The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 08:29:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leather Stair Pads  (Read 752 times)
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« on: April 27, 2017, 08:19:50 pm »

I've been redoing my old house (someone painted all the woodwork) and I want to replace the carpet pads that were once on the stairs with leather. The glue was still on the stairs when we first moved in, so I know the dimensions to make. I have some very thick leather for the pads, thin leather for the edges, and brass upholstery tacks for the edges. I want it to wrap around the front. Has anyone done something like this, or have any advice?

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:41:36 pm »

Ah- I've never seen this, so am interested to see how it goes.

HP

*sorry! That isn't any help, is it..?  Embarrassed *

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:18:04 pm »

My Dear ExLibris -

Firstly, I love the woodwork, and would very much enjoy seeing any other photos you might care to share.

I have not done "leather on stairs", but I do work with leather and have done carpet on stairs.

I would humbly suggest that you do not use leather here. Unless it is very thick very tough Sole Leather ( ie: at least 3 mm thick and specifically tanned for the purposes of boot soles) I beleive you will find that The leather will not hold up very well to wear! If you do not wear shoes in the house, it may last some months but even so, replacing the leather every year or every other year does not seem like a nice project.
The sort of leather you have shown is oft' used on desktops and cases, and not subject to the kind of wear stairs will see.

Stairs are most often covered with tough carpet, bound at the edges, which generally holds up for 10 or 15 years depending upon the quality.
I myself am about to put down this on the new oak stairs i installed about 4 years ago:

these are found in any U.S. "home Depot" , or online.

hope this helps

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:03:39 am »

Hmm not sure myself on this.

In the UK we used to use stair rods to secure a runner, not sure if any help, but could be a solution to a problem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 12:21:48 pm »

Ah, I do love a nice set of stairrods!  Grin

It would, however preclude the use of leather, unless you could get a nice big tanned python skin - those stair carpets are very long...

HP
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 01:49:15 pm »

Ooops! forgot to add the word Alternative............ solution to the problem, but if you can get a hide that long and narrow, then please let us know where from.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 02:51:52 pm »

Well, the leather is about 1/4" thick, so it may hold up well. We never wear shoes inside, So that should also help. I like the look of work leather, but hate carpet, so I guess I'll just have to see how it holds up.

I took my test piece apart and cut a groove for the edging leather so that it sits flush. It may be time consuming, but isn't overly difficult (I hope that I'll get faster by the end!). Here's a close-up, you can see on the left that the two pieces are almost flush.

I'm not sure how to change the image orientation on tinypic, but here's another of the woodwork:

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:36 pm »

1/4" = 6.5mm (approx), so quite thick and could withstand the potential traffic and work well, IMHO.

I have a vault horse leather from a school in my loft half the thickness with no holes, imagine the grief that has been through...................

Really nice staircase there!

Please do post progress.
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:12:54 pm »

Well the first one went very well, though did take a fair bit of time. I did the bottom step first, figuring it would be the worst and therefore should be furthest from eye level. It will take a few weeks to get them all done, but so far so good.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 03:15:14 pm »

Will you be staining the steps to match the rest of the woodwork?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 04:16:28 pm »

Nope, sorry about this but it just does not look right to me.

I've been proven wrong before and am willing to be proven wrong again, but does not do that staircase the justice it deserves IMHO.

Personal taste, I suppose, again, please carry on and post the rest as they go, my opinion is a mere drop in an ocean, a random bottlle washed apon a shore.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:32:42 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 11:50:19 pm »

Ah, I do love a nice set of stairrods!  Grin

It would, however preclude the use of leather, unless you could get a nice big tanned python skin - those stair carpets are very long...

HP

perhaps a giraffe skin or two?   
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 03:08:16 am »

Good luck on your project, I am looking forward to updates and progress/user reports!

yhs
prf marvel
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 11:15:08 pm »

I think it will work out pleasantly, just would like to see them a tad bit wider.
exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 02:20:59 am »

The stairs are finished except for some 1/4 round that will finish off the edges beside the baseboard (low priority), so they are the final colour.

The width was determined by the original pads, though given how hard it was to find the leather this thick, I'm glad I don't need to scrounge any more. Still, there should be enough scraps to make some office accessories. I also hope there will be extra thin leather, because I'm going to make a portiere for the door immediately behind the stairs in these photos and it would be nice to have matching steampunk-ish trim.

I've been working on cutting everything out the last few days. Cutting in the groove one the edges so the trim sits nicely is proving ... frustrating. It might take some time before I have more photos.

exlibris
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 02:50:55 am »

I can't believe how long this project is taking. Here is an updated photo of the stairs, which are about 2/3rds done now.

The bottom pad is three months old now and not showing any wear (which is great considering the dog needs his nails clipped). I'm using Snowproof on them to protect them, and leather cleaner once-in-a-while. They get dusty but clean up easily enough.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:03:41 am by exlibris » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 08:47:07 am »

Thanks for the update photos! It looks magnificent !  Cheesy

yhs
prof marvel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: