The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 02:59:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049  (Read 787 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 09:42:31 am »

Just found the 'other' sequel in a second-hand bookstore. It will be interesting reading, even if it never has a good reputation.

Blade Runner 2 - The edge of human by KW Jetter.

Sorontar

Just found the 'other' sequel in a second-hand bookstore. It will be interesting reading, even if it never has a good reputation.

Blade Runner 2 - The edge of human by KW Jetter.

Sorontar

He also wrote 'Blade Runner 3: Replicant Night' (1996), and 'Blade Runner 4: Eye and Talon' (2000).

I read The Edge of Human - not that good. Kept me from reading the others.

The main thing among Blade Runner fans is that in the original movie, one comes out from the theatre with the impression that Deckard is also a Replicant.

The whole "edge" of Peoples and Fancher's Bladerunner was that they did subtly suggest his artificiality (unicorn dream scene -  memories - Gaff's little Origami unicorn left as a warning). The original "1940s gumshoe dialect" narration by Ford also explicitly stated that Deckard also felt like he had no feelings himself and wondered about his humanity - this narration was deleted in the 10-year annivesary "Director's Cut" which everybody knows. But Peoples and Fancher also portray the feelings of his co-workers -Gaff and the ever drunk chief, I imagine very subtly are in a melancholic mood when seeing their old dead comrade -the real Deckard- brought back to life as a Replicant. Hence explaining why Gaff warns Deckard that the police will come after Rachael, but also him as well by leaving the little origami unicorn. It was that possibility that kept people on edge. The eternal cliff hanger.

The Edge of Human kills that possibility completely. I won't reveal any more.

It seems this sequel, as well, will kill the notion of Deckard as a Replicant altogether, as you can see from the clip. I wonder how much from "The Edge of Human" actually made it to this new sequel.

Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »

On the flipside I always took Deckard as being so burnt out, so detached, the line between 'human' and 'replicant' essentially wasn't something hard and fast outside of point of origin. The director himself keeps flip-flopping on the issue in official interviews which means he's trolling us pretty danged hard.

I have no comment on if this will be good or bad, but i actually enjoyed tron legacy, I liked the robocop reboot, and I want to hold out hope for this and give it a chance to make its case for existing.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 06:45:09 am »

Several years ago l read a very comprehensive book on Blade Runner called Future Noir. Don't remember the author, but it was quite interesting, even if l didn't agree with some of his comments. The one that comes to mind is that he claimed the three year life span was planned obsolescence, while the movie made it clear it was a controllability factor.

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2017, 03:54:06 am »

IMHO (having read the book and watched the first BR movie, both the original and directors cuts), the greater part of the story from the book would have been a great platform on which to build a great movie - but they killed that possibility with all the changes Hollywood made to the storyline. Just saying.

I haven't seen the new movie, but if it follows the same premises and extrapolates the storyline of the first one, there are an awful lot of plot holes to fill up - and Hollywood isn't all that great shakes when it comes to repairing that kind of damage.

Still, I'll reserve (most) judgement until I manage to see it.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2017, 05:56:21 pm »

I did not like BR 2049.

The soundtrack used this low bassy WopWopWopWop! noise frequently that was loud and irritating.

The plot was such that the hero should have stayed home.

The acting was wooden, the most lively person was the hologram.

Definitely not worth the $30 I paid for two 3d tickets (didn't know that when we rushed to make it in time after work).

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »

Meh. Nothing surprises me. I'll go watch it at regular prices. But if Ghost in the Shell is any indication, Hollywood should leave the classics alone, because all they do is dumb down the plot, completely missing the thesis of the original story, and killing the franchise for future generations. GitS is now dead for any young person who didn't read the Masamune Shirow manga, or see Mamoru Oshii's animated movie.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 12:40:54 pm »

Well having now seen it (and the original) I've been able to put my fears to rest. I have a lot of good I could say about it, but I think more importantly I should say that if anyone goes in expecting the same Blade Runner again then they shall be disappointed. I also think that someone would be setting themselves up for failure, and would have equal complaints about a shot-for-shot remake. I feel there are many fans more or less looking for something to be wrong with BR 2049.

Instead of looking for things wrong and setting a standard no movie (even the original, go back and watch it) would meet, one should go in looking for exactly what they enjoyed in the first film. The pacing is patient, the art direction is deeply thought-out, the plot is in many ways equally as small and the questions raised are just as affronting and thought-provoking as the original.

I think BR 2049 may be the new definition of what a Cyberpunk Sci-Fi film should be. Everything GitS failed to be.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 03:20:23 pm »

I got to see it the last night it played here. Theatre was COMPLETELY empty which felt surreal. I mean sure i figured it'd not really be that popular but... wow.

I giggled at the end.... because the overall choices the ending made in shot composition, and music were how I would have written it.

I can't wait for the special editions to hit. It did the impossible and was a sequel to Blade Runner that wasn't shit. For that, i am eternally grateful.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: