The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:43:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need advice connecting crank to generator  (Read 467 times)
Hmbab2000
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: April 25, 2017, 04:09:49 pm »

I'm trying to connect a few pieces but am having a hard time.

I need to connect the crank from this pepper mill to the generator shaft.  The pepper crank is threaded but is over sized for the generator shaft.  The shaft is round with a center that is threaded. Any thoughts?

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:06:54 pm »

How about a tube that fits nicely over the shaft, sized to let the shaft sit flush with the other side of the hole, and a screw and washer that goes into the hole in the shaft to keep it all in place. If a bit loose, some loktite or epoxy will keep it all together.

Thus:-
                     |
|---    ===     |  --+
                     |
Where |---   is the shaft with cog

===  is the tube
           --+   is the screw
         |
         |        is the crank wheel
         |

Hope this makes sense?

HP

(egad! Ascii art! I apologise... Embarrassed

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Hmbab2000
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:38:42 pm »

That's a certain possibility.  I'd really love to utilize the existing thread of the crank and not see an exposed screw.  But perhaps a nice brass flathead...

So i understand.  Your proposing a sleeve over the existing shaft to fill the crank hole.  Then find a screw that fits the threading of the shaft, drill through the crank arm, and secure?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:44:36 pm »

Another option would be to sleeve the shaft as above, but thread the outside of the sleeve to match the thread in the crank. I don't know if you're set up for that sort of thing, though.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Hmbab2000
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:36:12 pm »

You pulled the thought from my brain. The sizing is so slight though. Still need to attach the crank shaft. ..

Or perhaps a steel sleeve tube over the generator shaft,  a pin through the existing shaft hole (see pictures above), then thread the sleeve.  I'm only stopped by finding the sleeve, or if I can find it. I may have to enlarge the current threaded hole based on sleeve thickness. Is cast iron hard to drill and tap?
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:16:54 pm »

That's a certain possibility.  I'd really love to utilize the existing thread of the crank and not see an exposed screw.  But perhaps a nice brass flathead...

So i understand.  Your proposing a sleeve over the existing shaft to fill the crank hole.  Then find a screw that fits the threading of the shaft, drill through the crank arm, and secure?

Not quite; the shaft seems to be a fit in the hole- assumed from the 2nd photo- so the sleeve on the shaft would be shorter than the shaft but wide enough for the crank wheel to sit on it when on the shaft. The screw than holds the crank against the sleeve, screwing into the threaded? hole in the shaft, so no drilling required.

As the honourable von Corax mentioned, threading the sleeve would be good too  Smiley

HP
Hmbab2000
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 12:56:08 am »

Problem solved...
A small brass plumbing fitting from hardware store, some drilling and filing, waa laa..

oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:25:48 am »

Yes, when you have problems like that, look for an adapter. Try to get one that at least fits the hole, and, worst case, has a hole in it too small for the shaft. Holes can easily be drilled larger, and tapped with threads if necessary.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:53:49 pm »

Aha! Nicely done. Smiley
And a spring clip to boot, making for easy removal!

HP
Hmbab2000
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:09 am »

Now that it's a working unit, it's being refined. A little heavier since the crank action isn't "easy" and the brass is so soft, i dont want it to tear. 

Thank you for the inspiration...

I'm making a slide viewer with hand generated power to energize a 12v light. I harvested several pieces and parts to make a unique piece.  Here's a progress picture...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: