The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 09:20:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Book Clubs  (Read 386 times)
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« on: March 30, 2017, 09:36:03 am »

Hello everybody, a couple of questions if I may?

1) Is there, or has there ever been, a steampunk book club on this forum? If so, where is it and what is it called please?

2) Do any of you meet in a face to face book club that mainly centres on Steampunk literature?

OK, so that is technically three questions...
or possibly four!

Thank You

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 12:18:29 pm »

Hello everybody, a couple of questions if I may?

1) Is there, or has there ever been, a steampunk book club on this forum? If so, where is it and what is it called please?

2) Do any of you meet in a face to face book club that mainly centres on Steampunk literature?

OK, so that is technically three questions...
or possibly four!

Thank You

Interesting question (s)

In this day and age of Internet, what exactly is the meaning of a "book club"? And would some of the threads in the Textual section not already serve that purpose (discussing and sharing literature, that is, but obviously not exchanging physically printed matter, obviously)? Otherwise, I'd say why not start one?

Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:54:07 pm »

Well, a friend told me about a couple of book clubs she is in. The premise is that all members read the same book and meet up to discuss it and share experiences. So, it is taking a social approach to something that is usually a solitary activity. I have raised the subject here because I am currently reading my way through the Burton and Swinburne series written by Mark Hodder. The storyline involves many real, historical characters re-written to fit the Steampunk timeline. The books also link with one another, building up an overall story as well as each novel's individual tale. I think there will be benefit sharing each other's interpretation of the plot, helping understand how the historic character's real life is influencing the plot (I know a bit about explorers and military people, less so political and not really at all with intellectuals!) Also, by having several readers, plot links from earlier stories are more likely to be remembered and shared with the group.

Unless several people on Brassgoggles  just happen to all be reading the same book at the same time, the book club thing can't happen and if it did, the thread would be so full of spoilers it may affect the enjoyment of other readers who are not at the same point yet. I think we see this in the What Are You Reading Thread.

Now, there may at some time have been an on-line book club in this forum and it would be useful to dig up the bones to see what they were like and how well they worked. I can't recall seeing one, but this place is so huge that doesn't mean it didn't exist!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 12:01:12 am »

Unless several people on Brassgoggles  just happen to all be reading the same book at the same time, the book club thing can't happen and if it did, the thread would be so full of spoilers it may affect the enjoyment of other readers who are not at the same point yet. I think we see this in the What Are You Reading Thread.

Welcome to the fine art of herding cats!
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 01:38:50 pm »

Welcome to the fine art of herding cats!

Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: