The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 07:25:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Medals - HELP PLEASE  (Read 607 times)
asterjack
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 05, 2017, 10:35:16 am »

Hi folks, I want to make some steampunk medals but just cant find the clasps and suspension bars anywhere. I want the medals to look 'authentic' but I can't find the fittings anywhere..... can anyone help please... I am in the UK... Thanks
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:38:38 am by asterjack » Logged
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 08:01:30 pm »

Anything on here?

http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/ribbon.htm

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:59:11 pm »

I was looking at fittings for braces (suspenders for USians) and wondered if they might do?

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 12:49:12 pm »

not the suspension bars or clasps

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
asterjack
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:52:00 pm »

Thanks guys.... it is the suspension bars and clasps that I am looking for but unable to source.... I-ll keep looking
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 04:50:24 pm »

If  I understand correctly, you're talking about the part that the ribbon loops over at the top and the part that it loops back up through at the bottom, as in 18th and 19th century military and other awards; the problem with sourcing something like that for present-day faux medals is that yes, they were being made and sold  commonly at one time (back in the late 80s and early 90's on this side of the pond, when such things as faux medals and faux 18th-to-19th-century military-style clothing - officers frocks, greatcoats and all that - were haut couture, pardon my bad whatever-lingo-that-is), but are pretty hard to find these days outside of military surplus houses - and in those cases, they tend to be for specific items and classes of real-world military awards, which might get you into trouble in some countries.

There are other types of findings that can be adapted. The braces/suspenders clasps, for example; you'd have to detach or literally break off some of their component parts, but they should work. Also. the t-bar buttonhole fastener for a watch fob tends to work well as a bottom suspension bar, or a component of such for another example; it's all in how one adapts the item. There's also the option of using a pin brooch finding as the top suspension bar and draping/looping the ribbon around that, and suspending the medal from say, a jump ring at the bottom, a la more modern medals common today.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Mr. Syson
Officer

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:38:27 pm »

Worth a look

https://youtu.be/8h8by1lZ6Og

Also

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Medal+bar
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: