.  In the past year, we've done a ton of fun things:  some invasions, a picnic during fair week, Motor City Steam Con, and hosting tea dueling at the second steampunk First Friday, and starting our own airship, The Libby Custer.  And we have some great plans coming up:  a second picnic, Motor City Steam Con, our local comic con, and maybe even marching the the local parade.

And I think that maybe why steampunk can seem like its "dying" online, when the truth is its just become more localized.  Thanks to things like facebook, its easier to for local groups to organize, though they may not reach a larger audience.  There are a few active groups now in Michigan and between all of them, there are more events going on than its possible for me to attend.

"Steampunk makes me feel like we can rewind the future, take tech in new directions, and wear better clothes." Scott Westerfeld via Twitter.
"Steampunk is...a fish...with a cog on its head"
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 01:51:28 am »

Interesting, I've been trying to trace the history of how Steampunk as subculture developed. The earliest signs I can seem to find date around 2006, when Steampunks and their creations seemed to be making appearences at Burning Man, Maker Fayre, various Ren Fairs and even Whitby Gothic Weekend here in the UK. I believe some works appeared on the net shortly prior to or around that time, but sadly records are scarce. 1999-2000 is the earliest I've heard anyone allude to there being large groups in existence anywhere. I'd love to hear more about that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:00:16 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 06:30:50 am »

Interesting, I've been trying to trace the history of how Steampunk as subculture developed. The earliest signs I can seem to find date around 2006, when Steampunks and their creations seemed to be making appearences at Burning Man, Maker Fayre, various Ren Fairs and even Whitby Gothic Weekend here in the UK. I believe some works appeared on the net shortly prior to or around that time, but sadly records are scarce. 1999-2000 is the earliest I've heard anyone allude to there being large groups in existence anywhere. I'd love to hear more about that.

As a worldwide movement, yes, I'd say steampunk began either in the late 1990s or the early 2000s; but as a growing plot tendency in literature and such? I'd have to say it started with the fledgling post-apocalyptic fiction works of people like Moorcock and others 'way back in the 70s, and even before then. The internet made it possible for the movement to proliferate, but the roots of the genre itself stretch back several decades before the internet came to be in any publicly-coherent form Now, bear in mind that I'm not saying they called it "steampunk" back then, but that's where much of the standard plots and characterizations (including the tortured/tormented antihero main characters and antivillains, not to mention the hardware, especially the airship thing and such) started - unless you want to go even farther back and talk about Verne and other 19th-century authors....

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 07:11:36 am »

It had to be prior to 2006!  I came into thos forum in 2009! To be brutally honest, I don't even remember how I landed at Brassgoggles  Cheesy It's been too long  Grin Not only that, but the forum was well hidden behind the blog. You had to stumble into it.  "Ah! Look! There's a forum in here!!  Grin I think it may have been when I first started building stuff and trying to show it.

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 09:26:08 pm »

I'm aware there were literary works before that Mr Bailey. I'm really talking specifically about when groups of individuals first appeared identifying themselves as Steampunks. I'd consider that moment the true germination of the subculture. I haven't found any evidence of it prior to 2006. If there were "large groups" around much before then, it appears they kept any trace of themselves well hidden. Hence my curiosity.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 04:35:37 am »

I wish I could tell you when that happened, but the starting point is as nebulous as a Sky Kraken's nest.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 09:09:14 am »

Upon rereading the post that used to be here, I realized I said some things that might be construed as ranty, insensitive and callous, so I deleted it. I beg pardon if I have offended anyone.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:42:49 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2017, 09:17:51 pm »

Upon rereading the post that used to be here, I realized I said some things that might be construed as ranty, insensitive and callous, so I deleted it. I beg pardon if I have offended anyone.

couldn't have been as bad as my "young whippersnappers" rant :-(

yhs
prof mumbles
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 12:23:59 am »

Well, I used Manchester in an example. Not the best or most respectful (or sensitive) way to make a point.
ValancyJane
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2017, 03:46:48 pm »

I'm aware there were literary works before that Mr Bailey. I'm really talking specifically about when groups of individuals first appeared identifying themselves as Steampunks. I'd consider that moment the true germination of the subculture. I haven't found any evidence of it prior to 2006. If there were "large groups" around much before then, it appears they kept any trace of themselves well hidden. Hence my curiosity.

Oh I should clarify.  I got into the literary genre first.  I didn't attend any events until like 2009.  I can't really remember any groups before 2006 either.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 10:32:10 am »

Oh I should clarify.  I got into the literary genre first.  I didn't attend any events until like 2009.  I can't really remember any groups before 2006 either.

It wasn't until I discovered Steampunk in a physical way (costumes, props etc) that I realised that I'd been reading it for decades - but I'd just called it science fiction/alternate history.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 09:49:30 am »

Thank you, as you may have picked up on I was slightly sceptical. I understand Mr Bailey's reasoning. I even personally know someone who was building what we would now call Steampunk designs for his degree back in the '80s, but he had no clue about that at the time. I'm a pictures or it didn't happen kind of a guy, and I still feel it's an exaggeration to claim the subculture is 17+ years old. Still as always I'm open to being proved wrong.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »

Thank you, as you may have picked up on I was slightly sceptical. I understand Mr Bailey's reasoning. I even personally know someone who was building what we would now call Steampunk designs for his degree back in the '80s, but he had no clue about that at the time. I'm a pictures or it didn't happen kind of a guy, and I still feel it's an exaggeration to claim the subculture is 17+ years old. Still as always I'm open to being proved wrong.

Whoa, does that mean we're all still technically teenagers? WOO HOO! (sorry, couldn't resist)
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2017, 11:32:34 am »

Just to weigh in with my 2p worth .......

I think that the vibrancy and closeness of the BG community has somewhat lessened over the past few years and I feel Lady Ava is partially correct that the other forms or social media have proved a bigger draw for some (apparently their coal is a better quality  Wink ).
Maybe the use of forums in general, is on the decline and and its not just us here on BG.

I agree with Rockula that, as a regular attendee of Asylum (I live in Lincoln), I have seen the event grow past all imaginings of the early days where the Major would ask those of us that could be bothered to attend the feedback sessions. And that applies to the whole UK.

Unlike Rockula however, I do sometimes miss the pureness of the earlier events as I do feel (wrongly or rightly) that steampunk has become so broad and all encompassing that it has become diluted. Its popularity may become its downfall.

I do not doubt that the inclusivity of steampunk is a huge strength though, so I'm a little torn on this issue.

For myself personally, I do find my own interest waxes and wanes, much like I suspect may others does. But I'm still here and still a steampunk. Huzzah !

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 07:22:02 pm »

I think that the vibrancy and closeness of the BG community has somewhat lessened over the past few years and I feel Lady Ava is partially correct that the other forms or social media have proved a bigger draw for some (apparently their coal is a better quality  Wink ).
Maybe the use of forums in general, is on the decline and and its not just us here on BG.

I was doing some googling yesterday and I find this point to be true.  If you search for "steampunk forum" you will find BG and few other things.  Those other things haven't had an active post since 2013-2016 or so.  BG is probably the last active forum for Steampunk on Earth.  And let's admit that it's not entirely active.

Contrast that to Facebook, the Steampunk Tendencies group gets 1000+ new members added quite regularly.  Other SP groups I'm involved in for my region, are pretty inactive, getting posts every couple of months.

Steampunk isn't dead.  But pretty much every other hobby I've got has a livelier internet activity level.

I think what's left are the long term die hards and new-comers who were late getting active in it.  Other people have moved on to new passions.  that's actually quite normal.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 08:12:06 pm »

BG is probably the last active forum for Steampunk on Earth. 

Contrast that to Facebook, the Steampunk Tendencies group gets 1000+ new members added quite regularly. 

Other SP groups I'm involved in for my region, are pretty inactive, getting posts every couple of months.

I think what's left are the long term die hards and new-comers who were late getting active in it.  Other people have moved on to new passions.  that's actually quite normal.

*Self checks for vibrancy* Humm. I still look the same...

The last Steampunk forum in the world? Including Latin America, Japan and Europe? So basically what you're saying is that we are not dead, but in bed at the hospice, and Father Flanagan is here, ready to read us the last rites? Is there an obituary ready for the newspaper?

I guess death is quite normal, that is true my son. It's just the cycle of life, now go ahead and make your own life.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 08:59:37 pm »

The thing is that for me just migrating to Facebook is not the answer. Facebook as a venue is not adequate for presentation of long historical topics, for example. Nor is it adequate for organised review of work and extended debate among peers. Period.

The organisation of the Facebook interface is, I find, rather schizophrenic, in that you must limit your conversation to manageable (read short) paragraphs, and be OK with the idea of having your conversation be interrupted and pushed down to the bottom of the feed by anyone at any time, be it the new Pirate Reenacting Club in Las Vegas, or the latest political debate on the Alt-right and Antifa street brawls.

I imagine that by now Civil War re-enactor groups are considering limiting access to members or even shutting down their pages, as a result of having to defend themselves left and right from hateful comments coming from all sides of the political spectrum.

Quite honestly, if you closed this forum, I would simply start a new forum or I'd start a blog! There is no way I'm going to expose myself as a Steampunk, more importantly as a gender non-binary person coming out among the Steampunk, as well as an amateur historian, an aerospace engineer, and all of those things, to the often ignorant and hateful cacophony of voices in FB, and if I set my FB page and profile to private then only the people I know will ever talk to me, which makes the whole endeavour pointless.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:14:29 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 09:09:53 am »

Contrast that to Facebook, the Steampunk Tendencies group gets 1000+ new members added quite regularly. 

Other SP groups I'm involved in for my region, are pretty inactive, getting posts every couple of months.

The last Steampunk forum in the world? Including Latin America, Japan and Europe? So basically what you're saying is that we are not dead, but in bed at the hospice, and Father Flanagan is here, ready to read us the last rites? Is there an obituary ready for the newspaper?

I guess death is quite normal, that is true my son. It's just the cycle of life, now go ahead and make your own life.

I don't think that's much of a steampunk problem, rather a problem of fora in general losing flow.

What i am seeing, on various events in the netherlands is people complaining about the steady influx of steampunks overrunning general fantasy events.
That's quite a feat for a dead or dying subculture :pl

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2017, 01:40:25 pm »

I don't think that's much of a steampunk problem, rather a problem of fora in general losing flow.

What i am seeing, on various events in the netherlands is people complaining about the steady influx of steampunks overrunning general fantasy events.

You've probably summarized it better.

I like forums.  they work better for discussions than FB does, even though from a data-structure standpoint, it's nearly the same thing, the presentation design has the problems Wilhelm mentions.

But that said, there is a lot less chatter on steampunk on forums. A lot less.

The good thing I reckon, is that there's till people doing steampunk.  Going to events.  But it's nor clear where they hang out online, because the traffic patterns don't stand out.  If you were a gamer, a knitter, a gun enthusiast, I could find a gathering of people online. 

SP?  I can tell you where they used to be.

That's probably a part of why this thread started.  Because a trend was detectable in online activity.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 04:23:18 pm »

Snip

Never underestimate the undead. Steampunk zombies!
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2017, 01:01:15 am »

I'm not Dead Yet!

>> I like forums.  they work better for discussions than FB does

I concurr - forums are far more conducive to thoughtful discourse.  Also FB is evil . It is a collector of private data and A propogator of unsubsantiated unvetted garbage.

>> But it's nor clear where they hang out online, because the traffic patterns don't stand out.

See? we are part of the underworld, not the "trends" - also not so easily detectable , and thus harder for the establishment to foil our secret inventions and empire building!

yhs
prof marvel
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: