The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 07:39:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Auction that we all TRAGICALLY missed. "Legend" Fans MUST See this.  (Read 748 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: April 24, 2017, 07:16:48 pm »

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?Order=auctioned&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=&SaleCode=AS16&ID=r0244

Nicodemos Legend's Off-Road Vehicle, sold in 2016 for $ 6,050.

Used in the 1995 Legend TV series. The vehicle is essentially a volkswagen beetle dune buggy, retro designed with a wicker body, a dummy steam boiler, and wood spoke wheels.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:17:44 pm »

I LOVE it!  This could be hand-built by a good craftsman.  Re-route the exhaust to emerge from the fake boiler's smokestack.  The wheels would be the big problem, at least for me...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 10:59:37 pm »

It has a volkswagen engine and automatic transmission. Most likely it has a shortened beetle chassis or one of those kit car frames designed to take a VW engine, because that is what dune buggy builders use, and this was definitely inspired by a 1960's era dune buggy.

You can get the frame and the engine (though they are probably getting scarcer these days).

The wheels have to be custom; maybe from a carriage maker; maybe from whoever supplies vintage car restorers. Or they could be cast in aluminum (like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang).

The tough part would be the wicker basket. You might have to track down whoever made the original.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 02:49:44 am »

Automatic transmission for a classic rear engine VW sedan? Was there ever such a thing? Even for the latest first generation beetles made in Mexico, I never saw that.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 04:51:12 am »

Yes, there was an automatic Beetle; it was produced in the late 1970's, for several years right before the new emissions standards halted beetle sales in the United States. The words "Volkswagen Automatic" were in small metal letters on the back end of the car.

The automatic was probably chosen so that the actors would not have to shift gears while filming; a stick shift just doesn't have that steam-powered feel that this prop car needed.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 02:07:44 am »

Thanks for posting that. It has led me down a long and windy road to a Richard Dean Anderson tv show that was never shown (to my knowledge) in Australia. Legend sounds like Macgyver crossed with Wild Wild West.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 04:23:46 am »

Legend sounds like Macgyver crossed with Wild Wild West.
That's pretty much how I remember it, except that it costarred John de Lancie, so there were occasional Star Trek references as well.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 07:18:13 pm »

Thanks for posting that. It has led me down a long and windy road to a Richard Dean Anderson tv show that was never shown (to my knowledge) in Australia. Legend sounds like Macgyver crossed with Wild Wild West.

Sorontar

You might be able to find the show on official or unofficial DVDs. Dean's character was quite different from MacGyver; a cynical, hard-drinking, womanizing author who takes the identity of one of his characters to protect the character's reputation and to encourage book sales.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:09:29 am »

Legend has been very hard to find, but was finally re-released on DVD a year or so ago.  Your friendly neighbourhood Amazon should be able to oblige.  Purists, apparently, are distraught the original theme music hasn't been used.

We enjoyed it overall, but the first few episodes seemed better then later ones, where Anderson seemed to have got bored with it and was just playing it for laughs.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 10:20:36 pm »

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?Order=auctioned&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=&SaleCode=AS16&ID=r0244

Nicodemos Legend's Off-Road Vehicle, sold in 2016 for $ 6,050.

Used in the 1995 Legend TV series. The vehicle is essentially a volkswagen beetle dune buggy, retro designed with a wicker body, a dummy steam boiler, and wood spoke wheels.

I don't know how I missed this series altogether. And even more surprised that anyone in the cast, or public could even pronounce the name "Huitzilopochtli Ramos"  Grin
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 11:06:03 pm »

I checked around the internet to see what it would cost to build a regular volkswagen dune buggy from parts. You can't do it for under $10,000.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:18:25 am »

I don't know how I missed this series altogether. And even more surprised that anyone in the cast, or public could even pronounce the name "Huitzilopochtli Ramos"  Grin

A good point.  As I recall, in the show he was just called 'Ramos'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: