The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 02:36:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk Dying?  (Read 1756 times)
Gray12king
Swab

United States United States

« on: May 14, 2017, 02:00:34 am »

Is steampunk dying? I had considered joining the community for a while as I have seen some astounding outfits and would like to try to create my own. I've been looking around the internet for forums and such and many seem to be... lacking. This forum seems to have a great community, but many threads are dead and the updated ones don't have a substantial amount of users keeping up. I mean, the site itself seems to be outdated. I don't wish to insult the steampunk community, but is it dying?
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 02:05:21 am »

No, just not many forums out here ( than i know of).

The punk in steampunk is dying thought (warning:you may fell a sting in the region of the forum's ''no politic'' rule. Also, don't let the title mislead you like it have done for many ):
http://thefedorachronicles.com/rants/2017/requiem_for_steampunk.html

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Gray12king
Swab

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 02:13:48 am »

I finished reading the article, but that's not necessarily what I meant. I thought that the community surrounding "Steampunk" was larger. I've poked around the internet for quite some time and it seems that there isn't the massive community I believed there was. Was the movement larger prior to my poking it with a stick? Was it never as large and have I merely believed something that was untrue? Steampunk may not be what it was as a movement, but I'm referring to the size of it's community.

Also, the reason for me posting this under "Tactile" was because I was going to make a Steampunk-esque plague doctor.

In your opinion, should I go with a white, black or brown mask?...
selectedgrub
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 02:24:28 am »

Why is this in Tactile ?
Alot have moved on to the next fad.
As for forums they are dying as a whole.
Thank Instant gram, facetube and tweeter etc.

Gray12king
Swab

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 02:27:22 am »

I'm planning on making a Steampunk-esque plague doctor and I can't decide on making the mask white, black or brown. The color for the mask would work as my primary color and would probably change my other colors. If I do white I'd probably work with reds and blacks. If I do black, I'd go full black. If I do brown, I'll work with more metal and black.

That's why it's on Tactile.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 02:43:08 am »

I'm way too poor to do steampunk every day; I'm a college student! All I can afford is ramen!

But I do agree that steampunk has become diluted by so many "steampunk" things that are really just cheap brown fabric with gears hot-glued on. I think one of the places this is most apparent is in online shopping sites... look up "steampunk" on Amazon or something and you'll find a load of metallic junk with no love or craftsmanship put into it. Part of the things that make sp so fun is the DIY, individualistic spirit... at least, that's one of the reasons I love it. Something you wear is that much cooler when you know you spent hours making or modding it with whatever you could scrape up.

I feel a lot of people who make newer steampunk things are copying the aesthetics without putting any of themselves into it. I'm happy this community exists, though, because along with a lot of other makers and artists all over the world, we're trying to put the soul back in steampunk.

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
montrehomme 50
Officer
France France

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 07:55:24 pm »

From my point of view, as a maker, Steampunk is booming.  I make one-off pieces, and exhibit and sell at tattoo conventions here in France.  I have sold every piece I have made, and could have sold most pieces several times over.
The Cabinet of Curiosity pieces are also much in demand.  I agree that there is a lot of 'Junk' being pedaled as Steampunk, the old "stick a cog on it and call it Steampunk" objects.
I share most of what I make here on Tactile, and it has been well received, with some very complementary comments.
So, I think by making unique one-off pieces, I have found my niche at least, and by using mostly reclaimed and found objects, I couldn't make the same thing twice, even if I wanted to, which I don't !.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:02:43 pm »

It does seem that the SP forums have gone quieter mostly since the moderator of SteamPunk Empire abandoned that popular site.

BTW, check out http://welcometosteampunk.com/  (not that there is anything wrong with Brass Goggles - they are just different formats and both different from the FB groups)

I have been pleasantly surprised by the growing turnouts at both small and large SP events lately.  SteamPunks seem to even be taking over some other venues.   We seem to have new SPs joining every event which is sort of the opposite of dying.

-Karl
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 11:19:49 pm »

No, just not many forums out here ( than i know of).

The punk in steampunk is dying thought (warning:you may fell a sting in the region of the forum's ''no politic'' rule. Also, don't let the title mislead you like it have done for many ):
http://thefedorachronicles.com/rants/2017/requiem_for_steampunk.html

Was anti-establishmentism actually a significant force in steampunk? I, personally, always thought that people who self-identified as anti-establishment were posers. Not that being a poser is a terrible thing; we are all posers to some degree.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 03:45:35 pm »

Steampunk was never part of the "punk" movement. The term was coined by K.W. Jeter in response to a question about Infernal Devices. The whole "non-conformity" (if there is one) is to Victorian values, and even then we still follow many of their ideas and values, just modernized. And of course there will ALWAYS be SOMEONE policing others, its in every community, we just choose to ignore them for the most part and move on. Steampunk is not dying at all. The number of steampunk events is only growing, attendance is increasing incredibly. The online community may be small, but overall its a thriving subculture.

And anyone who says you have to live steampunk should have a quick discussion about the aeronautical engineering of an AIRSHIP, and the awfulness of Victorian "morals".

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 07:40:06 pm »

Ah, so this is the first post hehe. I just responded to Mr Bowman's related query without actually having read it. Still In response to the OP, have a look at the size and activity of some of the Facebook pages. SP forums may admittedly be slowing down, but forums are in general now I think (let's just say they obviously appeal to a select group of discerning individuals, who enjoy a more gentle pace of in depth discourse than that offered by the likes of Facebook and Twitter), so I wouldn't read too much into that. In terms of wider appeal, Steampunk has clearly found it's niche in the convention circuit. This may sadden some folks who had perhaps slightly loftier aspirations for it. But nevertheless the whole convention/cosplaying "scene", is now a multi million dollar (or name your currency) industry, and Steampunk appears to be very much alive within it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:00:48 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 07:51:05 pm »

I first heard about Steampunk one evening in a Geocities chatroom 'way back in the late 90s, or maybe it was the early 2000s. That Christmas or thereabouts, at any rate, an article in some webzine or other declared the genre and movement dead, null, void, and utterly lame.

Come january, people were talking about it again. It's been like that ever since; Some alleged authoritative person someplace declares it to be dead, and it suddenly flares up again. Don't bury us just yet, we're still kicking...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 08:34:35 pm »

Continuous reanimation in an infinite variety of combinations.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 08:41:15 pm »

Continuous reanimation in an infinite variety of combinations.

Similar to Stanislaw Lem's novel, Solaris?

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 07:18:05 am »

Not only is Steampunk alive, it is cross-polinating:

I offer the now numerous Cowboy Action Shooting Clubs hosting Steampunk Themed weekend shoots
and the now famous NRA museum exhibit of Steampunk'd Guns.

if one looks here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nra+steampunk&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3mYz52vPTAhXKrlQKHagCC2kQsAQILQ&biw=1280&bih=542

most of the  images (except the nerf ones) are from the NRA exhibit.

yhs
prof ( steamy and cas) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 08:42:34 pm »

Well, seeing as nobody else has said it....

No, it just smells funny.

Grin  Grin

Thanks, I'm here all century. Try the gin.

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 10:06:43 pm »

Or the embalming fluid.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 10:19:52 pm »

I recommend the Extra Bergemont Earl Grey, and the Turkish Espresso.
Drink up! There is that "cover charge" after all!

yhs
prof marvel
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 04:35:54 am »

Or the embalming fluid.

Barmy fluid? Right! I'll have some of that then!

(bonus points if you know where that's from).
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 05:34:33 am »

Heh! I failed to realize the OP posted in May of this year. I thought this was one of the dozen posts predicting Steampunks' demise that I've read since I came into Steampunk in 2009...

Steampunk is small?

Well let's see. After getting acquainted with local American groups in Texas in 2009, I discovered the British-American core back in the days ov Von Slatt and Datamancer, then in Brassgoggles I saw the Australian and New Zealand Steampunks, the European Steampunks and Steampunks in Spain and France, and later marvelled in the abilities shown by the Steampunks in Eastern Europe and Russia.

I was then one of the people who started the Steampunk Mexico forum, and then I saw the Tokyo inventors Society, and then saw Steampunk emerge in all over in Latin America, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, with many of these groups abandoning the forum format and migrating to Facebook...

So a better question is, "Where is Steampunk dying?"

In a sense, Steampunk being born as a literary genre is the same as saying "Mystery novels," "Police drama," and "Vampire Novels." Also included in the analogy is Cyberpunk.

Can any of those genres die? Have any of those genres died because they were not the fad of the decade? I mean, we got Blade Runner 2049(?) coming out pretty soon. Is that Cyberpunk, or Post-Cyberpunk? Is Cyberpunk really dead?

There are some people out there who'd have you believe there are no mystery novels after Agatha Christie. Should any mystery oriented novel be termed "Post Mystery?"

Will Vampire novels die?

Let's expand our reasoning, shall we? What about music. Jazz? Surely is dead. It's for old people. Big Band music? Dead. Early Rock n' Roll? Dead, dead, dead.

What about Classical music? Surely that is dead, right? I mean who listens to the music of people who died centuries ago?

It follows, we must be dead then.

Mr. King, to paraphrase the Ghost Army of the Lord of the Rings, "you are not welcome here. This forum belongs to the dead. Here we do not suffer from the living.

~ ~ ~
Edited for typos (there may be a few left)

And ah! Yes! Mr. King, I'm joking of course you are welcome in the forum. I just wanted to be a bit melodramatic. Please, do lay your worries to rest..
 Roll Eyes    In peace, that is.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:49:05 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 06:37:58 am »

I believe Barmy fluid is from next door...  Wink
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 09:39:37 am »

Barmy Fluid?
Barmy Rubble?
RockPunk?

yhs
prf mumbles
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 08:32:45 pm »

Steampunk dying? Hell no. seems to me we've barely got started.......

Athanor.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 10:41:55 am »

I'm way too poor to do steampunk every day; I'm a college student! All I can afford is ramen!

(...)

I feel a lot of people who make newer steampunk things are copying the aesthetics without putting any of themselves into it. I'm happy this community exists, though, because along with a lot of other makers and artists all over the world, we're trying to put the soul back in steampunk.

Same. Also got to listen to my parents and they say no sp outside of fairs.

But to contribute to this, on another forum i opened a thread inviting people to ask me anything about steampunk...
Most of the questions were jokingly made (about why cyberpunk is cooler than steampunk, .....) but one questiom really struck me. Mainly because it was honest wonder.
What time period(s) is steampunk supposed to be based off of and what historical elements are referenced in steampunk? Or is it just an aesthetic?
When people start to ask these questions, maybe what is seen as "steampunk" has diverted too much.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 12:29:35 pm »

There are Steampunk events happening locally in the UK literally every week. They attract as few as 20 or as many as 200 to every one. Every major town and county has regular gatherings.

'The Asylum Steampunk Festival' held in Lincoln that started as a weekend in 2009 attracting just a few hundred Steampunks and nascent Steampunks now runs for a whole week.

Over the period of that week Lincoln attracts people who come for the whole event, or for a one day visit, or for the weekend.

Full participants were 3,200 last year and expected to double again this year.
Entries into the Steampunk section of the castle (so wristbands and paid entries, etc, not including the poppy exhibit) were 30,000 Saturday, 26,000 Sunday and 24,000 Monday) (Gate security report) People coming uphill to see the festival in the Bail area was officially estimated by Lincoln Council at 150,000 for the week.

People came from all over the world. They always do.

You can imply that Steampunk has gone 'mainstream' or 'overground'. You may feel that YOUR particular take on Steampunk is not represented as much as YOU would like.

But I can see little evidence of it actually dying. Not in the UK anyway.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: