The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:46:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to steampunk, will this outfit work?  (Read 947 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 08:47:26 pm »

@annevpreussen and Caledonian: thx for the complement  Grin

I have made some small adjustments to the goggle:
- I broke the light i made in the eye while i was trying to fix it properly to the goggle (it was just taped at the time), but i will add one again
- I added a bunch of gears to the side (yes, functionless, i know some consider it a sin).
- I added a radio lamp to the top, i tried to make it light up with a led, but the led i had wasn't powerfull enough to have much effect, i will try to either get a powerled of i will just not add light

I still want to add some stuff to it, at least a mesh in one eye and some sort of lens in the other. And i want to add a leather band instead of the current elastic one.

I also tried on my outfit, it's just the hat, goggles and coat i have gotten so far (everything else is old).

I was thinking of the following things to add:

Hat: i might want to add a leather band, a feather, and a vintage playing card, haven't decided yet.

Coat: I want to add some Medals i plan to make.

Pants (also available in grey):

I have already ordered a gas mask which i will try to convert into something similar to this:

I want to add a Satchel, which i will try to modify, maybe add some vials similar to this:

I still need to start on the cane, but haven't made up my mind how i am going to do it yet.
I still need to start on my gun, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Lastly i am considering buying a watch, but not sure what would work.
A pocket watch, but not sure where to "show" it.
A wrist watch, but that would not show at all, unless i somehow wear it over my coat.
The third option would be some kind of bracer with a watch build in, but i haven't figured out how to go about that and still have it be affordable.

The first and second option are pretty affordable for under €10.

Those vials are a really nice touch - I particularly like the bandoleer. As to the watch, why not have it on a chain hanging from the aforementioned bandoleer?

Yours,
Miranda.
MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 08:03:43 pm »

As to the watch, why not have it on a chain hanging from the aforementioned bandoleer?

I guess that would work too. I will look into acquiring a pocket watch (on a chain) i like.

As for progress, the goggles are about finished:

Added a mesh in one eye and a zoom-lens with led-light in the other.

I also painted a gun, not finished, i still need to finish the pull-lever with a ring.

And last but not least i started dressing up my little girl.

I also have a hat coming in for my 8 month old boy. Not sure if and what i am going to do with clothing for them.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2017, 10:10:04 pm »

That's very nice paintwork on the gun.

Yours,
Miranda.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 11:18:39 pm »

maybe a one piece jumper outfit for the children, with pilot wings and insignia? for a utilitarian flight suit look. a sam brown belt can be made from a few skinny and wide leather belts, even for the kids. just keep it all light, children usually balk at too much ballast.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2017, 07:09:43 pm »

I bet your little girl would like some steampunk wings - which would also raise her 'cuteness' factor to astronomical heights - she's most of the way there already.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 11:43:08 am »

Interesting ideas, i have found some of those jumpers online, but not the right quality or size so far.

And steampunk wings you say, what did you have in mind? I am not able to craft something elaborate, nor would that survive a day on the back of my kid.

Maybe something like this in hard plastic that i can repaint into brass or so.

It would be even better if i can find something that actually looks more steampunk, but i havent been able to find anything yet.

Maybe for the future i can do something like this instruction manual: http://www.cadagile.com/steampunk-auto-vouwen-vleugels.html
But for now she won't be able to use anything like that and it will just be destroyed by her instead.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 02:28:23 pm »

How about a pair of cheap fabric wings, the sort one buys in a pound shop, and recover them with gauze which you can then paint/spray a steampunk design onto.  I know these usually resemble butterfly wings in their structure but why shouldn't there be steampunk butterflies?
MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2017, 04:37:18 pm »

Excellent idea! I will look into it.
Another similar, but more expensive, idea was to use something like this and completely repaint it:

MichielH
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 06:13:19 pm »

It even opens en closes with a button. Pretty cool if painted in steampunk style not? Not sure if it's slightly too big for my girl now, but that will fix itself by time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd20dKcxKsw
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: