The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 02:44:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea for a thread-not sure if it would be appropriate or where to put it...  (Read 432 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« on: April 15, 2017, 05:47:48 pm »

I know in the Tactile section there are a couple of threads regarding restorations and building of replica Victorian machines and suchlike (for example the one I started myself regarding the construction of an 1890s railway locomotive)- and they're always very informative and interesting and perhaps introduce BG members to projects that they otherwise would have missed entirely. 

But to get to the nub of it- these things cost money, or rather, they rely on crowdsourcing and fundraising appeals to get anywhere. 

The idea I'm pondering is whether it would be acceptable to set up a thread somewhere on the boards, not asking for money directly or anything remotely like that of course, but a thread where when people come across these fundraising appeals they can put the contact details and a bit of information about the project into that thread so as to make the wider BG community aware of them, so individual BG members could donate if they felt so inclined. 

Naturally any donations made by BG members would be entirely at their own risk and discretion and BG itself would play no part in any transactions.  The intention of the thread would be merely to publicise that x/y/z is seeking money to do 1/2/3

But as I say I'm not sure if such a thread would be desirable or appropriate, and I'm not sure exactly where it would best fit?- I would guess Trading?

What does everybody else think?

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 06:12:57 am »

So basically a "Fund Me Index" thread? 

It's got its pros and cons... Let's see what other moderators think...

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:26:02 pm »

It certainly has potential. However, (just to throw my tuppence in as a member) I think there should be a demarcation between highlighting fundraising sites for 'period appropriate' restoration/recreation projects (such as the one Mr. Harrison has mentioned and other similar examples, such as the A1 locomotive Trust's new build) and personal/business projects.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:34:46 pm »

Exactly so, I agree entirely with that and (I would hope) the BG community would keep the thread within those limits.
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:24:36 pm »

I like the idea.  Much like all the other consolidation threads, it means we can find gobs of information on one subject in one place, rather than using search, which throws in a bunch of usually-unrelated references.  And Trading was the section I immediately thought of as well.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 12:42:31 pm »

Personal/business projects i would quite happily seen left in 'Trading'.

Funding for public restorations of heritage sites should be separate.

And so the heading of any new thread needs to make that very clear.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:02:31 pm »

Duly noted on the heading note- if it were to be titled something along the lines of "Fund us- Heritage restoration projects that we can help", would that be clear enough?  Also, in saying it should be separate, are we saying that such a thread should be away from Trading then?  (Considering it would be a thread for historic conservation and preservation, maybe the 'Historical' subfora would also be an appropriate home for it, if we want to keep it away from personal and business fund me threads).

Of course, I'll wait for a formal yea/nay from the Moderators before acting on the idea.     
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:36:30 pm »

Duly noted on the heading note- if it were to be titled something along the lines of "Fund us- Heritage restoration projects that we can help", would that be clear enough?  Also, in saying it should be separate, are we saying that such a thread should be away from Trading then?  (Considering it would be a thread for historic conservation and preservation, maybe the 'Historical' subfora would also be an appropriate home for it, if we want to keep it away from personal and business fund me threads).

Of course, I'll wait for a formal yea/nay from the Moderators before acting on the idea.     

I think if we are to limit it to conservation/restoration/recreation historical would perhaps be the best place for it and should hopefully discourage anyone from using for their own ends.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: