The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:55:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funky Steampunk'y Slide Viewer  (Read 426 times)
Hmbab2000
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: April 27, 2017, 07:31:34 am »

I've been tinkering for years and discovered the madness and fun that is steampunk. I've made a few fun things like guns and hats, but was inspired by an artist words of reality.

He was printing his photos and selling them.  He was getting along,  but realized the lack of intimacy and genuine "art" in his sold photos. They were literally $5 in paper and $2 in ink. Not a very bold statement. He decided to place his work in unique pieces he modified. Things like old tv's, desk radios and otherwise common items.

I visited his Web page and instantly had an idea. I'd make a steampunk slide viewer. The adventure began there. I had found a 6" ground glass lens at the flea market, it could be a unique perspective. I had an old silver caddy, another $5 score,  and it had a crazy lid that just might work. I managed to create a mount for the lens with a brass plate base and some creative woodwork. For the slide holder I re-purposed a clock mechanism to hold the slide at the right focal point. The light source is a 12v GE lamp powered by a DC hand-cranked generator mounted in the box. The crank is a handle from an antique pepper mill grinder. The feet are brass candle holders with more embellishments to come.

I finally had my proof of concept moment this week.  Now to fine tune and clean everything up. This will be a great conversation piece when it's done, and a great way to view slides without looking up into a light. Here are some pics.  Keep in mind, it's notdone. I'd love input and criticism, as long as it's good... n Wink

selectedgrub
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:03:58 am »

Nice work and thanks for sharing.
....with more embellishments to come.

Don't go too overborad with stick on functionlessness.
Less is more.
Carry on.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 08:46:39 pm »

A fine idea! Always good to come up with a new steamy device, and here is one.

Nice job on that crank, by the way  Grin.

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:48:31 pm »

I like this, only think I'd change is to stain the extra piece of internal wood to match the rest of the box.

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 08:56:34 pm »

I like that a lot.  There's a lot to be said for the understated aesthetic.  (Also I do keep looking at magic lanterns and lantern slides on that auction site).  Slide shows also strike me as a steampunkish pastime- the likes of Scott and Shackleton even took them to Antarctica as a form of entertainment in the long polar nights. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Hmbab2000
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 05:15:00 am »

Thanks folks.

Its a true passion piece at this point.  The wood was stained today and a round glass port dial was added. Plus i had too add a few pieces to add weight to the box.  That lid is heavy with that glass lens, and fully opened it wanted to pull the entire box over backwards. I'll be painting an the screw heads black to pull the black crank color into the scheme.

I have to say this site has spurred the gears in my head. So many great ideas and funky cool creations. This was my first piece. No glue. Vintage hand drill, sextant base, brass lamp finial, vintage star safe dial, salad tongs and some wood nuts and bolts...  Turning the safe dial spins the sextant and finial.

Hmbab2000
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:16:53 pm »

I swear I'm like a dog in this forum, everything i see is like a squirrel and i have to chase it...

I got some progress on the box. The 4" glass portal is drying in place, it'll need a few more fills here and there to fill the edge gaps, but you get the idea.

The stain looks great on the interior piece. I think I'll find some wings nuts instead of screw heads on that piece. I think it will fit the piece. Any thoughts on the key? Its purely for weight...  Maybe paint black? Or rust it up and clear coat it? I like black because of the crank. Give me some old school feedback on this one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: