The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:07:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian "Guardian Keytool"  (Read 438 times)
Harvey Midnight
Gunner
United States United States

« on: May 07, 2017, 03:11:22 am »

Well, I am slightly embarrassed by this one.. because essentially I've glued a gear on something.., BUT, in my defense the original object I was making, had this sort of display-screen disc that looked like a gear. So it's explainable..

However, I was more interested in copying the 'look' of the item, than in actually allowing form to follow function.

This is the "Guardian Keytool" used by Bob, in the show Reboot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the version I made:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I, of course, added a central gear. Popped in a visual "keytool" pun with an actual keyhole just under that. The original has a cylindrical piece, and I thought it might be fun to make that into a vacuum-tube, which would provide power for the device-- Tho the tube isn't quite as bright in real life as it is in these photos.   Precisely what the device DOES, tho.. I'm not sure. Bob's, in the show, could transform itself into all manner of useful things-- I'm not so sure my Victorian version is quite so utilitarian.

I'm guessing, since there's a keyhole and a vacuum tube, it probably generates some kind of electrical 'doorway' or portal--- maybe it's a teleportation device?? Or maybe it just unlocks doors... an electric lockpick. I'll have to give it some thought.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:17:09 am by Harvey Midnight » Logged
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 04:04:15 am »

Make it first, then figure out what it does. There was a science fiction series of stories in the 40's about a scientist who would wake up from a drunk to find that he has invented something. But what? Hilarity ensued...

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:51:36 am »

There is a very pleasing symmetry to the arrangement. I do like the idea of using a key to activate the device - maybe you have a ring with a bunch of different keys, each activating a different function. Feedback from this action might be provided by the relative position of the gears, thus giving them a 'function'.

Yours,
Miranda.
Harvey Midnight
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:22:39 pm »

I like that 'different keys' idea!! Very cool. I did purchase a few old-timey skeleton keys at the same time I bought the keyhole--- wasn't sure how to incorporate them,  but I did but a little steel ring on one of the fasteners as a possible place to hang a key.  A whole ring of multiple keys might look cool.

But everything's a learning process: in regard to function--- I realized one thing, just wearing it: I've made it sideways! if I turn my arm to access it-- well,  not only is the keyhole at a 90% angle... easy enough to ignore... but with the vacuum tube on the outward side, closer to my hand--   it's in the WAY when I try to access it with my free-hand. This might create a risk of electrocution; plus, there's more risk of damaging the electrical connection.

I have enough pieces, I might consider a redesign. Which is tough, because aside from 'usefuless', yeah... I LIKE how it looks!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 12:14:22 am »

It doesn't look like a vacuum tube; it looks like a galenium crystal cat's whisker diode which, truthfully, is more steampunk than a vacuum tube, but it doesn't light up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: