The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 03:48:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Fire trucks  (Read 896 times)
John G.
Swab

United States United States

« on: May 13, 2017, 10:32:14 pm »

Hello, I'm not really new here, I use to go by the title DAMNED ONE (or something like that) I thought it was time I become a bit more legit. I have a screenplay for a television series (as some might remember)  first season completed, and a few producers looking at it now.  I entered it into two pilot competitions, and the first rendered high praise, and it was awarded in the high upper quarter winners.   Now, I'm working on a second season.

Now, I seek advise, in the second season I have a town's fire department arriving for a rescue and fire dousing.  I was once a volunteer fire fighter and seen the changes over the years, but I have no idea what a steampunk fire equipment would look like. I got engine and ladder truck responding, so with hopes and gratitude, can anyone give me an idea on what the steampunk version of these unit would look like? 
selectedgrub
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:59:20 pm »

A photo I took outside one of our fire stations.

John G.
Swab

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:20:21 pm »

Yes, I can use this, but need to steampunk it out a bit.   A gauge panel and switches, all in brass and etched. Any suggestions? 
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 11:29:50 pm »

That's an acid/base foam extinguisher. About the only addition that would even make sense might be a pressure gauge.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
John G.
Swab

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:34:55 pm »

thank you Smiley
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 12:12:41 am »

Maybe add some brakes?
Unless it's a very flat town, dragging it uphill would be arduous, but freewheeling downhill and letting go would be potentially lethal.
So big shiny discs, spring-loaded calipers, linkages or cables&pulleys, ornate brass levers... maybe even selective braking to spin around tight corners?

Or for the uphills, how about shiny brass handwheels on each hub like a wheelchair so extra hands can push the wheels without having to handle whatever muck the big rims run over?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 01:15:27 pm by Fairley B. Strange » Logged

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:57:39 pm »

early firefighting equipment used manual pumps to raise the pressure to the fire hoses from the local water supply or a pulled tank. later equipment had steam boilers to run the pumps, then eventually the steam pumps were placed on motor carriages to respond even faster than horse drawn or man pulled equipment.

google antique firefighting pumps to see the progression of technology. they were to some extent the cutting edge of technology of their time.
John G.
Swab

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 06:35:41 am »

In the series, the Steampunk realm of Atlar, uses alcohol fuel instead of coal or wood.  I've been looking over some of the early motorized versions, and got some ideas, but now to steampunk them out a bit more.

Thank you all for the help.  Cheesy
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 07:35:18 am »

Here's an 1842 Fire engine from Philadelphia:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/2013/06/five-cool-facts-about-our-new-philadelphia-style-fire-engine.html

It was hand-pumped. But steampunks would definitely have some sort of boiler attached to that to perform the pumping function by burning coal!  Fight fire with fire! Literally! So the engine would start looking more like this original 1902 Steam Fire Engine from Manchester (State of Massachusetts, USA), which actually saw action during the Great Salem Fire of 1914

But what about the firefighters? Surely in a steampunk universe skyscrapers have more than 15 stories! How to get to that woman carrying a baby in the 45th floor?

An aerial fire engine? Why not? Airship to the rescue. But what about steam-powered wings? Take a look at the strangest concepts for firefighting that came out of the imagination of French post card artists in 1899! How about an Ornithopter Fire Brigade?  Grin

https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/france-in-the-year-2000-1899-1910/

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/France_in_XXI_Century._Air_firefighters.jpg/800px-France_in_XXI_Century._Air_firefighters.jpg

Plenty of Steampunk wings here: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/steampunk-wings/

Look at the work from one of our (former?/current?)members, Steampunk22:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30579.0/topicseen.html

Steampunk Icarus Wings - Handmade - Arbutus, Walnut, Cherry, Leather, Brass

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 08:16:37 am »

John G.
Swab

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 01:21:51 am »

Mr. Wilhelm!!!!  You are a genius!  thank you, I'm going to combine some of the steamer you have, as well as a few additions from a book I forgot I had of the history of fire trucks from 1880's.    But, now I can put in the rocket pack into the story line!!!!

Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 02:04:03 am »

Flying firemen. Now there is a concept
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 05:04:13 am »

Dubai was recently announcing that due to the number of high-rise apartments adjacent to waterways - such as the Palms development - they were going to trial those water-driven jet-packs with an additional hose system to act as a flying firefighting tool.

https://futurism.com/firefighters-show-off-new-water-powered-jetpacks/
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 07:01:39 am »

Mr. Wilhelm!!!!  You are a genius!  thank you, I'm going to combine some of the steamer you have, as well as a few additions from a book I forgot I had of the history of fire trucks from 1880's.    But, now I can put in the rocket pack into the story line!!!!

Grin

Glad to be of some help. You needed a mad man's suggestion. Those of us who dream flying machines are at the top of the heap when it comes to madness!
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »

When I read this post I thought of this straight away.

Corroded

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
John G.
Swab

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 10:01:56 pm »

My dear Mr. Wilhelm, madness in aerial machines, imagine this, I have it in the series, called a heavy battle Zep;  using non flammable lifting gas and ducted fan engines burning alcohol, of a titanium type alloy and covered in layers of Kevlar type fabric that can defeat a 75 mm shell.  Capable of carrying forty MOAB bombs,  six self loading .155 mm howitzers mounted within the bow of the ship. .40 mm automatic anti air craft guns in six blisters and numerous 50 caliber machine guns.  Even with full battle load, she will be able to carry a division of light infantry into battle.
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 10:13:44 am »

This is Cool & Reminds me of What My Father used to do Smiley he was a Firefighter, He's Still Alive and Well but, I Used To Worry about him on Fire Calls! This is Interesting & Cool to See. What about making Something Similar with some Steampunked Super Soakers Huh Huh Huh Huh Think that would Work?
keithjones
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 03:09:20 am »

Check out the Christie Fire Truck - 4 cylinder internal combustion engine in the front, steam powered pumper in the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylfwzi4Sikk
fbreivald
Deck Hand

Friedrich von Knassendorf

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 04:21:24 am »

Saw this beauty in the factory museum in my home town of Eskilstuna, Sweden last summer.

Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 08:52:39 pm »

lovely
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: