The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:07:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: working exposed gears / cogs etc. Good / bad idea? *UPDATE - PICS!  (Read 1205 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 20, 2017, 10:34:03 pm »

So by now we all know there are two main trains of thought about the use of cogs and gears for decoration, and I know which side I fall upon under most situations. However my current dilemma is due to a project I'm currently building, which has a number of internal and possibly external working gears (as in the gears all mesh and will be turning during use of the machine).

The issue is that any exposed external gears are going to prone to things like clothes, long hair, wires, and the cat's tail etc. becoming entwined within as they turn.

Should I keep them confined to the internals of the machines case where they can be viewed via a large case side window or use them externally in addition to the internal ones??   Undecided

I really would like some opinions. While the exposed gears will look awesome, they do present a hazard (though not one that will pose any real or lasting injury). Is it worth the risk? Is there something I'm missing that would make this safer? Better to keep moving parts behind glass? - Please comment!  Smiley

For reference the gears are made of thin laser cut wood and the largest is around 4" with five smaller sizes down to a little under 1 inch.
The gears will be driven electrically which allows me to adjust the speed (will be used as an indicator of the machine "working" harder) but only the largest and slower gears will be exposed outside of the case to avoid nasty accidents...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:10:05 am by Siliconous Skumins » Logged

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:58:09 pm »

Hmm.
When I first saw your post, I was all in for exposed
Then I was swayed towards 'behind glass'...
Then... big gears...

*idea*

How about an outer frame, that flows across and between the various gear axles, making nice curved windows that show the workings.
'Hazardous' areas could be glazed, and empty 'windows' could have, say, fire behind a mica panel...

Just popped into my noggin, it did.  Wink

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:35:36 am »

Could the external gears be enclosed in transparent cast resin guards? It would give you the best of both worlds.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 03:57:01 am »

Ah My Dear Herr Skummins -

Life itself is a risk!
to live and breathe unencumbr'd !
Gears are ART!

AAAAHhhhhhh  My NOSE!

how about, some exposed gears , using soft solder bits as shear pins?
if the shear pin is soft enough even a paper jam could shear them safely.

just  a thought
yhs
prof ( counting my fingers... and toes ... and nose !) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:03:24 am »

With how much speed and torque would the gears be driven?  All the same, some kind of barrier to prevent accidental contact would be good.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:04:48 pm »

Thin mesh screen, placed a tad away so if anything passes through it may not reach (1/2").
Possibly with a ornated screen/what-have-you in front of that to look nicer(?).

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 12:26:38 pm »

Personally I would go for glass/ acrylic (acrylic can be drilled, shaped) not for safety reasons really, but us blokes make stuff that looks cool and never think of the potential dust trap and nightmare that follows a few months later, now, I don't want to spend unecessary time in my life trying to unclag fiddly areas of creations. lighting could also add to the exposure of the gears.

Ramble over, now where did I put that feather duster and sandblaster?................

Wish I had a maid........  Roll Eyes  Sad

steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 05:53:33 pm »

Perhaps a grill that would prevent the cat from rubbing against the gears but still leave them visible?
I'm picturing something like a car front grill (grille? have I got the right word?), ornate vertical bars that stick out a couple of inches. 
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:35:32 pm »

What about a safety cover made of an ornate brass mesh like in radiator covers

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 07:53:30 pm »

Exposed gears always add more interest I find.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
selectedgrub
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 07:46:52 am »

However my current dilemma is due to a project I'm currently building,....

Nothing to add but I look forward to seeing a thread on it.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 06:22:49 am »

the gears are made of thin laser cut wood and the largest is around 4" with five smaller sizes down to a little under 1 inch.

The problem will be protecting the gears from onlookers, not protecting the onlookers from the gears.

I've cased up machinery like this.

The case is polycarbonate. That's much tougher than acrylic, and can be bent, cut and drilled without cracking. The fittings are brass, from Home Depot, and the base is pine stained mahogany. The outer edges of the transparent parts which aren't corners are brass "came" used for stained glass work.
cossoft
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 01:21:43 am »

Who cares about the odd child's finger? They have others and it would be a practical learning experience.  What's the machine do???
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 03:46:13 pm »

I'd second this idea, or suggest a wooden or metal fretwork grille kind of thing. Concertinas' levers and other  mechanical parts on the outward sides of the box ends are protected in such manner, and if the mesh/piercework or fretwork is open enough (has holes just large enough) and are of a non- concealing color or brightness, they showcase the innards and add a decorative touch as well (the earliest metal-fretwork-ended Wheatstone and Lachenal concertinas also being practically period-specific to the usual (Victorian/Edwardian) mileu of SteamPunk, there is thus a sort of "precedent" for this type of protection).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 08:29:07 am »

What's the machine do???
This.
R. K. Beetle
Deck Hand

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 08:52:03 pm »

Agreed. This would also lend an air of mystery to the inner workings, as well as help to hide the fact that the gears are made of wood.
Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 04:42:44 am »

That is both cool and nifty. Watching it, I can just smell the machine oil.
R. K. Beetle
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »

That's awesome! Where the heck did you get ticker tape?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 02:48:30 am »

Sorry for late reply (been busy with work in real life), however I must say thanks for some interesting suggestions - got me thinking!

Will update this thread with some pics of what I'm building, just need to do some assembly first.

However in the meantime I have completed a quick project which I will soon post up in another thread. Something to keep you going...  Grin
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 03:09:12 am »

Here are a few pics of the case I'm constructing. It was a previously abandoned project that was also a computer case mod, I have since removed the old (now obsolete) hardware and external modifications and made a new replacement side panel.

This will now house a water cooled / peltier cooled Raspberry Pi 3 computer, which will hopefully be running at something around 1.5Ghz

The gears will be both internal (viewable through a window or porthole feature in the side panel) and external where they will all be in rotation, and possibly varying the speed in relation to the work being done by the processor chip.

Here are all the laser cut wood gears I have (courtesy of oomlout.co.uk) allong with a few random pieces of connecting plates / bars:

I was thinking about having some interesting patern of gears on the outside of the case, something that looks pleasing to the eye. Or maybe random would be better?...

Something like these:

**edit - seems photobucket has crapped out on a couple of the images, they are being displayed wrong, but I can't be bothered to sort it out at the moment... Roll Eyes
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 05:41:27 am »

Busy, busy, Mr Skumins, nice work!
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 06:14:13 am »

That's awesome! Where the heck did you get ticker tape?
Had it custom made in China. I resell to Teletype collectors;I had to buy 500 spools.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 08:16:10 pm »

Photobucket might have relocated the images; I'm not seeing them.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 03:59:35 am »

Photobucket might have relocated the images; I'm not seeing them.

Seems fine to me....

Will have some update on this soon, think I've had an idea about how to mount and drive the external gear (modified PC fans).  Wink
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 05:47:51 am »

What is the supposed function of the mechanism in question - Meaning the box and gears et al (just curious)?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: