The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 07:18:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Anime: Gauge Girls  (Read 756 times)
SgtBash96
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« on: March 14, 2017, 03:28:47 pm »

Hi, everyone

I'm sure most of us here have come up with ideas for manga, anime, JRPGs etc before and my post is about such thing. For years, I've always been a big fan of steampunk and steam locomotives in general, but I couldn't find much in the way of anime that had that in it (I know that Steamboy and a few other series that have elements of it) but after seeing Kancolle, it gave me an idea that and the few friends I told it to thought was cool...basically I'm just asking for more opinions.

For those that know a bit of railroad history (and correct me if I get this wrong) a lot of railroads at the beginning were privatized and owned by companies that built them, this is where my idea comes in. Like in Kancolle, the girls would be armored up like War Trains from WW I and possible II, with some early diesels and possibly the early electric trains (not sold on that idea yet) being used as soldier's to battle over rail lines, stations and even citys with Yards. Unlike Kancolle, the girls wouldn't be the embodiment of ships, but more of enhanced by a spiritual bond between them and their equipment, since their armor and gear are made from old trains (I'll explain later) and not all would be fighters, there would be other types, freight, passengers, yard workers etc.

Their basic equipment set up for all is a sort of platform like a rail boogie (it’s what the wheels on a carriage is called) with the boiler carried by the girls, with pipes funneling the steam down into the platform and the controls either on the platform or somewhere on the girls rig, with a coupler around their waist like a belt (This I'm not 100% on, but I'm open to ideas), but with War Trains they would have some weapons on them with others toed behind or in front, and yes, much like Kancolle depending on the type of train would be their size.

Before I start on this next bit, I'd like you guys to just have a watch of this --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7qSGcTFgzY as it explains my next problem...

Unlike the ships in Kancolle, not a lot of armored trains weren't named like Zaamurets and any that were rarely had any photos taken off them, which makes it hard to create characters in that sense, so what I figured is that to kinda go away from it being 'exact' history like Kancolle. By this I mean, having some trains that weren't ever War Trains...be easier if I explain.

Taking this as if it was a game with a role assignment, we'll use a train I'm sure some of us have heard of 3801, now she was built here in Australia in the middle of the war and was originally painted grey --> http://eurekamodels.com.au/images/locomotives/c38/3801%20grey.jpeg and later painted green and gold --> http://www.australiansteam.com/nsw/3801.jpg .

Now, depending on which role you choose to give her, either Express or War train, would depend on her look and stats. Picking Express would have her painted in green and gold and would have her boiler around her chest with her cab on her back and she wouldn't be armed, but picking her to be a War Train would move her boiler to her arm and have a navel cannon pointing out of the light with a few other types of weapons mounted on her.

You might be thinking its a little out of place to have them like this, put it fits in more with it being alternate history and being steampunk, plus it makes up for the lack of having real armored trains to work off (though there would be some that are armored trains only) and would make for some interesting designs. Like with a Garratt locomotive --> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Class_GMAM_4122_July_2004_(7863980914).jpg Imagine that the fore and rear tenders are on her arms with the boiler sideways on their shoulders, while the girl stands sideways on her platform and if a war train could have four guns mounted on her (its just another example cause I like the idea)

With what I said before about the spiritual connection between the girls and their equipment is that a lot locomotive drivers will say that each steam locomotive has its own personality, like they were a person. That's kind of the premise of the connection, the frames that the girls use are made from old steam locomotives that have become obsolete. So when they have their frames fitted, the bond with the spirit of the old engine and gain their strength and power, allowing them to move the heavy trains.

So that's an idea for the trains, so here's a bit more for the world.

The history of the world runs the same as ours up until the early 1800's where a new type of coal, named Ignas Coal, which burns five times as hot and longer then normal coal. This allows boilers to be built smaller, which is how the older trains were replaced with the Gauge Girls.

Nearly every city and town is covered with rail tracks, which allows the girls to move about with their gear when not attached to carriages, unless they are a narrow gauge or a tram. Each place has central station run by a company branch or company's working together. The stations act as, well, stations, but they are also housing for the girls frames and the girls themselves. Each girl does have a home station where they live and the stations do have rooms for visiting girls to stay in.

I'm sure not sure on say a villain or an organization that would have it out for the trains, but maybe different company's would be fighting over stations and towns, which would be reason enough for trains armed with weapons.

And that's really everything I've come up with at the moment, tell us what you think, what works, what doesn't and what I could change etc any ideas you guys have would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:44:39 am »

Hello, Mr. Sgt Bash, welcome to the forum.

I don't have much constructive feedback, but I'll reply to some of your points:

I'm sure most of us here have come up with ideas for manga, anime, JRPGs etc before and my post is about such thing

You know? I'm not quite sure that most of us have done that in this forum. I do watch Anime and read Manga, but a lot of people in this forum don't engage in the Niponic Moe arts - so don't get discouraged by the lack of responses. I think it may be a generational and cultural gap.

Here in the US, and if I may be so bold, in the UK, the average age of a Steampunk is a bit higher, than say a Japanese or a Mexican Steampunk. Probably related to how young a Steampunk movement is in any country or region - this is a phenomenon I encountered whe I helped form the Steampunk Mexico Forum (about 6 years ago this March).

Anyhow while the number of fans may be low, there are a few members (including from Down Under) who are probably more than just a passing acquintance to Anime and Manga

For those that know a bit of railroad history (and correct me if I get this wrong) a lot of railroads at the beginning were privatized and owned by companies that built them, this is where my idea comes in.

I think you will, however find a couple of railway connoisseurs in the UK, probably our Mr. Harrison who can provide some input in the matter

Like in Kancolle, the girls would be armored up like War Trains from WW I and possible II, with some early diesels and possibly the early electric trains (not sold on that idea yet) being used as soldier's to battle over rail lines, stations and even citys [sic] with Yards.

This is where the generational gap will be most apparent. Even though I like to think of myself an avid reader of Manga, I'm afraid that while I have seen manga revolving about the Kancolle universe in sites like Mangahere and the such, I have actually bypassed most of them - though cute the girls may be, I tend to reel away from any antropomorphisation of machinery (even if I delve into my childhood memories I remember avoiding that subject), and thus I have not watched/read it. I don't know how many of us may know about it save perhaps our British friend CPT_J_Percell, perhaps.

I am why fairly young in mind and bosy, I am old enough, chronologically, to have missed much of the hype on online gaming. I'm afraid I was raise in the 1980s, in a part of the world where computer technology took a but longer to take a foothold in the late 70s and early 80s - so I began to use computers when I came to the USA in the late 1980s and by then in my late teens and early 20s, I had lost all my appetite for computer games - but I'm quite sure there are others who are much better adept to them than me - even older people than me.

For those in Brassgoggles scratching their head as to what Kancolle is, suffice it to say that it is based on an online video game called Kantai Collection (a/k/a Kancolle), the details of which you can find here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantai_Collection

Gameplay
The gameplay is centred upon building squadrons composed of individual characters represented as cards with different attributes, and then sending said squadrons out on missions. Each of the characters are moe anthropomorphisms of World War II naval warships which are depicted as cute girls, known as "Fleet girls" (艦娘 kanmusu?).[10] These personified warships are based on real-life vessels which are explained in detail within the game; the physical characteristics, appearances and personalities of each of the girls correlate in some way to the real-life vessel (for example, ships with a larger displacement tonnage are usually depicted as older girls with more mature bodies, while smaller ships look younger and have less developed figures, with a few exceptions). The player takes on the role of an admiral (提督 teitoku?) and organises their fleets in battle in order to win. Combat is largely automated, and manual actions by the player include micromanagement such as building and repairing.[2][11] The player can organise up to four different fleets.

The Japanese do love their Naval history. From the Meiji Period through the first half of Showa Period (Imperial Japan), that is a common theme for the Japanese. There is an awful lot of Steampunk hidden on those visual memories.

Unlike Kancolle, the girls wouldn't be the embodiment of ships, but more of enhanced by a spiritual bond between them and their equipment, since their armor and gear are made from old trains (I'll explain later) and not all would be fighters, there would be other types, freight, passengers, yard workers etc.
With what I said before about the spiritual connection between the girls and their equipment is that a lot locomotive drivers will say that each steam locomotive has its own personality, like they were a person. That's kind of the premise of the connection, the frames that the girls use are made from old steam locomotives that have become obsolete. So when they have their frames fitted, the bond with the spirit of the old engine and gain their strength and power, allowing them to move the heavy trains.

until the early 1800's where a new type of coal, named Ignas Coal, which burns five times as hot and longer then normal coal. This allows boilers to be built smaller, which is how the older trains were replaced with the Gauge Girls.
Nearly every city and town is covered with rail tracks, which allows the girls to move about with their gear when not attached to carriages, unless they are a narrow gauge or a tram. Each place has central station run by a company branch or company's working together. The stations act as, well, stations, but they are also housing for the girls frames and the girls themselves. Each girl does have a home station where they live and the stations do have rooms for visiting girls to stay in.

So exactly what is the nature of the armour? Some sort of magical link between wearer and machinery? Does the machinery react in the same world or a parallel world?

Are the girls remotely controlling the trains? Are they completely abstract parallel entities? Or are the girls some sort of roaming cyborg? I'm unsure exactly what you're talking about. While in a game context an abstract idea of an antromorphosized machine avatar works, in a Steampunk fictional setting (i.e literary, descriptive) that may not - we are after all talking about steam technolgy - if perhaps accelarated 'a-la Steamboy.

Now, depending on which role you choose to give her, either Express or War train, would depend on her look and stats. Picking Express would have her painted in green and gold and would have her boiler around her chest with her cab on her back and she wouldn't be armed, but picking her to be a War Train would move her boiler to her arm and have a navel cannon pointing out of the light with a few other types of weapons mounted on her.

Interesting visuals  Roll Eyes

Also interesting that you are choosing armoured trains. While picturesque, is that not rather limiting? After all, the mobility of warships provides for a much more diverse plot.

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:48:37 am »

An interesting concept overall with a world of competing armoured steam trains, but if your concept is to go like Kancolle visually I'm afraid I'm in J.Wilhelm's demographic of being too old for watching Girls-whose-mother-presumably-had-drunken-congress-in-an-alley-with-the-Yamato.
The Transformers-partly-converted look of a pretty girl with turrets and funnels etc like tumorous growths is just too jarring for me, and any attempt at a plausible engineering backstory for their creation might be too big a leap.

Personally I'd suggest either sentient trains as a more-mature version of Thomas t.TankEngine et al without the additional complications of arms and legs, or as outwardly conventional trains with an anthropomorphic interface e.g. a hologrammatic AI autopilot or control-panel 'face', or alternatively a full human-form variant character that is the spirit of each train like the girls/weaponry of Upotte, or simply girls as Railway Engineers for your SP battle-wagons like GuP did for WW2 armour.

Anyway, ultimately it's your vision, and Kancolle, trains, and SP do all have followings that might have an overlap somewhere - so have fun and let us know how it goes...

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
SgtBash96
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:33:46 pm »

Greetings to J. Wilhelm and Fairley B. Strange,

Thank you both for your comments and I'll clear up a few things I didn't explain. I copied this off a slightly old post from a different site I'm a part of, and I forgot to read through it and edit it a bit. So, allow me to elaborate and answer you questions.

So exactly what is the nature of the armour? Some sort of magical link between wearer and machinery? Does the machinery react in the same world or a parallel world?

Are the girls remotely controlling the trains? Are they completely abstract parallel entities? Or are the girls some sort of roaming cyborg? I'm unsure exactly what you're talking about. While in a game context an abstract idea of an antromorphosized machine avatar works, in a Steampunk fictional setting (i.e literary, descriptive) that may not - we are after all talking about steam technolgy - if perhaps accelarated 'a-la Steamboy.

Sorry that I didn't explain this well enough, this is a copy from an almost old post from another site I'm on. I didn't go back and read it, which was a mistake on my part.

The idea is that the armour and weapons (when in War Train form) were originally mounted on steam powered exo-suits, but this might not be it, since the link between them and the old trains give them the strength to hold up the boilers and weapons easily. They would also be attached to wheel boogies which would have the running gear and cylinders, with pipes funnelling the steam down to them, but it would only have the wheels that are under the boilers and cabs. so if they are a tender locomotive, they would hall a small sized tender behind them, and the would have a belt with a coupler on it. I'm not sure where the controls would be, but maybe somewhere in the gauntlets the girls ware.

One of the down sides to basing on War trains is that not a lot of the actual real world trains were photographed or had actual names for them, so having different forms depending on what jobs they are given give me more freedom, plus it fits in with the steampunk style I want to have.

With the connection between the girls and their equipment, I don't have a solid idea on it. It's more of a mythos that drivers believe that different locomotives have a personality, that's what it was based off. Other then that, I don't have much else, but I think it works well for the world.

While picturesque, is that not rather limiting? After all, the mobility of warships provides for a much more diverse plot.

Yes, having them limited to rails is rather limiting, but that's why the cities and towns have rail lines practically everywhere. This would also lead to interesting battles if say another company attacked a city owned by an apposing company (another fact I forgot to add into the original post, my mistake)

See, companies would be out to make money and the only way to do that would be to have control over track and stations, and not all would take over them civilly. So, having tracks around the walls and around the city would allow the girls in their War Train forms to move about easily, to protect the city. Outside the city is a different story, I'm not sure what would happen out there, other then War Trains running along side other trains to protect them, which is a possibility, but still needs some work.

as outwardly conventional trains with an anthropomorphic interface e.g. a hologrammatic AI autopilot or control-panel 'face', or alternatively a full human-form variant character that is the spirit of each train like the girls/weaponry of Upotte, or simply girls as Railway Engineers for your SP battle-wagons like GuP did for WW2 armour.

All are idea's I had thought of when I first started working on Gauge Girls concept, but I wanted to sort of detach from what other people have done. There's a game that has the AI interface you mentioned called 'Maitetsu' where that trains have an android operating system, so I stayed away from it. With the whole 'sentient' trains part (Even though I was a die hard Thomas fan as a kid) and things like Upotte and Girls Und Panzer were considered to, but I was trying to stray away from things at are used a lot. I know that I reference Kantai a lot, but I'm using it as more as a style example.

I like to think that the girls are more or less people operating a mechanized steam powered suit with a physical link with the old train the suit is built from, that's how I came to what I have now.

Hope that answers what you guys wanted to know. If you have any other questions or suggestions, feel free to ask.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:36:21 pm »

The Transformers-partly-converted look of a pretty girl with turrets and funnels etc like tumorous growths is just too jarring for me, and any attempt at a plausible engineering backstory for their creation might be too big a leap.

Are you sure it could not work as some form of uncontrolled warts, like a Papillomavirus infection? A type of human Jackalope?

Papilloma yamatus  Grin
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:32:06 am »

Locomotives anthropomorphized into humans in armor? Not a bad idea. But what it really needs is is some Andrew Lloyd Webber music. And some actors on roller skates. And a skating track that goes out over the audience.

And maybe it would look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SgtBash96
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:13:30 am »

Are you sure it could not work as some form of uncontrolled warts, like a Papillomavirus infection? A type of human Jackalope?

Having it look like tumors or growths...not a bad idea for maybe an enemy in the story line, I'll keep that in mind, maybe something like hunted abandoned trains...maybe

Locomotives anthropomorphized into humans in armor? Not a bad idea. But what it really needs is is some Andrew Lloyd Webber music. And some actors on roller skates. And a skating track that goes out over the audience.

Okay, I've never heard of that show, but a little research, its more of about a toy train...and its a re-telling of Cinderella, but least I know I'm not the only one thinking on this
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: