The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 12:14:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Long Moustache: An Ethical Issue (?)  (Read 531 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:32:41 pm »

Here's an anecdote to explain what I'm talking about:

Took a stresswalk in the mall this afternoon, as I often do As usual, several people complimented the 'stache, which is normal. The stares and such do not bother me, really, except that today a young girl (looked to be in about eight, maybe less) was walking ahead of me behind  an woman whom  I took to be her Mom; the little girl was turned halfway around and staring at me with big eyes (the 'stache has gotten very long and very droopily curled; the wax keeps it stiffly in shape and position, so it's a kind of an attention-getter) I said "watch out!" as she nearly collided with another walker who cut between her  and her mother. The mother apologized to me for her daughter's staring, and I said it was alright. Didn't really think that much about it right then, but then a similar incident happened a little while later, except that another wide-eyed child was nearly run down by a large dolly piled high with heavy boxes that a clerk was wheeling through the mall.

Driving home, I was struck by the realization that a lot of the "discourteous" behavior I have been experiencing for the past couple of years or so could be (and in retrospect, likely is) caused , again, by people staring at my moustache. people pulling up alongside me and gesticulating or just staring, sometimes taking pictures - suddenly it just sort of dawned on me that just maybe, I, or rather my moustache, have been and am the cause!

It would thus seem that as the possessor of such an attention-getter, perhaps I have somewhat of a responsibility to keep it from becoming a problem.

Anybody who wants to weigh in on this, please do so.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 05:20:35 am »

Ha ha ha ha! I love this forum! I never though about the morality of one's hirsute facial attributes. By the way I mean that in a respectful way - not laughing at you, but with you, as I myself have been cause of a plethora of stares... My look is somewhat polarizing, shall we say?

To be honest, let them stare! You can't be protecting anyone around you and be responsible for accidents  any more than a drop dead gorgeous young lass can be made responsible for turning the heads of young lads at the mall...

I've had people walk out of a public restroom, because when they saw my hair style from the back they thought they were in the wrong gender restroom! Never mind that I was using the urinal!!! After which I'd just tell them "it's just hair dude! Chill out!" and they would laugh it off. Am I responsible for their bladders? I think not!!  Grin

steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:18:22 pm »

So you're saying you're an attractive nuisance?  Grin
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 01:55:24 pm »

I think what he is saying is that his moustache is a weapon of mass distraction.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:56:30 pm »

As long as you don't wear the moustache on your head I think you'll be just fine:

Respectable

Still espectable

Not respectable

Know the difference.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 02:21:37 am »

Ah, hmmm...  an ethical issue?

If you had chosen to go out and about unclothed and painted a bright primary color, then yes.

But your 'stache?   I think not, since you are maintaining yor own sartorial splendor,  and cannot be held accountable for the stares and distractions
of others who apparently have not been taught proper manners.

My Rule of Thumb: do not frighten women, children, or horses. and probably not dogs neither. or cops. definitely do not frighten cops.

distrract them? that's their problem. We all need to maintain a basic focus on our surroundings!

Now ,  a possible Moral issue?

Perhaps, depending upon your philosophical beliefs and persuasions.

One school of thought ( and of certain Buddhist persuasions) maintains that along with "above all else do no harm", that we should be aware of the consequences of our actions and the cascade of effects. However , that "cascade" can be quickly be taken to extremes and leave one paralyzed for fear that *anything* could result in some delitarious affect or other...

The counterpoint to that philosophy is that since we are *each* responsible for our *own* actions, so are others responsible for theirs - such as
staring, or staying focusssed on things like, well, watching where they are walking and not hitting a post with their face!

As J pointed out You can't be protecting anyone around you and be responsible for their accidents

I would opine that "your moustache as a distraction " does not provide a Moral or Ethical issue
-as opposed to-
Setting off an airhorn, or
Setting off fireworks, or
flashing people with laser pointers.

But I admire your thoughtfullness and concern!

yhs
rof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 03:19:14 pm »

So don't go join the Blue Man Group.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 08:00:43 pm »

A variation on this is what I refer to as, "watch the bearded man eat"..

.. you get used to it  Cheesy
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 12:26:46 am »

Whoops, things got hectic around this neck o' th' woods, and I didn't get to answer anybody's replies! Sorry about that.

Ha ha ha ha! I love this forum! I never though about the morality of one's hirsute facial attributes. By the way I mean that in a respectful way - not laughing at you, but with you, as I myself have been cause of a plethora of stares... My look is somewhat polarizing, shall we say?

To be honest, let them stare! You can't be protecting anyone around you and be responsible for accidents  any more than a drop dead gorgeous young lass can be made responsible for turning the heads of young lads at the mall...

I've had people walk out of a public restroom, because when they saw my hair style from the back they thought they were in the wrong gender restroom! Never mind that I was using the urinal!!! After which I'd just tell them "it's just hair dude! Chill out!" and they would laugh it off. Am I responsible for their bladders? I think not!!  Grin

That's pretty much the way I've always thought about the way I dress, etc. (I've always tended toward western/anachronistic, so I've kind of stood out for most of my life).

So you're saying you're an attractive nuisance?  Grin

Interestingly enough, there was a girl I used to get to help me whenever I would go in for supplies at a local (now defunct since about twenty-five years ago) Art supply store; a Mom and Pop equivalent of the present-day Hobby Lobby chain). She gave me a rhinestone rivet star to put on the epaulet of my bomber jacket, saying that I needed a star because I was "A General Nuisance..." Wink

I think what he is saying is that his moustache is a weapon of mass distraction.

Hmmm...

As long as you don't wear the moustache on your head I think you'll be just fine:

Respectable

Still espectable

Not respectable

Know the difference.

Great Deities of Variable Persuasions!

Ah, hmmm...  an ethical issue?

If you had chosen to go out and about unclothed and painted a bright primary color, then yes.

But your 'stache?   I think not, since you are maintaining yor own sartorial splendor,  and cannot be held accountable for the stares and distractions
of others who apparently have not been taught proper manners.

My Rule of Thumb: do not frighten women, children, or horses. and probably not dogs neither. or cops. definitely do not frighten cops.

distrract them? that's their problem. We all need to maintain a basic focus on our surroundings!

Now ,  a possible Moral issue?

Perhaps, depending upon your philosophical beliefs and persuasions.

One school of thought ( and of certain Buddhist persuasions) maintains that along with "above all else do no harm", that we should be aware of the consequences of our actions and the cascade of effects. However , that "cascade" can be quickly be taken to extremes and leave one paralyzed for fear that *anything* could result in some delitarious affect or other...

The counterpoint to that philosophy is that since we are *each* responsible for our *own* actions, so are others responsible for theirs - such as
staring, or staying focusssed on things like, well, watching where they are walking and not hitting a post with their face!

As J pointed out You can't be protecting anyone around you and be responsible for their accidents

I would opine that "your moustache as a distraction " does not provide a Moral or Ethical issue
-as opposed to-
Setting off an airhorn, or
Setting off fireworks, or
flashing people with laser pointers.

But I admire your thoughtfullness and concern!

yhs
rof marvel

Well, thanks!

So don't go join the Blue Man Group.

I wonder if they'd take a guy with a blue moustache...

A variation on this is what I refer to as, "watch the bearded man eat"..

.. you get used to it  Cheesy

LOL. I'm getting there...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: