The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 08:13:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Da Vinci's bridge  (Read 527 times)
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« on: March 16, 2017, 10:02:41 pm »

Finally got around to making a model of it. I would like to use the concept as a roof truss, but my yard is running out of shed space.

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:13:16 am »

Pencils can be handy little things!

I like the idea of this - a self-supporting system. I do wonder how it would go as a roof truss, or even a bridge on a large enough scale. Would you suspend the footpath/road, I wonder, or would it be better as an up-and-over?
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:16:26 am »

DaVinci intended it as a quick bridge for military units to throw across medium sized gaps. Maybe extra bits each side which ramp up.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:37:18 am »

There are quite a few variations on the theme. One person uses the technique to build a shed roof, so maybe a bigger shed is in order!
cossoft
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:02 am »

I think that Leonardo was actually an alien, otherwise how else could he have come up with all that weird stuff?  Helicopters anyone???

Do you really intend to build a shed with it?  Talking with authority as one who has successfully boarded out his loft, I think that it will take some extra work to realise this.  It's extremely inefficient as it relies on member bending and friction to hold the whole thing together.  Have you found that it's awfully flexy too?  These are some of the reasons why no one uses this truss form.  I'd be hesitant to enter if the shed was more than a couple of meters span and covered with anything heavier than tarpaulin.

P.S. How do I change my login to Buzzkill?
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:03:06 am »

As with any truss the timber sizes would have to be appropriately calculated. And though in theory it holds itself together, in practice some sort of connectors would have to be used. It's probably not the most efficient design, or it would likely be used more, though I have seen at least one iteration on youtube. And I have no more room!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: