The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 02:51:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos from the Days When Thousands of Cables Crowded the Skies  (Read 711 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: April 02, 2017, 11:29:38 pm »

What A Sight It Was:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/photos-from-the-days-when-thousands-of-cables-crowded-t-1629961917

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
John_R_Isadore
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:51:45 am »

So what happened to the phone lines? Were they replaced with different versions, or were they all moved underground?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 04:15:45 am »

Modern phone lines are all underground (at least in these parts), and most of the big multipair trunk lines have been replaced with fibre.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:41:41 am »

One of the things that called my attention in the USA, when I first came in 1987 was how popular wooden posts and power cables were, even in middle class neighbourhoods in San Diego, California. By the 1970s in Mexico City almost all wires had been buried along avenues of upper and middle class neighbourhoods, while in poor neighbourhoods electrical and telephone posts tended to be made of steel or a combination of steel and steel reinforced concrete. The wooden poles full of tar, bolts and cracking from multiple holes made by the special boot "knife cleats" that workers use to climb them seemed like a throwback in time to me, and a unique feature of North America.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 04:07:43 am »

I have overhead phone and power.  Most of the country is underground. They haven't got round  the  2  million or do residential  dwellings  to do it.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 06:03:53 pm »

Can you imagine being the poor bloke who had to sort that mess out?!? ("Hey, Jimmy, can you come in early tomorrow?")

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: