The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:04:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House Pics  (Read 1155 times)
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« on: May 02, 2017, 07:32:48 pm »

I'm curious what people do in their houses to add a bit of steampunk to them, so to start out here's a bit of mine:

Old telescopes on leather straps  (I just moved the map, so haven't finished mending the wall yet):

Copper tape and suede finish walls:

Lamp made with copper pipe and leather. Also has an old coin we found at the bottom of the centre pipe to finish it off:

Patterned floors. This was done because the centres of the floors are cheap pine as they are meant to be covered with rugs:

Floor and alphabet/compass mural in the guest room:

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:35:37 pm »

That's a very good look- you have a house that lends itself well to the way you are going, and you are going at it in a fine way. Well done so far!

HP

ps I particularly like the lamp  Smiley

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:47:39 am »

Very nice look, indeed!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 04:20:04 am »

You obviously  have an eye for such  details. Your home  has a goid touch to it .
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 05:12:39 am »

Here are  a few shots of current and former interior  arrangements. I call it the Antipodean Revival Style.  Everything is the other way up Down Under .

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My previous home
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 06:30:12 am »

Here are  a few shots of current and former interior  arrangements. I call it the Antipodean Revival Style.  Everything is the other way up Down Under .

My previous home

Dear Lord! Your old house had a genuine Hanging Garden!  How did you manage to reproduce the original Babylonian Gardens, and why would you abandon it (unless of course you brought the hanging garden with you)? Though I see you've managed to hang the whole new house   Roll Eyes  Grin

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:03:19 pm »

Exlibris, I absolutely love your floors! I would so steal that idea, but reselling in a few years may not go over well.......we will see!
And the copper taped wall is a fantastic idea, also! That tape is difficult to get creases out of if it's the kind for glass, lovely work there.
The lamp is pretty brilliant, too!

I'm fixin' to put some Widow's Peak railing above our front entrance, but the rain has been non-stop here.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:26:03 pm »

Firstly, thank you everyone. I hope a few people add some more photos, I would love to see what people do with their homes.

Hurricane Annie, I hope you post more of your garden. The porch looks like a lovely space. I've been putting off dealing with landscaping while working on more pressing matters (old houses lack insulation and I live in Canada).

Dean, the stain on the floors in actually a glaze done on top of the first layer of polyurethane. Theoretically, should I ever need to change it, it should sand right off. I can dig up some photos from when I did it, if you're interested.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 04:14:15 pm »

Those floors are quite simply fantastic, brilliant job, very clever idea and executed to perfection by the looks of the photos.

Not that I intend to pinch the idea, but am interested in the process involved. I'm assuming masking tape, different colour stains and a lot of patience.

annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 05:29:11 pm »

Exlibris, I am dying over your walls. So beautiful!

I don't have a home of my own yet, but when I move into my apartment for next school year I want to add some steampunk flair  Cheesy

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 05:48:19 pm »

Well, it did take a lot of tape and stain, but overall it took a lot less time than I had expected. That really depends on how complicated the design is, though. Mine only took a few hours to tape up. Altogether they maybe took two days.

Before  (I always forget how bad it was): you can see the bad inside wood that had to be covered.

Step one: Sand and put on one coat of polyurethane.

Step two: tape off design and cover with another coat of polyurethane. This seals the edges of the tape so that the stain stays in place.

Step three: glaze the design. I used gel stain mixed with mineral spirits. Can be messy, so everything was covered. However, because it went on top of polyurethane, it also cleaned up easily.

Step four: let it dry, remove the tape, and finish polyurethaning.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 05:54:44 pm »

I'm more of a no fuss, contemporary minimalist kinda guy, here's a few piccies of my hellhole abode, a constant work in progress.  Wink
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »

I totally want to raid your place. You can keep the ship stuff, though, I'm air force Smiley.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 06:57:30 pm »

I totally want to raid your place. You can keep the ship stuff, though, I'm air force Smiley.
Airship Corps I hope  Grin The main reason for the shippy stuff is I live in Portsmouth UK, so a maritime history and things turn up at local car boots and junk shops.

That is the middle room, which I have actually painted and sort of finished......... ish

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 12:08:31 am »

"Dean"?!       ....must have been Autocorrect, eh? (Sorry, the "eh" is just my Chicaga accent, not knocking my friends up nort Wink).
I don't have much, at all really, maybe when I finish the front doorway and it's roof area.

SeVeNeVeS,  I never knew how deep you went.....wow!
I like everything, well, Miss Plastic.......... Lips sealed
 Wink
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 04:46:03 am »

Apologies! That's what I get for multitasking. I
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 06:26:57 am »

SeVeNeVeS, definitely my kind of minimalist!  Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 11:27:34 am »

Here are  a few shots of current and former interior  arrangements. I call it the Antipodean Revival Style.  Everything is the other way up Down Under .

My previous home

Dear Lord! Your old house had a genuine Hanging Garden!  How did you manage to reproduce the original Babylonian Gardens, and why would you abandon it (unless of course you brought the hanging garden with you)? Though I see you've managed to hang the whole new house   Roll Eyes  Grin

I did love that  garden.  It had a life of its own. I reveled in developing it cutting by bulb. Alas it was time to move on to a new adventure .  I had to leave  near all of it behind . The new owners stripped most of it . Philistines ! !

It was  entertaining  watching passers-by's faces as the peeked in or new visitors as they  were confronted  by the full effect.

I have a brand new plot to plant   at the new  abode.  I was intending to keep it tamed  and understated   -  but wild nature  has got the better of me. .... and once again I find  those around me  daring me  on to see how far I go ... then there is the zeppelin  hangar..

I have gone though from Rudyard Kipling  to Lewis Carroll

mizzarrogh
Gunner
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 03:32:54 pm »

What a wonderful post!

Think i want to post here too in the future when i moved in a bit more permanently in my new home too.
I could not resist to put a bit som SP there as well... (at least i hope so..) Since i realy loved the 1800 so much since i was a little child.

------------------------------------
SeVeNeVeS
I realy love your home!
It looks just so amazing with all those wonderful things.

I am realy jelous of Your great supply of all those wonderful things!

(Sorry for my terrible English...)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:34:48 pm by mizzarrogh » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 05:52:21 pm »

What a wonderful post!

Think i want to post here too in the future when i moved in a bit more permanently in my new home too.
I could not resist to put a bit som SP there as well... (at least i hope so..) Since i realy loved the 1800 so much since i was a little child.

------------------------------------
SeVeNeVeS
I realy love your home!
It looks just so amazing with all those wonderful things.

I am realy jelous of Your great supply of all those wonderful things!

(Sorry for my terrible English...)

Please do post some photos. And may I say your English is just fine! My place is a sanctuary from the madness outside the front door, an aaaaah!, I'm home kinda thing.

Anyone else here care to share? Even that little trinket tucked on a side table or the grandiose?

I will post more at a later date.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:16:38 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 03:18:41 am »

I am feeling very inspired to get to some antique places. We don't have a lot that way, usually, but you never know.
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 03:28:29 am »

This thread motivated me to clean my room and re-vamp my steampunk corner! Although it's turned from a corner to most of my closet... who needs clothes, right?

I didn't know how much steampunk gear and crafting stuff I had until I sorted it all out. It took up most of my floor! My dream is to have it take up most of my house, like in the wonderful photographs on here.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 07:32:02 pm »

Well, it did take a lot of tape and stain, but overall it took a lot less time than I had expected. That really depends on how complicated the design is, though. Mine only took a few hours to tape up. Altogether they maybe took two days.

Before  (I always forget how bad it was): you can see the bad inside wood that had to be covered.

Step one: Sand and put on one coat of polyurethane.

Step two: tape off design and cover with another coat of polyurethane. This seals the edges of the tape so that the stain stays in place.

Step three: glaze the design. I used gel stain mixed with mineral spirits. Can be messy, so everything was covered. However, because it went on top of polyurethane, it also cleaned up easily.

Step four: let it dry, remove the tape, and finish polyurethaning.

That is wonderfully creative and clever at the same time!

Dear SeVeNeVeS - oh yes, that's what I call interior decorating!

Dear Annie - looking forwards to seeing what you do with your new garden.

Yours,
Miranda.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 04:15:07 pm »

selectedgrub
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 08:17:14 am »

Awesome
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print