The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 11:10:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New outfit ideas. Times two?  (Read 1058 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« on: April 06, 2017, 10:08:17 am »

I have been wanting a new sp outfit for a while now. So i have been putting down some ideas

Here is the first. What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:31:55 pm by Caledonian » Logged

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:47:09 pm »

I like coat, and the yellow is certainly striking. So are you planning for a mask to go with it?

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:36:15 pm »

I like coat, and the yellow is certainly striking. So are you planning for a mask to go with it?

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you. I was planning on a embroidered bandana, but a mask might also be an idea
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 06:47:25 pm »

Thank you. I was planning on a embroidered bandana, but a mask might also be an idea

I'm so sorry, I read this as an embroidered banana (which could be handy if you got peckish on an expedition)!
I like the details on the shoulders, looks like they could be chains?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 05:17:52 am »

Perhaps instead of chains this is just a built in rain cape - like an overcoat?

I like the fact that you're prototyping the costume graphically. We should have more of that in Brassgoggles.

Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 04:08:06 am »

That character looks mad as a hatter.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:58:13 am »

That character looks mad as a hatter.

This is correct.
Also, this outfit is to double as a TSU (toy soldiers unite) uniform

A start has been made
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 04:15:08 pm »

This may sound odd, but my favorite thing about this outfit is the shoulders! In the drawing, I can't tell if the little loopy things are chains hanging off, structured fabric, or even some sort of shoulder armor. Whichever it is, I love it! I also love the use of yellow; it seems most steampunks avoid vibrant colors at all costs (unless brown counts as vibrant). I'm happy to see our community is getting a little brighter!

- Capt. Annemarie

Also, would it be weird if I tried to draw you in your outfit? I've been lacking inspiration lately but I want to try that coat!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:27:53 pm by annevpreussen » Logged

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 06:11:46 pm »

This may sound odd, but my favorite thing about this outfit is the shoulders! In the drawing, I can't tell if the little loopy things are chains hanging off, structured fabric, or even some sort of shoulder armor. Whichever it is, I love it! I also love the use of yellow; it seems most steampunks avoid vibrant colors at all costs (unless brown counts as vibrant). I'm happy to see our community is getting a little brighter!

- Capt. Annemarie

Also, would it be weird if I tried to draw you in your outfit? I've been lacking inspiration lately but I want to try that coat!

Thank you! I have seen this trent as well and it is a shame indeed (though i have seen bright green or red details here and there. Yellow really seems not done).
 The loopy things are supposed to be chains, though i must find a way to make those without tieing my arms to the side of my body.

You totally can! I am quite honoured you'd want to do that! (Anything you need? Reference, maybe?)
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 09:27:38 pm »

Thank you! I have seen this trent as well and it is a shame indeed (though i have seen bright green or red details here and there. Yellow really seems not done).
 The loopy things are supposed to be chains, though i must find a way to make those without tieing my arms to the side of my body.

You totally can! I am quite honoured you'd want to do that! (Anything you need? Reference, maybe?)

I don't think you should have a problem with the chains as long as you make them loose enough and make sure they don't catch on anything when you move/raise your arms

And nope, no references! I already kind of creepily stalked through your recent posts to find one of your face, and you already have this one here. Just so you know, it probably won't look much like you anyway, but as this is the first time I've felt inspired to draw in ages I figured I should jump on the chance  Grin
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 04:34:27 pm »

I think of ordering these lenses /just/ to pull the outfit a little further...

annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 05:33:48 pm »

Oh my goodness, do it! I love colored lenses because they give an outfit a subtle unnatural look that would work really well with something like this! Make sure you get them from a reputable site, though!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 10:56:46 am »

I got the insignia/badges of my old girlscout uniform to reuse on the stash on this one

Oh my goodness, do it! I love colored lenses because they give an outfit a subtle unnatural look that would work really well with something like this! Make sure you get them from a reputable site, though!

I will! Having never worn lenses before, i am a bit scared though.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 11:41:13 am »

I got the insignia/badges of my old girlscout uniform to reuse on the stash on this one

I am a scout for the army of toy soldiers, so i thought it would be nice to incorporate some elements of my years as a regular scout.

annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 10:10:04 pm »

I don't wear contacts every day, but I do put them in (colored or regular) for cosplay or other costume things. Here are my tips!

- Always, always, always wash your hands before handling your contacts. They say it on the box, and they mean it.

- Almost all contacts have a way to make sure they aren't inside-out. It should say somewhere on the box or case how to tell for that pair.

- Take your time when putting them in. It's going to be scary and difficult the first time, since you're in essence trying to introduce a foreign piece of plastic to your eye, which is something your eye isn't chill with. Go slow and be patient if you keep blinking the contact out.

- Your eyes are going to water like heck, so save any makeup until after the contact is in.

- If you need prescription contacts because your eyes are weird like mine, your contacts will need to be the right way up for you to see properly. If your vision is blurry after putting them in, blink, blink, blink, and they should correct themselves. If not, take them out and try again.

- You need to blink more often than normal with contacts in! I know it seems silly, but your eyes aren't used to them and will dry out way more easily, leading to a creepy red tinge in the whites of your eyes. Try to get in the habit of blinking regularly, and...

- BRING EYE DROPS. Oh my god, they are life savers. They come in teeny tiny bottles that can easily be slipped into a bag, tucked into a pocket, or even hidden somewhere in the folds of your clothes, if you're desperate. Eye drops also come in handy for other things, like if your contact gets into a weird position in your eye. A few drops will loosen it up!

- Never ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER sleep in contacts. Don't. Even if you have the kind you can technically sleep in, don't.

- Since colored contacts are fairly pricey, it's a good idea to store them. Make sure you have a clean place to store your contacts that you can fill with solution (or eye drops if you're cheap like me, lol (it's the same stuff)) to keep them wet. Even though it's tempting, you probably shouldn't wear your contacts for more than a few months. See what the sellers have to say, and follow their directions.

- Circle lenses are a bit bigger than normal contact lenses, and are a bit more difficult to put in/take out. Scleral lenses look cool af but are even more difficult than circle lenses to work with.

- Taking out contacts can be as daunting as putting them in. My method is to use my thumb and pointer finger to kind of pinch the contact out; this works pretty well for me. Some people "fold" them out of the eye, and some people can even blink them out. You'll find a way that works for you! I'd suggest trimming your fingernails before taking them out, though, because while you use the middle of your finger to put the contacts in, you're probably going to have to use the tips of your fingers to get it out again. Avoid long nails near your eye, even if that means messing up your manicure.

Good luck and have fun freaking people out with your unnaturally colored eyes!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:15:11 pm by annevpreussen » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 05:28:21 pm »

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely keep it in mind.

I have started on the back piece

And shoulder bits
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 09:58:09 pm »

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely keep it in mind.

I have started on the back piece

And shoulder bits

Looking very interesting!

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 09:54:08 am »

yesterday we did a test engraving for the shoulder patches

i now have to find a way to isolate the mouth from this logo:

to have it embroidered on the bandana.
then i think i will have an armband made to carry my division logo, but i'm not yet sure if i want to have the Waterratten or DSTEAM(Dashing and Stupendous Evaporated Aqua Masters) most visible. waterratten is the dutch division, but DSTEAM is the steampunk special ops devision...

the Waterratten logo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the DSTEAM logo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 10:32:56 pm »

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 10:53:41 pm »

Very smart - the tartan cravat stands out very nicely against the black, white and grey. A new topper too?

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 07:16:36 am »

Very smart - the tartan cravat stands out very nicely against the black, white and grey. A new topper too?

Yours,
Miranda.
Thank you! The hat is indeed new, i got ot as a gift from our local hatter. It is a few sizes too big, however, so i cannot wear it untill i find a way tonmake the rim a little smaller from the inside.

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 08:57:08 am »

Yours,
Miranda.
Thank you! The hat is indeed new, i got ot as a gift from our local hatter. It is a few sizes too big, however, so i cannot wear it untill i find a way tonmake the rim a little smaller from the inside.

Draft excluder strip?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 06:30:21 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Folded newspaper inside the sweatband is/was the go to method I always understood.

Though you may want to go for thin strips of foam or sponge which offers the advantage of absorbing sweat and it can be removed to stop the hat becoming malodourous.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 07:22:44 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Hmm... 1980s style big hair? Maybe not, if you go with the hair the correspondingly massive shoulder pads would ruin the line of the jacket...

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 10:33:30 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Folded newspaper inside the sweatband is/was the go to method I always understood.

Though you may want to go for thin strips of foam or sponge which offers the advantage of absorbing sweat and it can be removed to stop the hat becoming malodourous.

The man that made the hat suggested i added an extra line of leather around the inside. The sweatband inside this hat has no room to stuff anything behind, so that wouldn't work.

Also, here the outfit takes two different routes here. I already showed the version useing the white waistcoat, the other features all the yellow:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: