The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 12:13:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get inspiration to do what you do?  (Read 1302 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 05:42:49 am »

I also have an engineering background, the engineering projects of the Victorian era are a good place to start for inspiration, take Crossness Pumping station this was built to pump sewage, the interior would only ever have been seen by the company workers and yet it looks like this

It all very well saying how over designed things were in the Victorian era and yet look how many of them are still standing and still in use compared to more recent structures which were built to the limits of design codes and are now found to be inadequate for modern needs. Personally I believe there is something to be said for building once, doing it right and paying a lot for it but realizing it will last almost forever with maintenance instead of building with a 20 year design life then rebuilding (I know this seems to not be a popular idea these days!) .

Much more colorful than the typical steampunk sepia tones. Costumers and prop makers take note.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 07:14:47 pm »

Call me a cynic if you will, but I have a strong suspicion that, should the question come up today, many of the wealthiest among us would soon start screaming "Why should I pay to get rid of other people's poo?" And the contract would go to the lowest bidder......

Athanor
This is exactly what would happened, the mentality has changed. Crossness Pumping Station would make you proud to work for sewage, but who cares if you're proud of where you work nowadays, as long as the job gets done cheaply?

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 06:24:18 am »

Most of what I make is born, more or less, from necessity, as well as a lack of sufficient funds to simply go and buy other people's products, save for the paintings that I do - and even those tend more toward exercises to learn or develop a technique, or to fill a need for a focal item for some cause or other such as a fundraiser connected (usually, but not always) with a music festival or a similar gathering.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I needed a much more durable and stout case for my flutes and fifes, one that looked at least somewhat period for the reenactments that I perform at, as well as "apochryphal enough," shall we say, to fit in with the steampunk end of things. I managed to acquire a couple of tooling leather bellies and other leatherworking raw materials (it would have been monumentally expensive, but a number of extremely lucky finds made it very affordable; a matter of grabbing what one could when one could, mostly), and voila, a very stout and durable (not to mention extensively carved and embossed) fife/flute case that actually resembles (somewhat) a civil-war period item  of the same type.

I needed something besides the wind-catching sombrero or top hat that I habitually wear to reenactments for winter wear; it can get pretty parky and windy at fall, winter and early spring outdoor venues, and it's really inconvenient for one's hat to blow off during a number - and nerve-wracking as all heck to have to wait until the music stops to go and chase after it.

So, I needed a cap type of hat to wear for such weather. I couldn't afford to go out and buy anything besides a "Greek fisherman's cap," and those just didn't fit the period. So, I searched around and finally found a wheel cap pattern that resembled a cavalry forage cap of a sort sometimes worn by 1830s American cavaliers, with what i recently heard someone call a "hurricane strap" to hold it on in high winds (much easier than designing and sewing in earflaps!). I made one out of felt with a bill that stuck out flat over the eyes like a certain type common in that period, with a pleated wheel crown, out of wool felt. Not the best piece ever made, but it works, stays on (especially when I use the strap! And yes, it does get windy enough to need it around these parts), is warm when it needs to be, not too hot when it doesn't, and actually looks pretty good as long as the wind doesn't blow the crown all askew (it has no sizing fabric or liner - or leather sweatband for that matter - inside). I still wear it to concertina events and other such, as well as the occasional con when i can afford to attend one. I'm planning to make another, improved version, but that and most other things both steampunk and otherwise are on the back burner for now, while other. more pressing projects and concerns are dealt with.

Other projects were made for similar reasons (more than half of my dual-purpose  [steampunk and period performance] costume is either homemade or modified by me by hand, much like most of us here, I imagine, and I make lots of other things for musical or other purposes just because, as I said above, I can't afford them any other way), but those two are sufficient examples for the purposes of this discussion, I think.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:44:06 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 12:13:09 am »

Sometimes I am inspired by one item and that leads to a whole new outfit.  For example I went to an event recently and bought a really badly made 'poofed-up' overskirt.   It was dirt cheap.  Not that I need another outfit, but you know how it is.  I have revised it, and now need to add stuff to it like lights and more lace.  I have made a matching mask in lace to go on my hat and am borrowing a jacket from another outfit to keep me warm.  I bought a suitable corset in a closing down sale last year, also ridiculously cheap and I will amend that next.  And there you have it, a new outfit inspired by a cheap overskirt.  The only reason I am working on it now is that I want to wear it to an event next weekend, so that gave me impetus to do something about it.  I am not one of those people who are ready 6 months in advance.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 01:38:07 am »

Some get inspiration from the works of others.

Some get Inspiration from a bottle  Undecided
           ( that doesn't last long and has dire consequences )

Some get insiration from Stargazing ( highly recommended!!!)  or Sungazing ( not advised)  ...

some get Inspiration from Nature! Go thou and camp for a week! hopefully, the weather cooperates.

yhs
prof (trying to be inspirational) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 02:52:01 am »

just think how many people funded that useless fidget cube on kickstarter and then imagine how many more people would subscribe if the project was to literally get rid of the rivers of poo in the street!

Call me a cynic if you will, but I have a strong suspicion that, should the question come up today, many of the wealthiest among us would soon start screaming "Why should I pay to get rid of other people's poo?" And the contract would go to the lowest bidder......

Athanor

My answer would be
"Because then YOU and your family will not have to suffer thru the Great Cholera Epidemic , as happened so oft' in the dim past....."

those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.....

yhs
prof ( remember - always remember ) marvel
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: